Images for cool U2 t-shirts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I bought some printer transfer paper the other day so that I could make a few U2 t-shirts... Was thinking of making one like the u2.com shirt that says "Boys Play Rock 'n' Roll" (don't feel like paying $25 + shipping for a shirt that's so easy to make!).

I was also thinking that we could all post images from U2 shirts that we've made---that way others can use the images & make their own, too. So, if you've got an image from a shirt you made, post it here!

i like that idea...come on people!

heh alas...i dont have any fancy image editing programs...lol

i would love if someone posted 'the larry mullen band' t-shirt design..and maybe adam's 'poptart' design

my brother made one with a bunch of the phrases from the zootv fly in a little graphic he made. he was in maybe grade 9 or 10 at the time so his graphical prowess hadn't peaked yet (he went on to make those little band smilies you see around) but it was a neat idea. just too bad he never went back and made a really cool better one. but he really doesn't care about u2 anymore so not much chance of that.

You can design your own t-shirt designs and have them printed at Zazzle(dot)com, it's a great website. There are already lot of U2 type designes on there, check it out!

TSMLite.jpg

minus the discoball on the front

back.jpg

and the back

also, I haven't made this yet, but when I get around to it again

bonofront.jpg

front

bonoback.jpg

back

Utoo said:
I bought some printer transfer paper the other day so that I could make a few U2 t-shirts... Was thinking of making one like the u2.com shirt that says "Boys Play Rock 'n' Roll" (don't feel like paying $25 + shipping for a shirt that's so easy to make!).

I have that shirt! I :heart: it! Well, I got it as a Christmas present so the money didn't matter that much to me. :lol:

What I'd love to make is a shirt that had all these symbols in a row:

- the Joshua Tree tree
- the AB baby
- the Pop lemon with shopping cart
- the ATYCLB suitcase
- the HTDAAB vertigo symbol

I'm just having a hard time searching the net for plain, stand-alone images of these symbols...

What font do you guys think the '7' on Edge's Elevation shirt is? Here's a close-up pic:

front_vert_super_sz1000_qt70.jpg

The closest I've found so far is the 'Rockwell' font on PowerPoint.

Coexist.

The REAL shirts go for 80 bucks. But you can make your own by downloading a hi-res version from google images, printing it on the paper, and ironing it on your shirt. Be sure you closely cut out the letters and symbols, though; otherwise you'll get a tranfer ring around your image.

Utoo said:
What font do you guys think the '7' on Edge's Elevation shirt is? Here's a close-up pic:
The closest I've found so far is the 'Rockwell' font on PowerPoint.

The serifs are close enough using Rockwell (though a little thin), except the mid-section of the numeral is too curvy. Still, that's the closest I could find as well. If you're able to up the width to 130% & the heighth to 110% (I did this in Adobe InDesign) then it looks even more similar.

I don't have a very extensive font library here at home, but you may actually need to use a graphic design program such as Adobe Illustrator to get the strokes precise as they are on Edge's t-shirt.

I need to build my collection of U2 t-shirts. I have 3 total--my favorite was actually bought off of E-Bay. Here's a picture:

u2_tee.jpg

It's simple, but I :heart: it.

LPU2 said:
Coexist.

The REAL shirts go for 80 bucks. But you can make your own by downloading a hi-res version from google images, printing it on the paper, and ironing it on your shirt. Be sure you closely cut out the letters and symbols, though; otherwise you'll get a tranfer ring around your image.

:hmm: I didn't pay 80 bucks for my coexist shirt... Where are ya looking?

Here's mine...
mycoexisttshirt.jpg

I lie those with the Africa. I'm going to do a Larry Mullen Band one. I found someone selling the shirt on u2tour.de, but they don't ship to the U.S. and I can't read that language.

Utoo said:

- the Joshua Tree tree
- the AB baby
- the ATYCLB suitcase

I'm just having a hard time searching the net for plain, stand-alone images of these symbols...

that's a great idea, how cool would that be??

Queen Bee said:

click to enlarge

Prints replicated by evieangelique :up:

:up: thanks Queen Bee,
I was looking for those. i knew they were posted a few months ago but I couldn't find them.

I made some ages ago, intending to make tshirts but never did...

u23.png

u24.png

If anyone wants any images made up I'm happy to take requests. I love playing around with stuff. :)

Ahahah, thanks QB for the pimpage. :up: This one here is my personal triumph. As done on the weekend:

0003ak4h

swekpi.jpg

Edited to cut my big head out of the picture :reject:

Last edited:
Be careful everyone. You are talking about using copyrighted images. When you "design" your t-shirt, make it very different from anything the band sells or you what have seen already (such as the coexist image, the One/Africa continent image or a t-shirt The Edge wears).

Cassandra, none of us are using these images for profit - we're making them for our own use. When I originally posted the ONE t-shirt designs I specifically mentioned that I knew that putting them on shirts and selling them would be violating a copyright on those images, and so I asked that people not use them on Cafepress shirts, etc. in order to cover my ass. Unfortunately, the internet being what it is, it's impossible to cover every base, but my original intention was to make it absolutely freely available. Besides, people have worn these shirts to concerts and have even been noticed by the band in them, and I haven't heard any rumblings about being sued :wink:

Anyway, I'm not making the Listen With Caution design freely available for that precise reason, in fact. :shrug:

Last edited:
evieangelique said:
Cassandra, none of us are using these images for profit - we're making them for our own use. When I originally posted the ONE t-shirt designs I specifically mentioned that I knew that putting them on shirts and selling them would be violating a copyright on those images, and so I asked that people not use them on Cafepress shirts, etc. in order to cover my ass. Unfortunately, the internet being what it is, it's impossible to cover every base, but my original intention was to make it absolutely freely available. Besides, people have worn these shirts to concerts and have even been noticed by the band in them, and I haven't heard any rumblings about being sued :wink:

Anyway, I'm not making the Listen With Caution design freely available for that precise reason, in fact. :shrug:

First, let me say that as a textile artist I support anyone creating original t-shirt art:up: And I don't want to get into all the legalese of copyrights, fair use, public domain, etc. Nor do I want to kill the excitement of this thread, but copyright infringement is the authorized use of a copyrighted material. Therefore, just using a already t-shirt image, a lp/cd design, etc. without the permission of the artist/owner could get you in trouble, no matter if it is for personal use.

Some artists/owners like U2 are not threaten by the personal use of their designs. They know it's a way for fans to show their love. But other artists/owners (like non-profit organizations) would be a little upset by the use especially if "new design" looks too much like the original design and people starting selling them or even giving them away because they would feel that it cuts into their profit. That's why I say BE CAREFUL and RE-DESIGN your t-shirt. Use ideas like making the image smaller than the original and print it down the middle of the tee or print it on the lower half of the tee or make an all-over print. Sometimes putting the design on the back of the t-shirt could make it original.
And remember, if someone ask you about your newly designed t-shirt, say that you designed it but was "inspired by"...
Have fun everybody!:)

^ Yup, the little things that make it original make it okay. :yes:

I've never seen a shirt like this:

Utoo said:

- the Joshua Tree tree
- the AB baby
- the ATYCLB suitcase

:wink: which is why I want to make it.

.........and could use any help from people who've found those designs.....:D

Utoo said:
^ Yup, the little things that make it original make it okay. :yes:

I've never seen a shirt like this:

:wink: which is why I want to make it.

.........and could use any help from people who've found those designs.....:D

Utoo, there was a similar discussion here (?) about making your own t-shirt late last year while the band was on tour. And someone scanned in a bunch of designs from the lps and tours. Maybe if you do a search, you can find it.

Whatever. As I said at LJ, I think the shirt's really cool, Evie. :up:

Back
Top Bottom