Innaugural Interference Bootleg of the Week - starts 10/7 - Lovetown Rotterdam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
We are going to try and start an Interference Bootleg of the Week club. We'll all listen to the same boot and post reactions, comparisons, and whatever else strikes our fancy. We're starting with Rotterdam 1990-01-10 from Lovetown, which you can get from u2start.

Before we listen, how should this work? Should we have an optional appointedn time-zone sensitive time each Sunday to listen together, and treat this like a setlist party thread during that time? After the group listen is over the thread could continue with more reactions.

And how should we pick new bootlegs? I'm all for hearing people's favorites, many of which are listed in the Favourite Bootleg? thread . We should probably pick the next one by the previous Friday at the latest to give people time to DL. And - Interference protocol question here - do we want one continuous thread, or a weekly thread for each boot (which would make it easy for newcomers to know what we're talking about, and work better with a setlist party-style thread) plus a continuous thread for picking songs? I think the latter.

The idea of a sort of setlist party is pretty sweet, that'd get my interest. I just hope it doesn't happen while I'd be at uni. A pox on difficult timezones!

Yeah it's gonna be hard to coordinate across timezones. Sunday 10am EST is still 1am for you...probably too late. We can also do it at a different time each week so that more people get a chance to participate.

:hi5: great idea! theres loads of boots i still haven't listened to. i'm all about it. the time zone thing is gonna suck but i think having it at a different time each week will work out really well.

We could also do two times - one that's more Australia/Asia friendly and one that's more Europe-America friendly (1pm EST would be my proposal for that - 10am in cali, 6-7pm in Europe).

Or, people who can't tune in could do a little listening log:
"I will follow 1:46 - edge is on fire!
OOC 3:33 - cool snippet!"

Hold on: what if we actually have PLANS for the weekend?? or are you all loners out there??

I think the advantage of the forum is that we can drop our comments at any time.
Otherwise it risks to become an obligation (Sunday mass... whoops, I am being a bit blasphemous here, must rush off to confession :wink: )

Varitek said:
Yeah it's gonna be hard to coordinate across timezones. Sunday 10am EST is still 1am for you...probably too late. We can also do it at a different time each week so that more people get a chance to participate.

I suppose the best idea would be to time it when Interference is at it's most active. That tends to be weekday evenings US time, doesn't it?

And let's be honest, far more people from North America/Europe are likely to participate than from Australia, NZ, and eastern Asia.

Good idea and a good boot choice.

Another great idea would be for somebody to stream the boot as we had the streaming during a few of the setlist threads. I don't know the first thing about that so no help there :(

Two times is good, if there's enough interest.

Edit: I'm not picking shows I don't think, because a bunch of stuff I have isn't readily available at u2start etc. Folks who are doing more current downloading will be better at picking shows that others can actually find & d/l.

Last edited:
CTU2fan, if you have some shows that aren't on U2start that you want to share with us, all the better! I don't know the first thing about streaming but one of the reasons I like this idea is that it will motivate me to collect more awesome boots.

edurban, the idea is that the thread could kick off with the setlist party and then turn into more ordered and composed analysis. So the first few pages would be setlist party style, but after we are finished listening, anyone (especially those who missed the setlist) would be welcome to write their reactions to the show, compare versions of live songs or shows, discuss Bono's range and voice quality, write a concert review, etc. for the whole week.

As for weekend plans, it's not like I (or anyone else) will be around every Sunday. Lots of people like the setlist party idea so I think it would be a fun one if you are available and have the 2 hours (or, we could do shorter shows at busy times of the year...Boy marathon for the holidays!) and if not, just join in later.

Edit:
A weeknight presents the problem of, what week night? I'm only available Wednesdays because of class and work! If it were sunday afternoon EST then the US west coast and Europe would have no problem joining in; if it were at night Europe would be asleep. Axver, hopefully you'll stay up and join us for some of your favorites.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand. I'll be there when I am available or join in as soon as I can.

Anyway, I think it's a brilliant idea and an excellent excuse to listen to other boot other than ZooTV (I am a nostalgic..), which is why I asked the question (favourite bootleg) at the beginning.

better going back to what I am supposed to do now...this forum is eating my life away!

edurban said:
Ok, I understand. I'll be there when I am available or join in as soon as I can.

Anyway, I think it's a brilliant idea and an excellent excuse to listen to other boot other than ZooTV (I am a nostalgic..), which is why I asked the question (favourite bootleg) at the beginning.

better going back to what I am supposed to do now...this forum is eating my life away!

Glad to have you. And welcome to the blue crack.

:crack:

I really like this idea and hope it takes off, if people get into the spirit of it there's no reason why it shouldn't. I'll defintely give my two cents anyway, especially on this particular show, which is perhaps my all time favourite U2 bootleg, and a brilliant gig to use to launch this whole thing, they rarely come any better. All the idea's about discussing live renditions, Bono's voice, and writing reviews are great too. Potentially this could be something really good, if it works.

The time-zone thing and people's different responsibilities could be a bit of a challenge but here's hoping we can pull it together somehow.

Last edited:
Since I seem not to be able to dowload squat from R*apid8share anymore without paying for a lousy membership, maybe bi-weekly is better......................:eyebrow:

No, I did download the Rotterdam one, and been listening to it all afternoon.

I was trying to d'load Dublin 31-12-1989 and it screwed up! argh!!!:mad:

major_panic said:
Hey Ax, what time would it be here in Melb if it was, say, 9pm in North America?

Assuming there's no daylight savings for either, 9pm on the US east coast is 11am for us.

Varitek said:
9pm EST? I like it.

Does this mean 1am for me in the UK? :scratch: mmmm... this means that my monday mornings at work are going to be dedicated to err... cultural exchange... personal research... ummm. :shh:

Hmm...I was sick last night, and it looks like the setlist party didn't happen. But I'm listening now - what a fabulous and fun opening to the show! And great quality recording.

Which track are you on Varitek? I'm on a sublime version of All I Want Is You, Bono's in great voice as are the audience.

I am listening to the bonus tracks. an enlightning treat for a very grey Monday here in London.

The quality is so good, for the time it's remarkable. You could play this to the uninitiated and they'd be fooled into thinking its an official live release.

Thanks for joining in edurban :wave:

What an awe-inspiring version of Bad, everything gels, the band in total sync, Bono's vocals soaring and clear, the snippet of All I Want Is You during the solo is exceptional, it really works, its a shame he's never done it since, a brilliant effect, plus of course Edges long outro, once again never repeated. You can tell they wanted to make this rendition special.

Has to be a contender for one of the best Bad's ever.

Here's an audience shot recording of this particular version for those of you who are interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTBGMAOE94M

Ahhhh....Rotterdam 01-10-90.
I was so lucky to be at that show and it remains the best performance I ever saw.
It was the second time I saw U2 , the first time was the famous Amsterdam 12-18-89 gig.

What also was very cool at Rotterdam was that during Out Of Control , Bono had these buckets of water and threatened to throw it at the crowd and then Larry.
Larry`s face expression was super.

Also the crowd was very loud and jumping up and down all night, especially during Desire & All Along The Watchtower.

And during 40 , a big snake was projected on the backdrop , very funny.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. I feel very fortunate that this show was recorded so great:rockon:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom