In A Little While vs. The Sweetest Thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadiens1160 said:
Yeah, especially the bridge section with the random jam and Bono impersonating a failing car engine.

:lmao: That was great!

IALW for me. I don't really like Bono's singing in it but I like the guitar a lot. The Sweetest Thing, particularly the Best Of edit, reeks of shitty pop music in the worst way possible.

coolian2 said:
The Sweetest Thing is an average pop song. The B-Side Sweetest Thing is 200% better.

I totally agree that the original b-side is best. I liked the edited version when it first come out, but now It makes me vomit :yuck:

Canadiens1160 said:
When In A Little While slips into

My how you've grown
Well it's been a little while

the song just carries you home on its back. It's a lot like Eric Clapton's rendition of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. Something so perfect you could just break it off the record and eat it like sugar candy.

:up:

If all Pop music had a guitar and bass line like Sweetest thing

:tsk: :tsk:

This is a difficult one. While The Sweetest Thing is a perfect pop song, In A Little While gives a great mix of rock, r&b and soul. I really like them both and wish they were performed more and having one after the other live would be so awesome! In the end even though The Sweetest Thing is catchier, In A Little While is more interesting and I think I have found myself listening to that one more often than the other. So In A Little While it is. Great songs both of them though.

I think IALW is one of Bono's better lyrics from the post-2000 era, and can stand with all the stuff from the 80s and 90s. It has atmosphere, style, depth, and a great but subtle melody that crawls under your skin and stays there. A perfect example of great pop music. The only thing that bugs me is the synth. Why the hell did they have to use a synth on every damn song on that record?

Back
Top Bottom