Indulge me as I rant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:

ATYCLB is not "classic" U2. They've never repeated themselves, so I've never been able to figure out what this really was supposed to mean.

If you listen to the "classic" U2 lps (Boy, War, JT AB), you hear Edge's guitars, passionate vocals, and songs that, I'll say it again, challenge the listener. I do agree that ATYCLB is more "organic" that Pop in the it sounds somewhat simpler, more like the band simply playing together, but that's it.

:up:

I've been wanting to say this forever, but couldn't exactly find the words.

I was working out in my brother's exercise gym in the basement the other day, and I put on the Slane DVD so I would have some distraction while I lifted weights.

Streets came on and I was mesmerized. It was so incredible, the music, the atmosphere, the crowd. I've missed that so much over the last 4 years.

It's a magical song. I don't know if they will recapture that sort of magic again, but I'm sure willing to go along for the ride and find out.

Djerdap: exactly. Some circles and some fans disliked ATYCLB, but I dare say a lot more circles and fans disliked the 90's U2, which caused them to walk away on the band. Luckily, those fans seemed to come back with ATYCLB.
And that was the problem with Pop. It didn't do what they hoped it would in US. (that said, I do like 6 songs on it)

Martha: yes they don't repeat themselves and I know it's hard to define "classic U2", but by that I meant the sound of Walk on, verses of New york and most definitely "teach me, touch me" riff in Beautiful day. To me, all those are classic Edge sounds. In a way, Kite with its anthemic structure and way of singing is also reminiscent of the 80's times.

U2girl said:

Martha: yes they don't repeat themselves and I know it's hard to define "classic U2", but by that I meant the sound of Walk on, verses of New york and most definitely "teach me, touch me" riff in Beautiful day. To me, all those are classic Edge sounds. In a way, Kite with its anthemic structure and way of singing is also reminiscent of the 80's times.

I can agree with these examples. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom