In one form or another, U2 really hasn't put out a bad record. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 02:26 AM
In one form or another, U2 really hasn't put out a bad record.

Maybe the actual albums were weak, but the songs were always there. Take POP for example. Listening to the versions from the actual albums, I would say its not that great. However, the live versions of Please, LNOE, and show just how amazing these songs are. When I take all the outtakes, live versions U2 puts out and compile them into my own version of the albums, almost every one is classic in my mind. For a band that has been around this long, thats pretty incredible. I wish I could say the same thing for R.E.M.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:26 AM
I agree. We may have our biases and preferences but they haven't even made the first of two "crap albums and you're out".

Old 12-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:26 PM
I don't like all of their albums equally, but I think they each captured a moment and have a reason to exist. Some bands record new albums simply to have a product, an excuse to tour, or whatever. But U2 seems to still be exploring new avenues. Their discography is very strong as a whole. Even if I don't like the direction they took on a particular album, at least they went at it full-force. It's kind of weird, but there's some comfort in knowing someone made an album I dislike if they made it without compromising their artistic credibility.

I'd say Rattle and Hum is their worst album simply because the studio/live mix feels so sloppy. I think it would've been stronger if they, say, made it a double album with the studio and live parts on separate discs (even if it meant including some lesser studio tracks to fill out the studio disc).
Old 12-16-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
I think "October" is pretty darn crappy. Not a memorable song on the entire album, in my opinion.

I also don't like Rattle and Hum because of the covers and the gospel choir on I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is atrocious....but R&H has some classic songs like Desire, All I Want Is You, and Angel of Harlem. But October is just dull and unmemorable.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I agree. We may have our biases and preferences but they haven't even made the first of two "crap albums and you're out".
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:06 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tennispunk
I think "October" is pretty darn crappy. Not a memorable song on the entire album, in my opinion.
I think the title track is hauntingly beautiful. Just lovely in its simplicity.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:26 AM
every album is good to me.

some are cosmic.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

I'd say Rattle and Hum is their worst album simply because the studio/live mix feels so sloppy. I think it would've been stronger if they, say, made it a double album with the studio and live parts on separate discs (even if it meant including some lesser studio tracks to fill out the studio disc).
Agreed... and what the hell they were thinking when they chose the live songs to include I have no idea. I understand they were all pretty sensitive about even having Sunday Bloody Sunday in the movie, but there were many great songs that for whatever reason didn't make the album - Streets, Exit ( ), WOWY... I guess they didn't want to make a "Joshua Tree Live" album, but that's essentially what Lovetown Tour was, y'know? Plus I would have taken any of those over, say, BTBS any day (Bullet doesn't seem complete to me...I can't listen to it unless it's the ZooTV version or beyond. ZooTV is best though...pure perfection. To me, BTBS didn't exist til ZooTV.)

Back to the original subject - I agree 100%. October, Rattle and Hum, and (I'm gonna get smashed for this one) The Unforgettable Fire are pretty mediocre for me, but they're still in my top 30 albums of all time, probably top 20. Every single album has at least a couple songs that blow me away. Also, I'm not sure if there's a single song that wasn't improved somehow live.

If you honestly think U2 has made a crap album, try comparing what you think is U2's worst album to the pop music of today. Even something that qualifies as "rock" such as Hoobastank... it'll put things into perspective a bit.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:28 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
If you honestly think U2 has made a crap album, try comparing what you think is U2's worst album to the pop music of today. Even something that qualifies as "rock" such as Hoobastank... it'll put things into perspective a bit.

It's all relative.

I do wish that they'd included the live version of WOWY on Rattle and Hum, though.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Yah agreed they haven't done anything really bad, but can we PLEASE stop comparing U2 to the pop music that generally tops the charts? The acts who produce that rubbish are not U2's peers. Fellow bands of a similar creative stature (take your pick) are their true peers, and they should be judged accordingly.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #11
Refugee

You are 100% correct. No song U2 has done has ever made me squirm. Again, some albums are better than others.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

What a happy thread
Old 12-16-2004, 08:16 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by tennispunk

How many times have you listened to it? It is my least favorite U2 album but there are some great songs (Gloria, October, Rejoice, Tomorrow). Maybe you have given it a chance, but, for me, the album was definitely a grower.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

october is their worst album in my view, but it's still a good record which I listen to every few months. They've never had a bad record. If they took away the few mistakes on R&H, it could have been so much better. I still think it was a great record.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:34 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Agree with bsp77.