I'm Disappointed In Everything U2 Has Ever Done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Freedman

War Child
I'm disappointed in Boy. I heard it was supposed to be a punk album, since U2 are fans of punk rock, but it's more of a rock and roll album, with some ballads. This band has no future. I miss the Feedback and Hype days. Bono Vox can't sing, and they should never have let The Edge's brother out of the band.

I'm disappointed in October. It's way too religious, and the lyrics suck. Just because Bono "misplaced" his lyrics doesn't mean he couldn't think up some new ones, does it? This band has no future. Boy is their best album. They are on their way down. They'll never top Boy.

I'm disappointed in War. It is WAY too political! Who do these "boys" think they are? What the hell do they know about the world? They just haven't been the same since October. And the production is so muddy! New Year's Day, my ass. Album Bloody Album. What kind of crap is Red Light? Yeah, boys, put the red light on and get out of the music business. And what -- you can't think of a more original album cover? Is thhis guy going to be on every other album cover?

I'm disappointed in The Unforgettable Fire. What are these fluffy landscapes? Do they think they're Yanni with these atmospheric tunes? Where's the rocking U2 we loved from War? Yeah, this album is "Bad". They think they're as good as Elvis Presley? With that song? That's a song? They've gotten lazy -- just slowed down the first song with Bono mumbling over it just to fill out the album. What trash. War is their best album. They'll never top War.

I'm disappointed in The Joshua Tree. This is just the UFF 2! They've lost all their originality, which I loved so much when they went from War to UFF. Just more atmospheric soundscapes. It was great the first time around, but they've obviously ran out of ideas. It will never sell. UFF is a classic. These are just retreads. And what's with this first single, With Or Without You? There's like no chorus, and it's slow and boring. It'll never be a hit, and we'll forget about it in a year. The UFF was their best album. They are on their way down. And they take themselves WAY too seriously. Oh, and anyone who likes this is a jerk, who has no taste in music. Where were these fans in the beginning, when U2 were on their way to superstardom with amazing albums from Boy through UFF?

I'm disappointed in Rattle & Hum. We had to wait two years for this crap? They had to put live stuff on it because they couldn't write enough new material? And some of this crap isn't even them! BB King? Other songs that sound like BB King? This is U2, man! Gospel singers? They just ruined I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, one of the greatest songs from the best album ever made, The Joshua Tree. And what the hell is Angel Of Harlem? What territory are they trespassing on now? And who the hell do they think they are? As big is the greatest artists in history? They take themselves WAY too seriously. Big headed jerks. Next thing they'll say is that they're bigger than Jesus. They are definitely on their way down. They should break up now. Why isn't the live version of Streets on here??? And With Or Without You, the best single they ever had!!! This is so much worse than JT. They'll never reach those heights again.

I'm disappointed with Achtung Baby. We waited like three years of this freaking noise? Where are the beautiful atmospheric soundscapes from JT or the studio stuff from the amazing Rattle & Hum album? No one will ever again make an amazing album seamlessly mixing live and studio material without missing a beat. These songs all sound the same, and half of them are soooo boooring. They are so cruel. I was so looking forward to their first new single, and they come out with this Fly crap? A bleeping bunch of hard rock noise, which sounds like almost every other piece of crap on this mess of an album. And they're trying to be ironic? Moronic is more like it. This isn't the U2 I love. The U2 who were concerned with the problems of the world. I want the U2 back who were serious, and they sang about it from the heart. I give up on them. They dreamed it all up again, all right. A freaking nightmare. Baby, baby, baby, my ass. And One? It's a With Or Without You wanna-be -- a shell of the greatest song ever written.

I'm disappointed with Zooropa. They could have at least spent a couple of more years on this, then it wouldn't be such unrecognizable crap. I figured there would be no way they could top a masterpiece such as AB, and boy was I right! Babyface and Stay? What MOR crap. Noow they're making soundtrack music. And First Time sounds like a rehashed All I Want Is You, one of the greatest songs ever from the awesome R&H album. They don't make 'em like they used to. And what is with Wanderer? Just wander right outta here. I hate the experimental crap they have on this album also. This is their swan song. And it's so sad, since their last album was the GREATEST ALBUM EVER MADE!!!

I'm disappointed with Pop. First of all, where are the dance songs? This was supposed to be a dance album, and all we got is a single that's named after a place people go to dance! Who are they, The Village People??? And Bono can't sing anymore. I mean, like, please! I'm down on my knees! I can't even hear some of these songs without raising the volume to 12. This is NOT U2. What happened to the melodic hits of the past? Gorgeous tunes like Stay and The First Time from the adventurous and exciting Zooropa album? There's nothing atmospheric like the amazing title track from Zooropa! It's a muddy, horrible mess. Who are these guys producing this crap? This album was not finished. They are too concerned with going on tour. Nothing will ever top Zoo TV, anyway. At least Zooropa was experimental while still sounding like U2. This is too far gone, and boring. Miami, my mammy? Worst song ever made. I hope they don't dare play that pile of noise live. They now officially suck. My new favorite band is Radiohead. At least they still make accessible great music. Radiohead is what U2 used to be. An amazing band with amazing melodies, and a great future.

I'm disappointed with All That You Can't Leave Behind. What happened to the amazing experimentation of Pop??? That is a piece of art! This is MOR, AOR, whatever. Songs for my parents to listen to. This upcoming tour is going to be soooo booooring. U2 is old. Bono can't sing anymore. They are over 40. Time to call it quits. Just when you thought they were headed in another amazing direction, as they showed in Pop, they wait three years to come out with schmultz. That's it. They're through. From Boy to Pop, they were the best band ever. Now only Radiohead has enough guts to experiment. They are the new best band in the world. Goodbye U2.

I'm disappointed with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. What happened to the rock album we were promised? Bono said so, and he's always done what he promised. Never mind that it was a year ago. They had a rock album made a year ago, and I want THAT ALBUM!!! It was supposed to be heavy, like Boy and War, which, if I remember, are hard rock albums. They dare put in melodic pop-rock? What's with these ballads? I never liked atmospheric ballads from U2. Give me heavy, experimental rock. Love And Peace Or Else is the only good thing on it. The rest is filled with jangling guitar from The Edge, who can't play more than three chords. And Sometimes? It's a One wanna-be -- a shell of the greatest song ever written. They are old and over the hill. Where's the cutting edge? The experimentation? I loved Pop the day it came out, because it was BOLD! It was NEW! It didn't play it safe like this crap. Their return to melodic rock was done right on ATYCLB. But this is a rehash of that, done poorly. People think this is a classic? Yeah, a classic mistake! What these guys need is a miracle drug, and fast! Sellouts. U2 sounding like U2. Boy does that suck. Oh, and anyone who likes this is a jerk, who has no taste in music. Where were these fans in the beginning, when U2 were on their way to superstardom with amazing albums from Boy through ATYCLB?

uh, i noticed just one problem...
I dont think anyone was looking back wanting another Pop. When ATYCLB came out, I heard a bunch of talk about how bad it was, but they were not wanting Pop, they wanted anything else.
That is strange, cause I personally love Pop, and it is the only album I could possibly listen to nonstop and never get bored. (this includes my favorite album ever AB)

Most unique post I have ever read on this site. I love you for writing this. This is exactly what needs to be put out to the masses. Great job. :wink:

The funny thing is that i don't see the ppl who dislike this last album suddenly starting to like ATYCLB...

I've got a vision from 2011:

"I'm disappointed by the new U2 album, I Sure Do Love Jesus, Most of the Time. We waited 7 years for this? Whatever happened to the timelessness of HTDAAB ...."

Good post! Well-written, well-thought, and well-done! Even so...

Obviously your point is to critique those doing the critiquing--and you do a VERY good job, I think! I do a fair deal of criticizing the present-day incarnation of the band, but I like to think that I keep it within reason, you know? I understand that this thread is more of a knock on the people who just hate on the band for no real reason--that blind hatred, which I've pointed out, is just as bad as blind devotion. I digress, though...

I just want to point out that many of the points you bring up are very valid. Things are taken to a level and an intensity which is great for parody, and this all works wonderously...but the actual points you make (or your narrator makes), if you just take them as points and take away the zealousness, are very true. War is probably a bit too preachy; The Joshua Tree, for all its greatness, is a safe re-hash of The Unforgettable Fire with slightly better-written songs; Pop isn't very experimental at all...its just intriguingly skeletal, if that makes sense.

I just want to point out this: picking the band apart into nothingness doesn't serve a point--I agree. At the same time, we do need to remember that the band is anything but perfect. They have NEVER released a perfect album, in my eyes--NEVER. Achtung Baby is my favorite album of ALL TIME by any band...but the sound quality is VERY WEAK, sometimes the band sounds tired ("Ultraviolet"), and one song ("So Cruel") isn't nearly up-to-par with the other tunes on the album. These points are just my opinion, of course, but they're still true to me. U2-bashing is no good, I agree--we have to remember, though, that unqualified worship is for the birds, as well.

I acctually think The Joshua Tree is one of the few perfect albums in existence. It isn't even in my top 3 U2 albums, but I think it's perfect nonetheless.

disco2blue said:
That was a great piece of writing, Mark Freedman.

U2_guy, take some notes.

Why? I always liked my U2 at the right time, never back-pedalled. And i still don't like ATYCLB... If that post was directed to me it failed.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. You had me laughing out loud several times (in a good way, mind :wink: ). Also, this was the first post of this length that I actually read all the way through. Which means a lot, because no one can hold my attention for very long.

Great post. :up:

It was just my way of releasing some built-up frustration. It poured out onto the page in about 10-15 minutes. Glad to get some people smiling again. It seemed things were getting a little tense lately. :)

Mark Freedman said:
I'm disappointed with Pop. First of all, where are the dance songs? This was supposed to be a dance album, and all we got is a single that's named after a place people go to dance! Who are they, The Village People??? And Bono can't sing anymore. I mean, like, please! I'm down on my knees! I can't even hear some of these songs without raising the volume to 12. This is NOT U2. What happened to the melodic hits of the past? Gorgeous tunes like Stay and The First Time from the adventurous and exciting Zooropa album? There's nothing atmospheric like the amazing title track from Zooropa! It's a muddy, horrible mess. Who are these guys producing this crap? This album was not finished. They are too concerned with going on tour. Nothing will ever top Zoo TV, anyway. At least Zooropa was experimental while still sounding like U2. This is too far gone, and boring. Miami, my mammy? Worst song ever made. I hope they don't dare play that pile of noise live. They now officially suck. My new favorite band is Radiohead. At least they still make accessible great music. Radiohead is what U2 used to be. An amazing band with amazing melodies, and a great future.

Amen on your opinion on POP!

However, I think Radiohead is junk.

Cheers,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom