Improveverywhere.com does U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wenda

New Yorker
My friend directed me to this site for this group based in NYC that does, well, improv everywhere and after looking around found they had done a U2 prank.

Here's the explanation and this is the clip they have up .

They have a DVD coming out too. Hilarious stuff, but the U2 one is great!

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place :)

Well, it is wrong. But the fact that they could orchestrate something like that boggles the mind. That's what enthralled me.

How is this wrong?

They seem like fans themselves and it's a nod to their fandom.

I loved the video and story.

Dude! It's been too long.

And yeah, while it's misleading to the fans, you gotta laugh at it. It's just funny.

Screwtape2 said:

If you thought you saw U2 performing and found out that it was fake, wouldn't you think it was wrong?
Wenda is right though, you have to be impressed by the fact they pulled this off.

If I was dumb enough to believe that was really U2 on a rooftop, then I'd probably walk right into oncoming traffic.

wenda said:
Dude! It's been too long.

Hey! you're right, it has. :hug:

LemonMacPhisto said:

If I was dumb enough to believe that was really U2 on a rooftop, then I'd probably walk right into oncoming traffic.

This has been posted before here - and it is well done.

However, I can easily see how fans would be fooled - and I bet you'd very much so walk into oncoming traffic.

Let's re-examine U2's past. "Streets" - filmed on a rooftop. Almost no mention of it, then slowly word got out and crowds formed (which is why the video was shut down). Then U2 did "Beautiful Day" on a rooftop in the U.K. (as a promotional performance). They also did "Vertigo". Then, let's not forget U2's back of a truck tour through the streets of NYC in 2004!

A fan aware of at least some of these performances and who knows U2 are in town, might very well believe that this was U2 - perhaps doing a video or a plethora of other promotional events (iPod, Africa, MTV, etc.). And given that the fans are far away from the performers, one could believe that this could be U2.

So walk on into traffic my friend, walk on. :sexywink:

doctorwho said:

This has been posted before here - and it is well done.

However, I can easily see how fans would be fooled - and I bet you'd very much so walk into oncoming traffic.

Let's re-examine U2's past. "Streets" - filmed on a rooftop. Almost no mention of it, then slowly word got out and crowds formed (which is why the video was shut down). Then U2 did "Beautiful Day" on a rooftop in the U.K. (as a promotional performance). They also did "Vertigo". Then, let's not forget U2's back of a truck tour through the streets of NYC in 2004!

A fan aware of at least some of these performances and who knows U2 are in town, might very well believe that this was U2 - perhaps doing a video or a plethora of other promotional events (iPod, Africa, MTV, etc.). And given that the fans are far away from the performers, one could believe that this could be U2.

So walk on into traffic my friend, walk on. :sexywink:

Yes, but the guy sounds nothing like Bono, and all of those instances for promoting other events.

I doubt U2 would perform across the street from a venue they are about to play in a day or two.

I found this very funny when this happend because this story still, today is talked by a lot of people, I remember when they first did it..I remember reading somewhere that some people where flipping them off because they knew it was fake, and other people believed this happend...It's a smart/funny joke, If I had the idea, I'd definently do it for laughs...And I thought this thing happend hours before U2 played there...You got to give the guys props for thinking about this:wink:

Very clever! This is the first I've heard about it. Sounds like it would have been hilarious to witness. The videos cracked me up. So obviously NOT U2, but a great idea nonetheless. :D

LemonMacPhisto said:

Yes, but the guy sounds nothing like Bono, and all of those instances for promoting other events.

I doubt U2 would perform across the street from a venue they are about to play in a day or two.

Maybe a SUPER fan wouldn't be fooled, but I can see a more casual fan being fooled.

I doubt I'd be fooled because most likely I'd know about such an event from people here and other U2 sites. But if I was, and then discovered I was fooled, I don't think I'd be too irate. U2 was in town, there's bound to be copycats. I would actually think it was a U2 cover band trying to emulate U2 and gain exposure.

this was before the may MSG show... it was sorta silly, but not one of their better skits.

i do like these guys, though.. they do great work. i get their e-mails and always debate joining up in one of their skits but at the last second always puss out.

check out the no pants and the cell phone skits. hilarity ensues.

doctorwho said:

Maybe a SUPER fan wouldn't be fooled, but I can see a more casual fan being fooled.

I doubt I'd be fooled because most likely I'd know about such an event from people here and other U2 sites. But if I was, and then discovered I was fooled, I don't think I'd be too irate. U2 was in town, there's bound to be copycats. I would actually think it was a U2 cover band trying to emulate U2 and gain exposure.

I see what you're saying.

Personally, I'd feel stupid to think it's the real U2. I'd still watch that group up there just for fun though, similar to what you said.

Back
Top Bottom