illegal downloaders should have their internet taken away - u2 manager

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the tourist said:
This thread's still going?

Has anyone actually convinced anyone else of anything?

No. And no-one paying attention either to what Paul McGuinness said. They're just arguing about some blanket statements the original poster was trolling about.
:sigh:

Popmartijn said:

No. And no-one paying attention either to what Paul McGuinness said. They're just arguing about some blanket statements the original poster was trolling about.
:sigh:

oh piss off.

I'm not going to pretend that I don't illegally download music. I do, on a regular basis. I use it to discover bands that I either wouldn't have found, or that I wouldn't have taken the time to check out otherwise. Now, the bands that I do find and enjoy, I go out and buy their records, including the ones I downloaded, and go to their concerts and buy their merchandise.

Popmartijn said:

Thank you for confirming my statement. :)

that confirms nothing. my opinion might not be one you agree with, but it doesn't make me a troll.

I have not downloaded illegal music in two years. Why? Because the quality sucks and the songs usually skip.

the tourist said:
I have not downloaded illegal music in two years. Why? Because the quality sucks and the songs usually skip.

Not if you get onto a private torrent tracker. :shifty:

onebloodonelife said:

Not if you get onto a private torrent tracker. :shifty:

I've gotten music from people who use torrents and generally have found that 2-3 songs of an average 12 song album will skip. Not because of the way it's downloaded, but because of the original cd it was uploaded off of.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
...exactly: You can't buy a pizza – but want to taste it first, then you decide, whether it's that good YOU might pay for it. Folks, get off your space ships and return to earth ...

That's why I suggested in my longwinded post that there be a standard fee assessed for music, but that doesn't preclude the "tip" option. Since gratuity has been accepted as a social norm in most service instances, there must be some way of parlaying that to music. If you don't think so... fine. I would love to hear some responses other than folks prodding at hole-filled analogies.

Speaking of which, I did enjoy how you incorporated a just as flawed comparison in your "pizza" post... which really just reinforced the thought that music is a service industry.

And BVS, I agree with you about the car comparison. There are limitations. My father test-drove a BMW a while ago... he may have topped out at 100mph on an open strip of road and was able to drive his commute to work. But my point was that being able to drive the real thing in an everyday situation is LESS of an abbreviation than the low quality and limited samples that the music preview system offers. There has to be a medium between sampling and torrenting.

How about all broadband internet prices go up by $50 a month and that $50 is given to the record labels for allowing free downloads of all their music (up to 500 songs in a month)? Or a music/isp merger?

Would people illegally download if they could legally download?

Last edited:
the tourist said:

I've gotten music from people who use torrents and generally have found that 2-3 songs of an average 12 song album will skip. Not because of the way it's downloaded, but because of the original cd it was uploaded off of.

:hmm: I've never had a problem with songs skipping. Generally private trackers, the OiNKs or what.cds or waffles.fms of the world, are very good about keeping uploads of a certain quality.

the tourist said:
How about all broadband internet prices go up by $50 a month and that $50 is given to the record labels for allowing free downloads of all their music (up to 500 songs in a month)? Or a music/isp merger?

i've heard worse ideas. interesting concept, for sure.

Zoomerang96 said:

It would make the songs cheaper, allow more people to listen, but make it legal, because EVERYONE would be paying for the music and the internet together.

It would probably end the production of cds though, not too long after happening (and cds would hang around about as long, then, as vhs tapes did). That would force everyone who wanted music to get some sort of internet service.

Zoomerang96 said:

:shocked:

You're agreeing with Paul McGuinness!

Let’s spare no effort to push the ISPs into taking responsibility. But that’s only one part of the story. There’s a huge commercial partnership opportunity there as well. For me, the business model of the future is one where music is bundled into an ISP or other subscription service and the revenues are shared between the distributor and the content owners.

Popmartijn said:

:shocked:

You're agreeing with Paul McGuinness!

not quite.

the thing that got me riled up is his idea of punishing people for their abhorrent and diabolical file-sharing war crimes.

the tourist said:

People DO use the internet for stuff other than music downloading ya know ? Why should someone who has never downloaded music, legally or otherwise, have to pay a $50 subsidy for people who do use it to download music ?

I download illegally all the time, but as a result I've gone to more concerts and paid more to the artists than I otherwise may have done.

If concert tickets go back to pre-download days I'd be quite happy, but Mcguinness wants a piece of other people's pie AND he'll keep tix in the stratosphere too. In other words, he wants his cake, he wants to eat it and he wants a piece of Apple's/Microsoft's/Cox's/Time-Warner's cakes too.

Feeding at his trough.......roflmao, whadda maroon

I too was buying CDs in the mid-80's at usually 12.99 to 14.99, and I was paying a helluvalot less for my concert tix and concert shirts

Zoomerang96 said:
not quite.

the thing that got me riled up is his idea of punishing people for their abhorrent and diabolical file-sharing war crimes.

Yes, because the ones sharing gigabytes of copyrighted music are such saints... :rolleyes:

if you steal 1 dollar or you steal a million is there a difference?

yeah, just a little.

but it's still the principle of the thing, isn't it?

toscano said:

If concert tickets go back to pre-download days I'd be quite happy, but Mcguinness wants a piece of other people's pie AND he'll keep tix in the stratosphere too. In other words, he wants his cake, he wants to eat it and he wants a piece of Apple's/Microsoft's/Cox's/Time-Warner's cakes too.

Really? Is that what he said?

I guess McGuinness sets the ticket prices for all concerts? And somehow finding a way to stop those that upload illegal music is trying to get Apple's/ Microsoft's cake?:huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Really? Is that what he said?

I guess McGuinness sets the ticket prices for all concerts? And somehow finding a way to stop those that upload illegal music is trying to get Apple's/ Microsoft's cake?:huh:

"Their snouts have been at our trough feeding free for too long"

"the hardware makers should share with the content owners whose assets are exploited by the buyers of their machines. The record companies should never again allow industries to arise that make billions off their content without looking for a piece of that business. " - in other words, if it CAN be used to somehow distribute music (even if it isn't) they should get a piece of it ? The level of arrogance on display is quite astounding

Tix -Yes, McGuinness as their manager probably has a huge say

"ISPs, Telcos and tech companies have enjoyed a bonanza in the last few years off the back of recorded music content. It is time for them to share that with artists and content owners. "

Even if many users NEVER use these devices or the internet for anything remotely to do with playing, copying or sharing music Paul ?

"There’s more exciting music being made and more listened to than at any time in history" - That would be IN SPITE OF the record companies, not because of them

Looks like someone didn't bother to read, or didn't understand, what McGinty had to say, not a surprise there.

toscano said:

"Their snouts have been at our trough feeding free for too long"

"the hardware makers should share with the content owners whose assets are exploited by the buyers of their machines. The record companies should never again allow industries to arise that make billions off their content without looking for a piece of that business. " - in other words, if it CAN be used to somehow distribute music (even if it isn't) they should get a piece of it ? The level of arrogance on display is quite astounding

Where are these quotes from?

toscano said:

Tix -Yes, McGuinness as their manager probably has a huge say

When I said 'all concerts' I meant even those bands he doesn't manage. U2's tickets are pretty much in line with any other performance that size and even cheaper then some, so I really don't think blaming Paul for that one makes any sense at all.

toscano said:

"ISPs, Telcos and tech companies have enjoyed a bonanza in the last few years off the back of recorded music content. It is time for them to share that with artists and content owners. "

Even if many users NEVER use these devices or the internet for anything remotely to do with playing, copying or sharing music Paul ?

"There’s more exciting music being made and more listened to than at any time in history" - That would be IN SPITE OF the record companies, not because of them

Looks like someone didn't bother to read, or didn't understand, what McGinty had to say, not a surprise there.

Once again, none of this is from the original article, so what are you on about?:huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Where are these quotes from?

Mcguinness's speech - didn't you read it ?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

When I said 'all concerts' I meant even those bands he doesn't manage. U2's tickets are pretty much in line with any other performance that size and even cheaper then some, so I really don't think blaming Paul for that one makes any sense at all.

Mcguinness isn't responsible for his band now ? Was a gun being held to his head on ticket prices ?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Once again, none of this is from the original article, so what are you on about?:huh:

They all are from McGuiness's speech.

Maybe you ought to read it before commenting on it.

A novel suggestion to you I know.......

toscano said:

Mcguinness isn't responsible for his band now ? Was a gun being held to his head on ticket prices ?

What?! Where do you get this, from what I posted?

I've talked about concerts in general, why do you keep ignoring that, you do understand how a free market works, right?

toscano said:

They all are from McGuiness's speech.

Maybe you ought to read it before commenting on it.

A novel suggestion to you I know.......

I just read the article that was in the original post. So I haven't seen the entire speech.

Do you think you can be so kind to post a link, that way I can read the whole speech before you feel the need for personal attacks?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I just read the article that was in the original post. So I haven't seen the entire speech.

Do you think you can be so kind to post a link,

It's in the thread Sherlock

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I'm not about to dig through 12 pages for a link, that I asked you kindly for.

But at least you are consistent and are sticking to your MO.

Good evening...

The surcharge idea isn't bad.

Pay and extra fee per month, and download as much as you want. Or some amount that provides value.

Obviously, it would be an option for the service buyer, like The NFL Network is an option for satellite TV users.

They're not going to charge "everyone." :rolleyes:

Verizon gets a cut. Universal gets a cut.

Zoomerang96 said:

not quite.

Look at what may be happening in France. It's a 4 strike system for serial downloaders/uploaders.

1. You get warned.

2. You get warned.

3. You get suspended for a month.

4. You get suspended for a year.

It's light years ahead of the RIAA and their "sue people back into the stone age" practice.

well, I've been lurking. but I want to talk.

Music is different.
It's different making a living in music.
It ain't workin' at the tannery or in your fathers butchery.

In the future people will have to wake up to some fairly stark realities.

-All those new 'up and coming' bands you folks always hold up like starving kids in Africa will have to work other jobs to pay for the setup they have in their parents basement. If they want to pursue their adolescent fantasies then they will have to take a second job.

- They may have to keep their other jobs for an extended period of time. Some very well ingrained and respected artists still have to work other jobs when they're not touring. Hey, nobody says it will be easy in the 21st century.

- For downloaders: it's only stealing in a very archaic sense. As long as the songs have been properly copywrited they will remain the property of the artist forever, and the person will make money on that for years to come. You can't say that about your mom who had the blueberry pie stolen off her windowsill today.

The new environment for music will weed out the weak, the acne-riddled teens, and the lazy assholes who couldn't give two shits about music.

Lets be honest. Making a go of it in music doesn't necessarily deserve all the awe we afford it. 99% of the time these people are immature whiners who write lyrics about as affecting as the shit I just took. Bob Dylan comes around once in a lifetime...and when he does it makes all the obsession people put into music worth it; because we get something back.

and always...forever...people like dylan, u2, radiohead will get to a place of being able to subsist on music alone. this will always be.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I'm not about to dig through 12 pages for a link, that I asked you kindly for.

But at least you are consistent and are sticking to your MO.

Good evening...

It's over on the main page of u2.com, here .

Back
Top Bottom