"In America" and its inspirations...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MixingBliss

The Fly
I apologize profusely if this topic has already been discussed.

So I just checked out the movie trailer online for the new Jim Sheridan film, "In America." www.foxsearchlight.com/inamerica. As many of you probably already know, this is the movie for which Gavin Friday and Maurice Seezer wrote music, which includes Bono's contribution on "Time Enough for Tears."

Watching the trailer made me think that this movie seems to have a stronger link to "The Hands That Built America" than even "Gangs of New York." (The basis of the story is an Irish family emmigrating to New York in search of a better life.) It also made me wonder if perhaps this film is partly what has deepened Bono's new romance with America (a romance that dates to the mid-'80s, of course, but has taken on a new dimension in the last few years).

It's also gratifying because, as much as I liked "Gangs," this film seems a lot more serious and more meaningful... relevant, I guess. It seems like something a person could have a personal attatchment too, unlike "Gangs." I seriously doubt many people go around saying, "Yeah--'Gangs of New York'--that's a movie that changed my *life*."

Watching the film trailer also made another song title spring very forcefully into my mind: "Electrical Storm." I can't say exactly why, but if you watch the trailer you'll probably understand.

This is also fascinating to me, because ever since the "Best of" album came out I've been bewildered by the contrast between these two newest songs--thematically and musically. Since they evidently both came from the same time period, I'm curious if this film is sort of the inspirational link between the two. I'm assuming that Sheridan has been working on the film for the last two years or more, a time period that would line up with the writing and recording of "Hands" and "Storm."

Anyway, it looks like a phenomenal movie. I can't wait for November and can't wait to hear the soundtrack.

I'd be interested to hear what others' reactions are to the preview.

I totally forgot we had that song to look forward to. silly, because I love Bono, Seezer, and Gavin's work on In The Name of the Father. i remember watching the preview and being impressed.

Back
Top Bottom