In A Little While is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
...as for it being the best song of this decade, I don't know. I'd put Stuck, Kite, Sometimes and Original of the species ahead.

I'd add Walk On also but I agree with this response the most.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Gotta agree with this-I don't really understand that remark, either. Why be bothered by the fact that someone else likes this song?

If it makes you feel any better, tink, I smile when I hear that opening music, too :) :hug:.

Angela

Agreed ... to each his own. Fair enough if you don't like it, but there's no need to mock those who do.

And, btw, inmyplace, Ultra Violet is one of my favourites too. No hard feelings :)

tink, I was just being vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. I'm back to my normal self. I don't hate IALW either, I'm indifferent to it. Whatever song makes you happy is one worth listening to, though.

I thought I'd add a further explanation for why I think IALW is the best U2 song of the decade so far...

See, the thing is, I'm one of those '90s U2 rules all' people. And U2 were in a place from 1993-1998(maybe even 1999) where they were drifting further and further from the mainstream. And when I listen to any of the tracks off Pop, and then listen to IALW, it sounds like the same band. I can't say that about any other song on ATYCLB or HTDAAB. I'm not verbalizing this very well, but I just feel like, if U2 had opted to continue moving away from the mainstream, keep going with the 'fuck off if you don't like it' attitude, and all that, that they may have made music reminiscent of what IALW is - very soulful, almost jazzy in some parts. That is why I say IALW is the best song of the decade so far.

namkcuR: I somewhat understand your point... musically at least! Cos it was no doubt a totally different direction for them. But lyrically, apart from the 'scatter of light' verses, I don't see anything special.

"...surely you'll be mine?" :shrug:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
namkcuR: I somewhat understand your point... musically at least! Cos it was no doubt a totally different direction for them. But lyrically, apart from the 'scatter of light' verses, I don't see anything special.

"...surely you'll be mine?" :shrug:

Granted they're very simple lyrics, but I'd take them over most of the lyrical content on HTDAAB anyday.

And let's just imagine for this purpose that if U2 had gone in that direction and made lots of songs like this, Bono would have penned deeper lyrics for some of them :wink:

Definately not the best song of the decade.

And I'm not totally sure what the big deal with Kite is, either. I mean, the "I'm a man" part and the chorus are great, but the guitar in the song reminds me of the Dixie Chicks or something akin to that.:huh:

Last edited:
Oh, man, how did I miss this thread until now?

Unlike so much of the stuff U2 has done since the year 2000 in which they try soooo hard to be soulful but don't quite achieve it - or miss the mark entirely - In a Little While is the real deal. You can just hear Bono fighting his "hangover voice" and ending up sounding like Marvin Gaye or Otis Redding at the end. It's beautiful.

I listened again IALW, very very cool song :hmm: :heart: cool melody also, but, forgive me, it doesn't reach the passion and beauty of Walk on or Kire, only considering ATYCLB

I think it's the best tune off of All That You Can't Leave Behind. It's usually the last song I listen to off that album, too. I really can't stand the songs after it.

It's so great in my opinion because it's a much different sort of song than I ever expected from U2, a little more blue-eyed soul than I thought they'd record.

Quite honestly, I'd be happy if they ditched both Elevation and Beautiful Day and did this one on the third leg.

namkcuR said:

Granted they're very simple lyrics, but I'd take them over most of the lyrical content on HTDAAB anyday.

Ok, now I see why you could think IALW is the best U2 song this decade. You don't think very highly of HTDAAB. Like I said before, I like IALW, but it's probably not in my top 10 of the '00s stuff. I think HTDAAB is their 2nd best album, only behind Achtung, so alot of those songs rank higher than IALW for me.

Back
Top Bottom