Im Sorry If This Is In The Wrong Thread But ColdPlay Wants To Be U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
After hearing Coldplay's New album with Eno producing... either Coldplay wants to be U2 or U2 has been simply a puppet of Eno when U2 were at its best...because minus edges delay and bonos voice i really see no difference in sound.

Difference:

U2 is gifted, and Coldplay are just average.

U2 is unique, Coldplay are a wannabe U2 lite.

Really you see no difference in sound and yet you have that as your avatar? :lol: at the thought of Coldplay ever coming close to that sort of milestone.

Difference:

U2 is gifted, and Coldplay are just average.

U2 is unique, Coldplay are a wannabe U2 lite.

Really you see no difference in sound and yet you have that as your avatar? :lol: at the thought of Coldplay ever coming close to that sort of milestone.

I agree....and I hope the new u2 album blows Viva La Vida out of the water and wakes Chris Martin and Coldplay up

listening to Viva La Vida, which sounds so much better than every Coldplay album before it, it would seem U2 have to put out a pretty shit-hot album to compete after the last auto-pilot offering. If you listen to Viva La Vida and think it sounds just like U2 you're obviously TRYING desperately to find similarities after the last few albums which obviously have U2's influence all over them. If anyone needs "waking up" it's U2. I don't know how you can post something like that having heard the album, Rob33...have you?? :huh:

Amazing how you people all know that the Coldplay album is exactly the same as U2 despite the fact that most of you probably haven't even heard it yet.

Got the album yesterday, and to be honest its not bad, but its DEFINATLY nothing that U2 have to worry about as gareth brown is saying, IMHO of course.

apples and oranges - there's room enough for all!

haven't heard Viva La Vida - i hated Violet Hill so i have to get over that first before i decide i wanna take a listen to the rest of the album hehe

but personally out of all Coldplay's releases i've heard so far, i love Parachutes album the best - chris martin certainly can write/sing a beautiful melody - that's what i always loved about Coldplay, the sweet melodies... i find their "big stuff" a bit dull... echoes of Pink Floyd...

They have used a lot of televisions on their recent live performances, are they copying zoo tv ?

No, Coldplay doesn't.

Whether Coldplay is a quality band or not is one thing. But it doesn't want to be U2, it's not ripping off U2, it's not trying to destroy U2's career, etc. Et al. Ad infinitum.

I don't get why people get so annoyed when they state (the relatively obvious) that Coldplay are heavily influenced by U2. even Chris Martin says they measure their albums in terms of U2-albums. do they want to BE U2? Who knows. But they certainly do their best to emulate their sound, and I don't really understand why people get so pissy around here when that's stated.

As for whether or not Coldplay want to be U2, I'm not sure. I do think you can hear a fair share of U2 in this album, probably more than any of their other albums to be honest. That might just be because of Eno. That said, it's not just me that sees this. My friends around here (non U2 fans) thought that the Viva La Vida song was U2 when they heard it on the iTunes commercials.

I don't get why people get so annoyed when they state (the relatively obvious) that Coldplay are heavily influenced by U2. even Chris Martin says they measure their albums in terms of U2-albums. do they want to BE U2? Who knows. But they certainly do their best to emulate their sound, and I don't really understand why people get so pissy around here when that's stated.

As for whether or not Coldplay want to be U2, I'm not sure. I do think you can hear a fair share of U2 in this album, probably more than any of their other albums to be honest. That might just be because of Eno. That said, it's not just me that sees this. My friends around here (non U2 fans) thought that the Viva La Vida song was U2 when they heard it on the iTunes commercials.

Well Chris Martin said he played every U2 album to Gwyneth's belly when she was pregnant. :hmm:

Actually I heard many influences in the new Coldplay album. At the end of 42 you can distinctly hear The Strokes. I can hear Radiohead, U2, John Lennon, Pink Floyd, and especially The Cure mixed together. There is some country and other styles mixed in. It's a very good album, but it's not original or ground shattering.

To be honest it sounds like they spliced sound bites from different bands and songs and managed it to a certain level, then added some passable lyrics over top. "Cut 'n paste music." In repeat listenings it won't achieve the level of Achtung or Joshua.

When U2 copy people they usually try to do it BETTER than the people they are copying. Sgt. Pepper and AB are supposed to be a kin because of both bands desire to change things up, but they sound quite different sonically. Bono said that they rob lots of things from The Beatles, but I think U2 probably couldn't copy them simply because they are bad at doing EXACT covers as they themselves have said.

I don't understand this endless need from some posters to constantly try to prove that U2 is superior to Coldplay in every way! Are you people so paranoid that Coldplay will overtake U2 in terms of popularity? It is okay to appreciate both bands equally, people! I know this is a U2 forum and all but sheesh, why this endless need to compare? I think Viva La Vida is a perfectly fine album in it's own right and I don't necessarily hear U2 in it nor am I trying hard to hear U2 so I can scream "rip off!"!

listening to Viva La Vida, which sounds so much better than every Coldplay album before it, it would seem U2 have to put out a pretty shit-hot album to compete after the last auto-pilot offering. If you listen to Viva La Vida and think it sounds just like U2 you're obviously TRYING desperately to find similarities after the last few albums which obviously have U2's influence all over them. If anyone needs "waking up" it's U2. I don't know how you can post something like that having heard the album, Rob33...have you?? :huh:

FFS, Viva isn't that good. Sure, it's a huge improvement for a band that released an absolutely awful record three years ago, but it ultimately shows a generic band at the peak of their powers, not a great band at the peak of their powers.

I don't understand this endless need from some posters to constantly try to prove that U2 is superior to Coldplay in every way! Are you people so paranoid that Coldplay will overtake U2 in terms of popularity? It is okay to appreciate both bands equally, people! I know this is a U2 forum and all but sheesh, why this endless need to compare? I think Viva La Vida is a perfectly fine album in it's own right and I don't necessarily hear U2 in it nor am I trying hard to hear U2 so I can scream "rip off!"!

I don't see any recent posts trying to prove U2's superiority. I see people commenting on Coldplay's album and the (possible) U2 influences and comparing it to the influences U2 have used. I don't think anybody is screaming RIP OFF but people are saying they hear U2 in it. Is that even a bad thing? I don't get this counter-paranoia in this threads that people can't honestly say they hear U2 in coldplay. If you don't hear U2 in Coldplay at all, then we're not listening to anything nearly through the same ears.

Is it a RIP OFF?? No. are there similarities? of course.

And fwiw as for the last post- I don't think the album is that great either. I think A Rush of Blood to the Head and Parachutes are better albums, but it is better than X & Y.

Exactly. It's one to thing to have influences but it's another when it's that blatant and obvious. Using the same producer, wanting to imitate the frontman, borrowing off the guitar player...it's almost getting to the level of those Gallagher bros obsession with the Beatles.
I will buy the new album and they are my favourite new band of the last decade but honestly - they need not try so hard being like U2, just being Coldplay would do.

FFS, Viva isn't that good. Sure, it's a huge improvement for a band that released an absolutely awful record three years ago, but it ultimately shows a generic band at the peak of their powers, not a great band at the peak of their powers.

To me, it sounded like he was comparing Viva to the last two U2 albums.

Do you think ATYCLB and HTDAAB are that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom