In A Little While

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blm

New Yorker
Just heard this on the radio, and it reminded me that: Bono can do it: It IS a love song, a Bono written one, so I know there will be a disagreement here.
But, it is sweet, simple and honest.:up:

Last edited:
I love this song so much!
Definitely one of the best on ATYCLB
The guitar riff is awesome.

:yes: Love the guitar and the lyrics, but it's the vocal that really makes the song.

I love the summery guitar melody and the "scatter of light" middle 8. But I'm not crazy about the somewhat direct and elementary verse lyrics. Good song though, overall. Very different for U2! :up:

U2girl said:
:yes: Love the guitar and the lyrics, but it's the vocal that really makes the song.

Yeah, I like Adam's comment about it. He says "It is sung in a very broken voice and believe me Bono was very broken that day." Bono recorded the vocal at about 6:00 in the morning after having been out drinking and partying all night long. Talk about stepping into the songs. LOL

Dana

My favorite from ATYCLB and one of my favorite U2 songs ever. So relaxing and soothing, I love the way Bono sings it.

I love the song, Bono's rough vocals fit it perfectly. I think it's my favourite song from the album. I especially love the middle 8 of the song. It's not purely a love song, though, they've always said it's about a hangover, so the situation in which it was recorded is quite fitting.

Unicorn and rihansu,
I love to know the behind the scenes stuff about u2 songs. Where did/do you get the info-from their books mostly?
Thanks much for your information !!
Bono's voice always sounds like there is a story to tell-so personal and real, the "imperfections" take it to another level for me.:drool:

My favorite part: :heart:

In a little while I won't be blown by every breeze
Friday night running to Sunday on my knees
That girl, that girl, she's mine
Well I've known her since
Since she was a little girl with Spanish eyes
When I saw her in a pram they pushed her by
My how you've grown
Well, it's been, it's been a little while

JCOSTER said:
My how you've grown
Well, it's been, it's been a little while

I really don't mean to rain on your parade but that last line doesn't sit well with me. It's almost like he couldn't think of anything else to say and just went "it's been.... been... :hmm: been a little while."

i love Bono's songwriting and most of his lyrics, but why do two of his best recent "love songs" ..this one, and "Original of the Species" have a mixed subject, where he can't decide if he's addressing a romantic lover or a child?

it's disorienting at best, and disturbing at worst...

Zootlesque said:

I really don't mean to rain on your parade but that last line doesn't sit well with me. It's almost like he couldn't think of anything else to say and just went "it's been.... been... :hmm: been a little while."

He is saying that the woman that he hasn't seen in awhile has grown and is looking mighty fine. The last time he saw her she wasn't looking like that thus, the line ending, take into consideration the tone of his voice while he is saying it.

dr. zooeuss said:
i love Bono's songwriting and most of his lyrics, but why do two of his best recent "love songs" ..this one, and "Original of the Species" have a mixed subject, where he can't decide if he's addressing a romantic lover or a child?

it's disorienting at best, and disturbing at worst...

Many U2 songs are layered with meaning. I enjoy that.

For me, "In A Little While" is a small gem that grows with each listen. It ends up outshining many of the singles from ATYCLB.

In A Little While is my second-favourite song from ATYCLB, I absolutely adore it, :heart: It's also one of my favourite performances from Bono, the scratchy broken vocals suit the song so well. I like how all of U2's love songs are bittersweet at the core.

Guys you've seen the Elevation DVD, right? You know he wrote this about a hangover? And then when Joey Ramone heard it on his death bed Bono says it became a "gospel" song. Not that it can't also easily be viewed as a love song, like almost all of Bono's lyrics it is layered with meaning, but it's like part II to TTTYAATW. Not quite as sweet as other love songs Bono has written (and yes, he can do it, he has done it many times).

Man dreams one day to fly
A man takes a rocket ship into the sky
Lives on a star that's dying in the night
And follows in the trail, the scatter of light

:heart:

Very close to, if not the, best bridge U2 has done. U2 are the master of these quiet little songs that don't have many gears but are adored all the same.

blm said:
Just heard this on the radio, and it reminded me that: Bono can do it: It IS a love song, a Bono written one, so I know there will be a disagreement here.
But, it is sweet, simple and honest.:up:

Sorry to delude you (*smile*): But this isn't a plain love song, too. It the classic Bono approach, to show the light & darkness sides of love: with a man, who has a wound inside of him, an aching wound, despaired & hoping for salvation by his love, ("In a little while, this hurt will hurt no more"), knowing that "home" is, where the heart is. A man knowing, he is vulnerable, knowing, he is not stable, knowing about his uncertainty – being in balance again only with his love ("I won't be blown by every breeze") ...
Perfect by the way, was the a capella snippet of the tune, Bono performed at the end of "I Still Haven't Found ..." – in this way coming to full circle with this story about the endless wanderer ...

great song :up:
one o fthose songs that you're already fully into the song after the first 2 seconds

Amazing song... I still wish that I'd be able to hear it in concert one day.

One of my favourite renditions of this actually comes from the "A Day in the life of the Edge" documentary by Bono, where he remarks that 'it's just become an Elvis movie' after they play it at the beach...

EDIT: here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4bQntdXIE

From about 6.30, the song starts 6.55 proper.

Last edited:
Val said:

Many U2 songs are layered with meaning. I enjoy that.

For me, "In A Little While" is a small gem that grows with each listen. It ends up outshining many of the singles from ATYCLB.

yes, i know that, thank you. :wink:

i'm just saying i think it works better lyrically to combine romantic love with something like spiritual love// love for God (a la 'Mysterious Ways" "All Because of You" "With or Without You") than with love for a child...

not that it completely ruins the song for me by any stretch, i just find it harder to explain to a non-U2 fan... musically i agree it is one of their best this decade, and probably in my top 10 or 20 all time U2 favorites.

also love the subtle turntable at the beginning.

this song deserved release as a single more than "elevation" - imo, one of our local radio stations plays it more than anything else off atyclb :up:

dr. zooeuss said:
this song deserved release as a single more than "elevation" - imo, one of our local radio stations plays it more than anything else off atyclb :up:

Yes! Definitely! Elevation video was total crap. Maybe this one would have got a nice summery video!

And I agree... that clip from the Day In The Life of The Edge is beautiful! I think it actually helped me appreciate this song and the melody even more!

Back
Top Bottom