I'm afraid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFlyOnTheWall

Refugee
...that they [U2], based on their latest catalog of songs, will never again do sth like masterpieces from the past, mostly the 80's. I'm thinking of songs that are musically/lyrically great like SBS, NYD, Bad, Bullet, Streets, WOWY, One, maybe Lemon...
Vertigo doesn't convince me in the opposite (pretty comercial song), and ABOY is no better... :(
I still believe that this album can be as great as some of their best, but again...

(sorry for spreading bad mood around here... that's just how i feel the last, well - month!)

Be free to kick me it the other way... :wink:

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
...that they [U2], based on their latest catalog of songs, will never again do sth like masterpieces from the past, mostly the 80's. I'm thinking of songs that are musically/lyrically great like SBS, NYD, Bad, Bullet, Streets, WOWY, One, maybe Lemon...
Vertigo doesn't convince me in the opposite (pretty comercial song), and ABOY is no better... :(
I still believe that this album can be as great as some of their best, but again...

(sorry for spreading bad mood around here... that's just how i feel the last, well - month!)

Be free to kick me it the other way... :wink:

I have the same feeling my friend :( I always think their truly best decade was 1983-1993 :sad:

I have a bad feeling about this album too, I hear that they're going to release it on CD with liner notes on non-recycled paper. If you remember correctly Achtung Baby was released in a digi-pak on recycled paper and it sold tremendously. If they don't do the same with this album, it'll bomb.

I was also thinking that even though we've only heard Vertigo, that 1) the song is good, but I overplayed it and now I am bored of it and 2) I overplayed it so much it sucks. I think this bodes poorly for the album. How can the album possibly be good if I've overplayed Vertigo?

Another thing, U2 has had a good decade in decades!! Think about it people. Pop sucked, ATYCLB sucked, and Passengers really sucked. All told only 6 million people attended concerts and only 18 million people bought those albums. This is bad folks.

Have I made my point yet????:mad:

Last edited:
I think I read an ominous quatrain by Nostradamus once that fortold of the unparalleled awefullness that will be HTDAAB.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I have a bad feeling about this album too, I hear that they're going to release it on CD with liner notes on non-recycled paper. If you remember correctly Achtung Baby was released in a digi-pak on recycled paper and it sold tremendously. If they don't do the same with this album, it'll bomb.

I was also thinking that even though we've only heard Vertigo, that 1) the song is good, but I overplayed it and now I am bored of it and 2) I overplayed it so much it sucks. I think this bodes poorly for the album. How can the album possibly be good if I've overplayed Vertigo?

Another thing, U2 has had a good decade in decades!! Think about it people. Pop sucked, ATYCLB sucked, and Passengers really sucked. All told only 6 million people attended concerts and only 18 million people bought those albums. This is bad folks.

Have I made my point yet????:mad:

And how!

Great points!

I mean, ATYCLB *only* sold 12 million copies worldwide. Hmmmph! And it only sold 4 million copies in the U.S. in an era of massive downloads, making it one of the best selling albums in this century. Still, this is nothing compared to JT and AB. Clearly this is an indication the album will flop.

Furthermore, with the commercialization U2 has now, it's another sign the album will flop. Never mind the Harley commercials of the 80's, the T-shirts, the condoms, the cubes, the puzzles, the snow globes - U2 has clearly sold out NOW and only NOW. The album will flop.

Lastly, the lyrics on "Vertigo" obviously suggest a drop in quality, indicating more flop-i-tude. I mean nothing can compare to "with or without you... whoa-oh... I can't live... with or without you... yeah"! Brilliant, I tell ya, brilliant! Or how about that masterpiece, "baby face... baby face..." Utter genius! Then there's that gem "even better than the real thing"! Yes, I love when the word "thing" is used in lyrics. So descriptive and powerful. We don't hear those lyrics any more. Instead we got some subtle references to war and personal demons. Blah. Flop I say, FLOP!

My take on why this is not a Thing Worth Being Afraid About. :uhoh:

Those songs are still there, still being performed, still available in endless bootlegs, and will never be lost or die, ever. Even if HTDAAB sounds like Britney, we will always have With or Without You and One. (unlike George Lucas making it impossible to own the version of Star Wars you saw as a 5 year old :rant:)

This "problem" is a nice one to have. For example, google Eva Cassidy. She got noticed right about the time she got cancer and died at 33. Life is fragile and precious, and a rock band staying alive AND good for 25 years is simply against nature.

How many "One"s, WOWYs or Streets can you have in a setlist?

We are incredibly lucky that we have a band that produces music that means something, for nearly our whole lives. They keep making great music for a quarter of a century, damn them.

One day people will be saying remember U2? :no: Every new album means that day is still a few decades away, and I for one am grateful. :angel:

doctorwho said:

When I asked it "will U2's album be a big success?" it said "yes".

Yay!

Clearly this is all the proof we need. Discussion closed.

Hummph! :grumpy: How come when I asked the question, it told me the opposite! Damn, two-timing eight ball!

Have you read the lyrics? They are amazing!

I'm not talking about Vertigo, I'm talking about what I read of Original of the Species and Miracle Drug....this could be really special...

And musically, prepare for a u2 youve never heard before, mixed with the u2 we've cherished for over 20 years.

This album will be special. Will it be as big as ATYCLB, Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? Maybe, Maybe not. But does it matter?

You can love this album. It's just a matter of allowing yourself to free yourself from the old u2 and appreciate the new.

Prepare to be blown away.

doctorwho said:

Lastly, the lyrics on "Vertigo" obviously suggest a drop in quality, indicating more flop-i-tude. I mean nothing can compare to "with or without you... whoa-oh... I can't live... with or without you... yeah"! Brilliant, I tell ya, brilliant! Or how about that masterpiece, "baby face... baby face..." Utter genius! Then there's that gem "even better than the real thing"! Yes, I love when the word "thing" is used in lyrics. So descriptive and powerful. We don't hear those lyrics any more. Instead we got some subtle references to war and personal demons. Blah. Flop I say, FLOP!

I agree, this album is going to be total shit, all that drinking has killed Bonos brain cells...remember the lyrical genius of "New Years Day", Dr who?
"All I quiet on New Years Day,
a world in white is underway,
I want to be with you, be with you, night and day...
nothing changes on new years day.
I'll be with you again...I'll be with you again."
It's one of my favorite tunes of all time, Vertigo and HTDAAB's lyrics can never touch these <end of sarcastic rant>

:wink:

its so sad and pathetic to see people here say this album sucks already! One here says it sucks cos they overplayed vertigo another says it sucks cos of the song titiles! How can you guys even call yourselves U2 fans if you already think the album sucks when you only heard a very limited part of it! Jeesh its disgusting and pathetic and you guys shouldn't be posting here pretending to be U2 fans! Wait till the album comes out before you make any judgements for christ sake!

dabiggestu2fan said:
its so sad and pathetic to see people here say this album sucks already! One here says it sucks cos they overplayed vertigo another says it sucks cos of the song titiles! How can you guys even call yourselves U2 fans if you already think the album sucks when you only heard a very limited part of it! Jeesh its disgusting and pathetic and you guys shouldn't be posting here pretending to be U2 fans! Wait till the album comes out before you make any judgements for christ sake! [/QUO

I hait da video. omg, what if I hait da album too!!!

da song titles suck too. and the lyrics suck. I mean how can you call dis good?: "intellectual tortoise" "the heart that hurts is a heart that beats" i hait da lyrics!!1 what if I hait da album too?!1! OMG! the cd picture sux!! Edge is asleep! dat picture really sux!! Omg..What if I hait da album too!!

elfyx said:
I think I read an ominous quatrain by Nostradamus once that fortold of the unparalleled awefullness that will be HTDAAB.

ROFLMAO...thats a good one...but Nostradamus could be wrong right??...lol ;)

As for my opinion on this upcoming album well i know i'm gonna love it just because its U2 and its new, and good or bad its better then no U2 at all!

:dance:

dabiggestu2fan said:
its so sad and pathetic to see people here say this album sucks already! One here says it sucks cos they overplayed vertigo another says it sucks cos of the song titiles! How can you guys even call yourselves U2 fans if you already think the album sucks when you only heard a very limited part of it! Jeesh its disgusting and pathetic and you guys shouldn't be posting here pretending to be U2 fans! Wait till the album comes out before you make any judgements for christ sake!

Are you joking, u2fan? Im just wondering if you missed the extreme sarcasm in virtually everyones posts in this thread. :hmm: HTDAAB is going to be incredible...

i know i realized that LOL and i thinks its great and funny :) dont get me wrong! But there are SOME and only SOME people out there who think this album will be crap for real. That rather harsh post of mine before was directed to those select few people that truly think that :)

It was my way of venting some accumulated stress from the day we call Sunadey!

Nico

Back
Top Bottom