I'm really starting to think of Elevation and Vertigo as brothers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
These songs seem pretty similar to me. The lyrics in Vertigo actually remind me of Elevation a lot. Elevation and vertigo are two things that seem like they could go hand in hand. The structure of the verses seem somewhat similar, how the words go together. The choruses' lyrics are similar too. "You make me feel like I can fly so high" and "I can feel your love teaching me me how...". The guitar playing seems similar to me as well, you know, Edge's ripping guitar. It reminds me of a motorcycle or something!

I think my favorite connection though is how in Elevation he sings "can't sing but I've got soul", and in Vertigo he songs "The boys play rock anmd roll, they know that they can't dance". So in one song they can't sing and in the next similar song he says they can't dance. Kinda funny.

I love both of these songs and will always think of them as brothers!!!

Last edited:
Yes, I agree.
Maybe a little too much similarity :|
The whole structure of the song is almost the same. The only difference is the "I can feeeel" part, where Bono sings very nicely. I like it, but don't find it as original as it should be and it is strange that it was great when I heard it first but has become boring a bit already. It used to have in the opposite way with U2 songs. But great concert opener, like elevation. We will see...

My boyfriend said the exact same thing last night :|
He really liked Vertigo, but said he thought it did sound very similar to Elevation!!
I love them both!!!! It will be a kick-ass concert opener :dance:

Indeed, BUT....

Elevation 9/10
Vertigo 43/10

And I don't just say that b/c it is new and the hot thing... I just think it is a much better song.

It reminds me of Elevation with the Edge's heavy playing style, but Vertigo hits a little harder. Plus, Bono singing sounds better and his lyrics are way more rousing.

If anything the song sounds like Elevation meets I Will Follow. Kick a** song though.

They have a similar vibe, only Vertigo doesn't annoy me or make me cringe like Elevation sometimes can.

This time U2 got it right.

It's like a combination of Elevation/Discotheque/Bullet the Blue Sky/Out of Control

Last edited:
...I will grant a connection in the 'pleading' and confused aspect of them both..otherwise not like Elevation much at all!

Elevation is a prancy strut-y deal, with the occasional 'rise' like steam release of sexual energy...and the pleading is sort of cheeky.

and vertigo is pleading and up and down and not strut-y at all to me, and the energy is intense and much more serious and has fear and loss in it..

They're actually both good single releases, now that I think of it,
because they are both sort of like invitations for help! Bono needs us to elevate him there, and now he's got a bad case of vertigo and our love can help teach him how to...

cheerio...

I think Vertigo fullfills the promise of the Elevation guitar sound with a much better structured, dynamic song..it also has a much more streamlined sound, in mu opinion.

PowerSurge said:
The only similarities...

4/4 beat

The Edge is playing a guitar

and Bono is singing a chorus

and those OTHER two guys are doing stuff too.

Exactly. They aren't remotely the same, thankfully. Vertigo is the child of I Will Follow and HMTMKMKM, not Elevation.

I don't know... there is one repetitive riff which is the hook both songs have it... I'm comparing the rock-based Elevation from Tombraider to Vertigo. Also the lyrics are similar in style and contrast the woo hoos to the ooohh wohs... One difference is that Elevation's lyrics meander and are sort of non-sensical when put/ sung together (my opinion). Metaphors lumped together... Vertigo's lyrics seem more cohesive (sort of tell a story of a moment)...

I think that is one minor negative I have of Vertigo...

Elevation is slow compared to Vertigo. Vertigo barely has any pause, and goes at warp speed. Elevation has two lengthy pauses in it, and doesn't have the same kind of energy.

Back
Top Bottom