I'm a little envious of "new" U2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imogen

The Fly
Because they have the joy of discovering the back catalogue ahead of them.

For all of us "old" U2 fans..... do you remember hearing Achtung Baby for the first time? I do. I remember it took a little bit of getting used to, because it was so different. Look at it now, rightfully holding top position... or do we think that HTDAAB will knock it off its No 1 spot?

Merry Christmas everyone
God Bless
imogen

Looking at it that way I guess I do envy the newer fans. But you know something? The older fans have an advantage the newer ones don't. We got the chance to get to KNOW the band much better than the newer ones ever will. It's sad to know that now, unlike the early days, the band is much less accessable than before. The newer fans don't know that part of U2 like we older fans do. I'm saddened by that, though I know that in a way it's a necessity.

Whether a back catalogue album was discovered for the first time, or had been rediscovered, or was known to the fan since its release, it won't change the fact that it's genius or crap. Timing is temporary, while quality is permanent. So I don't envy the new fans.

Cheers,

J

i became a fan in 1992, and i'm pissed that i wasn't old enough to really understand music when UF and JT came out.

I've been a fan since boy, and I don't envy the new fans, I'm glad I've had the chance to grow up with this band. Every new album, love or (only) like it is a new experience, as is every song.

As much as I love the experience of seeing U2 live for the first time, I'm glad it was in 1985 as opposed to now. I love the idea of having the history to compare and contrast the band so far down the road.

I became a fan in 1991, and seeing Zoo TV live in 1992 sealed the deal. :)

Part of my love for this band comes from the joy of discovery. I started with Achtung Baby and worked my way backward. Every album brought new revelations, new songs to love (and some to dislike.) Sometimes I do wish I had come to love them in the 80s, but then I think I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. Working backward was very interesting...listening to the changes the band made with each album -- but in reverse -- gave me a real appreciation for the sheer courage U2 shows with each album, and the changes they make in their writing style and approach to their music.

No, I don't envy the "new" fans. :)

I dont think it's about envy.
I see alot of younger kids getting into them now
and I think it's great. It's like being exposed to Led Zep or
Jimi Hendrix. Every generation needs to experience that
one group that changed the music industry or broke it at that time. I know for alot of the "true" or "Hardcore" fans it's always
hard to see the newbies come along. I just think that they should be accepted and shown the history this band has made.:heart:

No doubt dgirl. I'm glad this band attracts new fans every album. It's great, and it keeps them in the forefront and on the tips of music lover's tongues.

I have no problem with newbies, I just wouldn't trade places with them, nor do I envy them. I'm happy with the history I have. I hope new fans can feel the same passion I do for this band.

I became a U2 fan in 1997 when I listened to Pride and New Year's Day. So I bought all the 80's U2 albums then. First October, then War, then UF, then R&H, then Boy, then JT. So for me the progression was like older U2 fans. The only newer song I'd heard was HMTMKMKM.

I think it can cut both ways. The new fans have the back catalogue to catch up with, so that's a thrill. And the old fans (early 80's) have the thrill of knowing hearing them before they became huge. It's the "middies" I feel sorry for. :wink: :D

I sort of envy the newbies because they are experiencing the music for the first time and getting the same thrill I did when I was first getting into the band in 1987. But I wouldn't trade being there for the year U2 released JT and hit the stratosphere for anything!

The ones I really envy are the people who got into the band in the early '80s. They not only got to experience the early years as they were happening, but like Indra said they got to have U2 as their secret thing for a while before the rest of the world caught on.

The only thing i envy about the new U2 fans is their youth. I became a fan in 84. they were playing alot of their old stuff then because it still was considered new. I miss those days when they played for 40,000 to 50.000 people in a arena. Not a stadium and it wasn't at all close to the size of Staples Center. Merry Christmas everyone

Heh, I've always said that I hold a bit of envy for those of you who've been fans for many years, 'cause you got to experience some of the really neat events and concerts and whatnot (i.e, ZooTV, Live Aid, etc., etc.). I wish I'd been old enough to be at some of those, or witness them on TV, or whatever else. And I would have loved to see the band perform way, way back when they were just starting out or something-I think that would've been incredible.

But I definitely see what you're talking about with being a new fan-it is nice to be able to go back and discover these guys' history, 'cause history in general has always been something I've never minded learning about, and music history in particular is a big interest of mine. So to learn about the history of a band I love is always a great thing, it's been a very intriguing study (and there's still some stuff I have yet to hear or see or read).

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Heh, I've always said that I hold a bit of envy for those of you who've been fans for many years, 'cause you got to experience some of the really neat events and concerts and whatnot (i.e, ZooTV, Live Aid, etc., etc.).

ditto

I dont envy the new fans at all,, Being a fan since 1991, i wouldn´t trace place with them at all.
So far i have had almost 14 years of listening to U2, and the music scene today is mostly pure crap. So i have been into quality music for awhile now, and thats COOL.

No envy of new fans cos they missed the band when they were releasing their best stuff......when Achtung Baby was released the excitement was on a different level than today, the band also were the coolest looking fuc#ers on the planet. Bono was definetly the coolest guy in the world back in 1992, check the old interviews for the evidence, now he's looking kinda old and talking like a politician.

I was first intoduced to u2 (not personally) by a friend who's older brother was a big fan.That was back in '87.Never did i think that i'd still be listening to them or hearing new stuff 17 years on:ohmy:
The release of a new album always gets me excited(not much else does these days:wink: )just like all them years ago.I'm glad i've listened to their music for so long and i am pleased,not envious,of the newbies.The've got great taste:drool:

I became a fan in 1980 - while strolling through a local record store I came across what I first thought was an album by a band called "Boy" - once in awhile I would just buy an album without hearing or knowing anything about the band. I took the chance and have been a fan ever since. The one thing I envy about the more recent fans is the access they have to all kinds of material via the internet etc. But then I think back to Toronto 1985 and seeing the band for the first time and then sneaking backstage and meeting them - or hearing "Bad" live for the first time - or seeing them 7 times throughout the years (1985/1987/1992/1997/2001) then I feel lucky to have jumped on the bandwagon at the very beginning. It's been a great 25 years and I thank the band for being part of the soundtrack. Thanks.

Looking at it that way I guess I do envy the newer fans. But you know something? The older fans have an advantage the newer ones don't. We got the chance to get to KNOW the band much better than the newer ones ever will. It's sad to know that now, unlike the early days, the band is much less accessable than before. The newer fans don't know that part of U2 like we older fans do. I'm saddened by that, though I know that in a way it's a necessity.

This is probably the most inane statement of any recent posts by the clique of the those older fanatics dripping with music snobbery. It's so entirely inaccurate and foolish, I find it hard to believe.
Because you were alive and well around the times of earlier U2 albums, that does not make you in any way more perspicuous to their existence - it gives you an advantage in relation to time and experience, but does not transcend you to a realm of untouchable understanding of U2 - first of all, how can you say that Boy and October are any more or less accessible than 'Pop' and 'Zooropa' - all four albums have their defining U2 moments cemented into history - and ultimately have great substance and mass translation before settling into someone's life through personal interpretation.
I became a fan when Zooropa came out. I've collected everything since throughout all of history, and to be a true fan of the band, it's not about bragging about how long you've been a fan, or since when (this is all just for snob-like music talk, which I'm sure you take part in) - it's about comprehending the spirit of the band and understanding their meaning throughout their career. You could be a simpleton and like U2 since 'Boy', but your limit of understanding will not be compensated by the length of your awareness of the band. What really matters is your passion and fanaticism which leads to connecting with the essence of U2, and this is not limited by age or 'when' you became a fan, it is achieved through 'how' you became a fan.
You speak of accessibility, like you're some musical genius who knew U2's soul just because you were around a few years earlier - how silly. Accessibility of the content is not solely determined by your physical presence - it is first and foremost garnered through presence of mind. Your experience of older U2 content is no doubt enhanced and galvanized by actually being there, but your comprehension isn't better than mine or anyone else just because you 'showed up to a show'.
U2 of the 80's is saved throughout a massive historical nexus of news coverage, concerts, books, recordings, etc. - they even have something these days called a 'DVD'!
A fan will sift through this material meticulously and relentlessly, and will absorb the idea of U2.
Anyway, stop being a music snob, a pathetic elder bragger - you want to talk about pity on the newer fans for not knowing U2? Just take a look at those fine younger females Bono takes up on stage and molests - and then just pity yourself.

- Nick

now he's looking kinda old

What a stupid, shallow, superficial quote! And I bet you look like a fucking model at your age... lol, fool.

- Nick

P.S. Bono looks one thousand times better than that retard from Green Day - oh yes, age is everything.

I think it only matters if you want to place them in some sort of historical perspective. Those that followed U2 in the earlier days are better at placing them in their "relativeness" at that time. Was "With or Without You" really THAT different sounding back then?? What's with the mullett?? Those like me that can only research history on U2 (me for the 80's era) are often subjected to propaganda and sometimes have less virgin ears than those at that time.

"They glorify the past when the future's dried up."

Thankfully, U2 have managed to create mostly timeless art so that as long as it is new to you, it doesn't matter what it was about back then.

FYI, I was born in 1979 at the same time U2 were born. U2 are my band and you are all lucky that I share them!! :madspit: LOL

disco2blue said:

What a stupid, shallow, superficial quote! And I bet you look like a fucking model at your age... lol, fool.

- Nick

P.S. Bono looks one thousand times better than that retard from Green Day - oh yes, age is everything.

FACT: Bono is looking kinda old because...gasp...he is kinda old!

Nothing stupid or shallow about it. No need to get derogative.

Back
Top Bottom