Indie Kids Stickin' Up For U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not particularly too excited by it, but it's still good to see. A lot of my friends are musical elitists, though, and my tastes are predominately not mainstream, though U2 are one of my favourite bands. They don't see me as any less of a person, which I'm happy for, as I still think any sort of elitism is ridiculous.

But, fook that. It's good. :)

It's always debatable how truly mainstream U2 is.

On one hand, you have a band that sells millions of albums, wins Grammy awards, is on TV, sells out tours around the globe, is on magazine covers, has hit singles, etc., etc., etc. Clearly this would give anyone the impression that this is a big-time mainstream group.

But on the other hand, a quick listen to U2's music and it's clear that they never really fit in the mainstream - in fact, sometimes they are the ones creating the new mainstream! JT, in 1987, sounded like nothing else out there. AB, in '91/'92, was the opposite of grunge rock. AB had very thought-provoking and dark lyrics, but it also had more upbeat styles in music and sound. It stood out in an era of grunge. In '00, ATYCLB was an incredibly fresh rock sound when bubblegum pop solo acts and boy bands dominated the scene. HTDAAB has a bit of competition with Green Day (for the punk elements) and with Coldplay (for the more classic U2 sounds), and a few other bands like The Killers and Franz Ferdinand and Snow Patrol - i.e., other artists clearly influenced by U2. Still, at this moment in time, this is but a handful of artists in an era dominated by rap and R&B. Yet despite this, U2 is still forging new ground, creating new sounds with songs like "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars".

So when one considers how "on the edge" U2 is musically and lyrically, one could hardly call them "mainstream".

As such, U2 is a conundrum - wildly popular for not producing songs that fit in with what's considered wildly popular! Hence it doesn't surprise me if the indie crowd shows some respect.

This is the thing that bugs me a lot when people start saying U2 are crap.

If you look at the favourite bands of those who say it, you will find a number of bands that love U2 or were influenced by them.

Coldplay....who are greatly influenced by U2 and love them, yet you will find Coldplay fans saying U2 is crap:huh: I don't get that.

Radiohead fans....there is a U2 influence there as Ed's favourite guitarist i believe is Edge...i remember a story from around Popmart where he met Edge for the first time and he went all fanboyish around him hehe. Thom i think is also a U2 fan....yet you will get Radiohead fans saying u2 are crap.

REM...though not influenced by U2...Stipe and co certainly love the guys...

The Killers....again influenced by U2...all members of the band love U2 and use them as a reference point for how to carry out their business as a band...yet there are Killers fans who hate U2....

The Arcade Fire....Win of the Arcade Fire saw U2 live when he was 16, says it was one of the best shows he ever saw....so i think its fair to say that he is a fan....

Snow Patrol...again influenced by U2...yet dissed by Snow Patrol fans....

Pearl Jam....Eddie has been to every U2 tour i believe since ZooTV

Really i can't understand the hate for U2 from some of these groups of fans...i am fine if they don't like the music but some respect for it would be nice...rather than saying the cliche that 'edge has been playing the same song for 30 years....'

Furthermore, LJT, one can easily argue that groups like Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Pearl Jam, The Killers, etc., are hardly mainstream themselves! All have had huge-selling albums or chart-topping hits. All have played in front of huge crowds (admittedly, some as just the opening band). But their success hardly makes them some tiny, unknown "indie" band. As such, if fans of these artists are bitching about U2 being "too popular", then they shouldn't look too closely in the mirror.

I actually found that quite comical....all the members either joining up on "Jonny Appleseed's side" or "Matthew's side". No one has their own opinion....

I find it all quite hypocritical, at least with the "indie kids" I know.. they think they're better than me when I wear U2 t-shirts because its "mainstream" and not "individual", when I'm the only one wearing U2 and they're all in their matching Alkaline Trio shirts or whatever. I like music for what it is, not what kind of scene it represents.

{paintedroses} said:
I find it all quite hypocritical, at least with the "indie kids" I know.. they think they're better than me when I wear U2 t-shirts because its "mainstream" and not "individual", when I'm the only one wearing U2 and they're all in their matching Alkaline Trio shirts or whatever. I like music for what it is, not what kind of scene it represents.

That's cause "indie" is the other side of the coin from "mainstream."

Same shit.

Different clothes.

That would be me near the end of that string of comments. :D

OMG, I'm so indie, posting on Steregum!

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
That's cause "indie" is the other side of the coin from "mainstream."

Same shit.

Different clothes.

Uh huh. And the same tiresome, reflexive patting themselves on the back for not being "one of those self-righteous snobs". That used to be an exclusively indie shortcoming, but not anymore...

Back
Top Bottom