I'm so jealous... my brother is going to see Bono tonight.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Commie

Babyface
My brother's a doctor, internal medicine. He get perks from drug companies... like sports tickets and dinners. So, guess where he gets to go tonight? The Love Rocks event, at the Kodak theater, where No Doubt and REM will be honoring Bono. He got two tickets, but he's taking his fiancee, of course.

He just called me up from the Limo he gets to ride in. Agh! I'm going crazy... To be fair, though, my brother was the one who introduced my to U2 back in the early 80's when I was just a little kid.

-U2 Commie

It's taking place at the New Kodak Theater in Hollywood... which is the new permanent home of the Academy Awards. My brother told me that Entertainment Tonight is there.. so we'll probably see a report of some kind tomorrow.

-U2 Commie

That's so cool! I would LOVE to be there!
Make sure to report back whatever details your brother can share...we'd love to hear about it!

Awesome!

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

Hollywood Hails U2's Bono for Philanthropy
Updated 3:56 AM ET February 15, 2002

By Dean Goodman

HOLLYWOOD (Reuters) - Hollywood stars such as Tom Cruise and Kevin Spacey, and rock bands No Doubt and R.E.M. tossed valentines to U2 singer Bono at a fund-raiser on Thursday marking the outspoken Irishman's ``extraordinary philanthropy.''

The first annual ``Love Rocks'' concert was held in Bono's honor, and also brought out the likes of comedians Ray Romano and Drew Carey, actor Sean Penn, R&B singer Lauryn Hill and Walt Disney Co. Chairman Michael Eisner. The event was designed to raise money for cardiovascular research.

Bono, a.k.a. Paul Hewson, was feted with the ``Heart of Entertainment'' award for what organizers described as ``his extraordinary philanthropy and dedication to improving the lives of millions of people throughout the world.''

In his two decades at the helm of his politically active rock group, Bono has championed such causes as debt relief and AIDS awareness in the Third World, and worked with such groups as Amnesty International and Greenpeace.

Cruise told the crowd at Hollywood's Kodak Theater that Bono ``makes us all proud to be human.'' Former President Bill Clinton and Rolling Stone Mick Jagger sent congratulatory videos. R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe described Bono as a ''singer, songwriter, statesman, fashion plate.''

R.E.M. performed a short set that included a cover of ``I Got You Babe'' during which pop diva Cher made a surprise appearance from the wings to duet with Stipe on her '60s classic. She said it was the first time she had ever performed the song without her late former husband, Sonny Bono.

Later, R.E.M. performed U2's mournful ballad ``One'' with help from Bono on vocals.

In accepting his award, Bono proudly described himself as ''a thorn in the shoe'' of President Bush's administration because of his efforts to apprise U.S. lawmakers of suffering in the world's poorest countries.

Earlier this month at the World Economic Forum in New York, Bono's lobbying charmed hardened businessmen and politicians such as Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates and U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill.

Wearing his trademark wraparound sunglasses, Bono told the sympathetic Hollywood crowd that 28 million HIV-positive people in sub-Saharan Africa would leave behind 100 million AIDS orphans by the end of the decade.

``This is probably the greatest threat to humanity that the world has seen really since the bubonic plague took out about a third of Europe in the Middle Ages,'' he said.

He challenged the creative minds in Hollywood to help end suffering. He noted that 8 million people died each year from preventable diseases that could be avoided with the expenditure of $30 on each victim.

Still, even a charismatic rock star knows he can command people's attentions for only so long.

``I guess right down the hall from beatification comes crucifixion, so I better enjoy this,'' he said.

"I've got You Babe"? Because of the Bono-Bono connection. Good Lord.

Sounded tacky.
rolleyes.gif
Poor Bono.

------------------
"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

MESH RULES!!!!!
(thanks to Bono's American Wife)

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Back
Top Bottom