Indian Summer Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gavinguggi

Babyface
My advice to every one:
Just listen to this energizing, breath taking piece of music, just 4 minutes of everything that symbolized U2. Rousing bass, strong drums, catchy guitar, and the best voice Bono ever had.
Love this song!!

This song kind of sounds like crap to me. It has no melody, anywhere. No groove. No point. :drool:

I suppose "MP" would look too much like "Military Police" or something...

ISS is a decent track, but not my current favourite from UF by a long shot. :shrug:

When The Unforgettable Fire came out I thought it was a bit "same-ish" but Indian Summer Sky stood out for some reason. I grew to LOVE the album and even after all these years Indian Summer Sky remains a favourite.

It has a dark feel to it which I love in U2 tracks (Drowning Man, Running to Stand Still, Please, Another Time Another Place, God Part II)

Indian Summer Sky needs to be played live on the next tour, amazing tune which is too often overlooked...

I admit I turn up the volume when it comes on my player. I love Bono's voice in it.

gavinguggi said:
My advice to every one:
Just listen to this energizing, breath taking piece of music, just 4 minutes of everything that symbolized U2. Rousing bass, strong drums, catchy guitar, and the best voice Bono ever had.
Love this song!!

:yes:

This thread actually inspired me to go dig ot UF and giv it an airing. And am glad i did. Sometimes you can forget how great an album it is. Indian Summer Sky just takes me somewhere that only promenade, wire and Bad can also take me.... and it makes me happy. I really enjoy all the tracks (even 4th of July) but think Homecoming is the weakest link. I like the song etc etc, but feel the version is a bit lame and flat.

Last edited:
ok i'm really weird, but i like to listen to this song every June 21st, it being "the longest day of the year".

on this the longest day...

Anyways a good song.

Btw, if I remember, I also try and listen to New Years Day on Jan 1st, MLK and Pride on Jan 15 and Apr. 4th, 4th of July on July 4, and October in October!

I like the Indian like chanting that is in the background during the chorus. Is it the chorus? i can't remember which part now, but does anyone know who is doing it? It doesn't particularly sound like Bono or Edge to me.

indeed, Indian Summer Sky but also Wire really really have to be played again on the next tour!!:drool:

theoriginal said:
I like the Indian like chanting that is in the background during the chorus. Is it the chorus? i can't remember which part now, but does anyone know who is doing it? It doesn't particularly sound like Bono or Edge to me.

I always thought that was Daniel Lanois.

gavinguggi said:
My advice to every one:
Love this song!!

In other words it's everything an Arcade Fire song aspires to ?

Got it

:wink:

theoriginal said:

I'm bumping this thread cause I was wondering about this too...Daniel Lanios was my first guess too but then someone suggested to me that it was bono layred over bono...does anyone know who it is?

Always sounded like Lanois to me, but there are definitely a few people in there. Eno's billed as singing, but I don't know if he's on there...probably is. Adam & Larry may be in there, too...I dunno. But I think I can definitely pick out Lanois there. :yes:

As for it being played live....it was only 9 times:

· 1984-10-18 - Lyon, France - Espace Tony Garnier
· 1984-10-22 - Bordeaux, France - Pattinoire
· 1984-10-23 - Nantes, France - St. Herblain
· 1984-10-27 - Brussels, Belgium - Vorst National
· 1984-11-02 - London, England - Brixton Academy
· 1984-11-03 - London, England - Brixton Academy
· 1984-11-09 - Manchester, England - Apollo Theater
· 1985-02-02 - Munich, Germany - Rudi-Sedlmayer-Halle
· 1985-02-04 - Milan, Italy - Teatro Tenda Lampugnano
(courtesy of Axver!)

I think that youtube link shows a reason why it wasn't done more live. It's good, but it's nowhere near the power of the album version. They had a hard time with a lot of the UF stuff when playing it live. It's a shame there aren't more video boots of the UF tour...there are only a few out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom