I'm Disappointed In Everything U2 Has Ever Done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if i was a man who has been picket up by the men in white suits i would agree with you but to be honoust this thread suck's big time !!!!!!!!!!

superlarry said:
if i was a man who has been picket up by the men in white suits i would agree with you but to be honoust this thread suck's big time !!!!!!!!!!

:hmm:

Ok then. And now for something completely different!:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

So now we have fans who complain about fans who complain about fans who complain about U2, if I'm counting correctly. That's huge.

speedracer said:
So now we have fans who complain about fans who complain about fans who complain about U2, if I'm counting correctly. That's huge.

I am still trying to process this one. Something about the word 'fans' appearing three times in one sentence makes my brain scrambled. :huh:

speedracer said:

Pretty much. I usually love the U2 fan community, but right now, it's bordering on insane.

Can't believe I just saw this thread. :huh:
Funny as hell, Mark F :lmao:
Matter of fact I expect some lazy journalist to plagiarize it and put it out over the wires. We know where it originated however.

In any case I was feeling down about some of the post around and this gave me a thrilling laugh.. Thanks

Oh and mikal & FullonEdge2, you must stop with the slang. I'm starting to talk like that and people are looking at me funny.:wink:

This entire thread was a blast. Thanks to all :up: (even the one's who didn't get it):wink:

doctorwho said:

While I agree that a fan is not required to love everything an artist produces, I disagree that the original post was geared towards "Bomb" haters. Furthermore, I feel your statement was a bit contentious - after all, aren't you indirectly attacking those who feel HTDAAB is very good?

The original post was mocking the many, MANY fans throughout the years that have griped about everything possible. As a long time fan, I have heard this griping. JT was a "sell out". R&H was too dark. AB was a "sell out". "Zooropa" was too experimental. "Pop" sucked. ATYCLB was too mellow. The list goes on and on.

And, as others have pointed out, the bitching has already started for the upcoming tour. Fans are now complaining about possible corporate sponsors. Soon, we'll have fans complain about the lack of shows in their area, the ticket prices, the seating, songs performed, etc. It's a no-win situation for U2.

U2 fans may be very loyal, but they whine a ridiculous amount as well. Admittedly, sometimes I fall victim to this - but it strikes me as odd that when I dare to defend a U2 decision, I'm then labeled a coroporate monkey. So even amongst fellow U2 fans, it's a no-win situation.

Hence why the first post was funny - it's very true. And the fact that you're bitching about it just proves its validity. :yes:

haha I know from experience ponkine won't respond to this...can you say troll? :D

Mark Freedman said:
If U2 took every criticism to heart, they would have broken up 20 years ago. There will always be critics. There will always be people who don't like you. There will always be negativity.

You can't please everyone.

Some people ask, why didn't they put Native Son on the album instead of Vertigo?

Because they didn't want to piss off the people who like Vertigo better?

No.

It's because THEY liked Vertigo better. That's my take on it.

Exactly. And this post is as brilliant as your first one in this thread Mark. Thank you.

MT

Not all fans of any band are going to like EVERYTHING they do. Its one thing to criticize blindly based on pre-conceived notions but its an entirely different thing to criticize because you honestly don't like something. At least if you're going to be critical have a weight to your argument and say why and dont use "Bono is a wanker".

U2 dont put certain songs on an album in place of another because of one reason THEY LIKE THE OTHER ONE MORE and probably figure more of a majority will like that choice. You're entitled to disagree and not like it but that doesnt make your opinion omniscient over all.

Dr_Macphisto said:
and a prediction from 2020:

"I am a little disapointed in the new U2 album "We were fools in the 90's"... I miss the glorious R&B sounds from "I Sure Do Love Jesus, Most of the Time"... I can't believe we waited nine years for this filth

From 2039...
"Dude, what were U2 thinking with the new album, 'The Greatest Hits of U2?' All the songs sound like old songs. I can't believe I waited 19 years for this filth. I miss the happenin' hip hop and rap sounds of 'We Were Fools in the 90's.'"

Seriously though Mark Freedman - brilliant post. This whole thread is brilliant...you guys all rock. Completely. :up:

liek ogm u2 iz so gay lol!11/ ogm liek da covr 4 da new ablum iz so gay lol!1// liek i hait dat !!11 i hait da album 2!!!111/k omg u2 usd 2 b gud now theyr so gay lol!1112 there old they shud just qwit!!/111 i meen leik now their makin up wurdz liek vertoig an yawh!1.11 leik wut duz dat meen!!?1 lol

sue4u2 said:
Can't believe I just saw this thread. :huh:
Funny as hell, Mark F :lmao:
Matter of fact I expect some lazy journalist to plagiarize it and put it out over the wires. We know where it originated however...

Too late...it was already posted a couple of times at least, without credit, on the newsgroups, by someone with the handle of "Batfink". A bit ironic, don't ya think?

Not that I'm really complaining about it ;)

Mark Freedman said:

Too late...it was already posted a couple of times at least, without credit, on the newsgroups, by someone with the handle of "Batfink". A bit ironic, don't ya think?

Not that I'm really complaining about it ;)

Don't worry about it Mark. This kid I know once stole a poem I had been writting and published it. I think his last name was Eliot or something.

April is the cruelest month ya know.....

Dalton said:

Don't worry about it Mark. This kid I know once stole a poem I had been writting and published it. I think his last name was Eliot or something.

April is the cruelest month ya know.....

That sucks, Dalton.

I'm not going to let this get to me too much. I can choose to look at it as a form of flattery. But I equate plagiarism to be somewhat like identity theft -- but that's even worse.

Mark Freedman said:

That sucks, Dalton.

I'm not going to let this get to me too much. I can choose to look at it as a form of flattery. But I equate plagiarism to be somewhat like identity theft -- but that's even worse.

Sorry mate, my joke was perhaps a bit to inconspicuous.

http://eliotswasteland.tripod.com/

The greast thing ever written in English.

I had a feeling after I posted that you were going to say something like this. :wink: I missed that.

Thanks for the link!

Mark Freedman said:
I had a feeling after I posted that you were going to say something like this. :wink: I missed that.

Thanks for the link!

No problems. I would have had to make fun of you for being a nerd if you got it I suppose.

So that was good stuff that you wrote earlier. Do you write for a living or plan to?

Dalton said:

No problems. I would have had to make fun of you for being a nerd if you got it I suppose.

So that was good stuff that you wrote earlier. Do you write for a living or plan to?

Thanks. Neither. I'm a software architect. It takes a lot to get me to write anything. I've thought about writing a book about my experiences running a software consulting company, but that memory is too fresh and painful right now.

The most writing I do is here (and those are usually one-liners) and on my website.

The real writer of the family is my daughter. She would be great at it if she did it for a living. But she's probably going to end up as a producer or director.

Last edited:
Hello hello,

Mark, were you ever subscribed to the Wire newsgroup? I have a feeling we've met before. It's been a few years since I last read Wire -- I kinda got bored with everyone bitching about how wrong it is for U2 to sound like U2.

The Edge, who does he think he is, ripping off the unique sound of Dave Evans? I hope he gets sued for plagiarism. Hmph.

I also hear The Hype will be joining forces with another one-hit-wonder band called Feedback and will sue U2 for ripping off their sounds.

Rick:eyebrow:

ps about your book on running a software company ... read Douglas Coupland's Microserfs :wink:

Last edited:
Hehehe.

Hi, Rick. Yeah, I subscribed to Wire, and was last on it probably in 2001 or so. I basically got bored with the same thing. There was a lot of fighting going on there, and it started to become a waste of time. I believe the last straw was all the fighting about the design of the tags people in the group were going to wear to the concerts, or something like that.

I'll check out Microserfs. Thanks.

jick said:
The thread title sickens me.

Cheers,

J

Sorry, Jick, I ain't changin' it, ya know what I'm sayin'? An' even if I wanted to, I couldn't, ya see?

Have a nice day, and have a pleasant tomorrow :)

Come on people! Calling this the "best thread ever"...get real! It's nothing more than a retread of mr freedman's previous works...it lacks passion and direction...first he hates an album then he loves it...so predictable...and it sounds so...freedmanish. Can one steal ideas from...oneself? Still waiting for that "perfect thread".

Last edited:
stray dog said:
Come on people! Calling this the "best thread ever"...get real! It's nothing more than a retread of mr freedman's previous works...it lacks passion and direction...first he hates an album then he loves it...so predictable...and it sounds so...freedmanish. Can one steal ideas from...oneself? Still waiting for that "perfect thread".

You call it Freedmanish, but I call it "classic Freedman". Everyone has their signature "sound", and this is mine :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom