Indie Rock SCAM: uses U2 for ratings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diemen said:
Because, to be honest, all this hysteria and letter writing is only representing the U2 fanbase as a gullible and bitter crowd to the outside world.

Letter writign to Rollins about this, who had no say in this? Yes I agree.

But I think the radio station should be accountable of what it promotes to viewers.

thanks to everyone replying to this thread...there was something really wrong with this and to those who werent a part of yesterdays stunt, im glad you dont have to feel the anger we do. i have been a part of this forum unofficially for 3 years and started posting about a year ago. i always held off from speaking/ typing my voice but once i did i felt really good. yesterday woke me up and i was really excited to be a U2 fan.

I never had to wait in long lines overnight for tix or the night before a new album was released, so last night was that night for me. It was spoiled in the worst way. Not only were we offended as a body of people who enjoy the work of U2, but I was personally offended by the audacity of one certain radio personality. All I can say is that I'm glad yesterday-Labor Day 2004- Monday Bloody Monday- is over and I pray that action is being taken.

once again Diemen, you must realize, 103.1 advertised that they were going to play "Vertigo".

most of us were under the assumption that it was going to be the last song in the marathon, but still listened to the whole thing just in case.

i'm all about moving on, but i also have the right to be pissed off.

I hoped this wouldn't happen. Yes, I am a bit dissapointed that I did not get to come home to a nice treat; Vertigo. But I can get over that, I will be hearing Vertigo in a very short time, a few weeks actually. What REALLY chaffes my behind is that the people fasely advertised something, did it for their own gain, and left tons of people listening to a station for 8 + hours, because they wouldn't tell thier listeners when they were going to play the song. What they did , as some other hear have already said, was very unethical.

For the record, this station has been playing U2, since they switched formats, it used to be a dance/techno/club music station, then they went to indie rock.

They play obscure, less known U2 songs, this is not the first time they've ever played U2 songs, however, maybe they should have done the marathon on Sunday Bloody Sunday, or another day when Henry wouldn't be there.

Henry, he's gone through 2 bands already, U2's been together 20+years as a band.

A lot of U2 fans, know who Rollins is, you think Jaques Chirac, Paul Martin, Tony Blair, have a clue who Rollins is?

He's made his post- Black Flag career out of bashing U2, if it weren't for U2, how else would he ge,t publicity, look how much space we've wasted on him on a U2 forum.

Let him stick to talking about glow worms and care bears.

Oh btw, some guy from ESPN news, who was also on the I love the 80's, said if anyone sits here and talks about care bears, punch them in the face, he didn't say anything more, than they cut to Rollins, talking about Care Bears. LOL!

Last edited:
I really believed they were going to play it too, but you know I've already put it aside. It was a dirty little trick, but hell I had fun with y'all last night. What a great community here at Interference.

does anyone else get that message email from interference when someone replies to a thread you posted in? I got over 200 emails about that INDIE thing we had going. It was a messed up way to spend my labor night, but in the end it wasnt that bad, I had a good time with the interference crew and I realized I can never be mad at Henry Rollins for hating on u2 because not only is he a jealous bastard, he has the WORST TASTE IN MUSIC EVER!!!!! God, hes so beneath u2 its unbelievable. I got a good kick out of reading the posts last night. But it was messed up how they advertised Vertigo in full awareness about what they were doing.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I really believed they were going to play it too, but you know I've already put it aside. It was a dirty little trick, but hell I had fun with y'all last night. What a great community here at Interference.

I admit I had a ton of fun too. I don't think I've ever had this much with any other band and board in my life. I hope we can all look back on this and see all the fun we had, getting to know each other (and upping our post counts!:sexywink: ) rather than this.

Last edited:
And every time I look at the coffee stain on my chair and floor obtained in the excitement, I'll think of last night...

Yeah guys, I must admit I was mad, but I had alot of fun. Playing spin the bottle, listening to the Fozzie song, insulting Rollins and the DJs, telling jokes... ahhhh...

Thanks for the memories [face_love]

shart1780 said:
Yeah guys, I must admit I was mad, but I had alot of fun. Playing spin the bottle, listening to the Fozzie song, insulting Rollins and the DJs, telling jokes... ahhhh...

Thanks for the memories [face_love]

but then again, think about how truly miserable it could have been had i not been online.

I have to admit, it was kind of fun last night. :D I enjoyed making fun of the commercials (especially yelling out "GRETZKY!" every time the powerdirect.com one came on) and all the cute U2 jokes. At one point, I was so tired I was horny!

I'm still extremely irritated by this whole thing, but it's probably just because I - like everyone else - have been waiting for too long.

Holy crap, I also just noticed something - I made over 200 posts! Two days ago, I only had three to my name...

Wow.

i must ask, is the "Gibson" in your name a reference to my favorite guitar brand?

mikal said:
i must ask, is the "Gibson" in your name a reference to my favorite guitar brand?

Yes! Most people think it's a reference to Mel Gibson... :lol:

You're one of the first to get it right!

GibsonGirl said:

Yes! Most people think it's a reference to Mel Gibson... :lol:

You're one of the first to get it right!

Strangely enough, I never even thought of Mel Gibson...but then again I do spend a heck of a lot more time thinking about Gibson guitars than Gibson, Mel... :huh:

Thank god I wAS busy doing other things but I feel sorry for those that were lied to, this is complete bullshit. I am thinking that all this publicity..good or bad will make the station popular anyway. If the major media get a hold of it, it will give this indie station what it wants, exposure. There seems to be no win win situation.

Back
Top Bottom