I'll be honest here. I'm worried about the new album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I know you'll tell me "but it's just some over-critical reviews!!!". Well, those reviews definitely don't look too good (obviously), and I'm sure there's a reason for that. U2 fans usually will like new U2 music. They're supposed to, right? Well... I'd hoped we'd get good reports from actual U2 fans before the album, but we haven't really. We've gotten good journalist reviews, but how much are those really worth? We've heard from multiple hardcore U2 fans just like us who say the album is disappointing, which honestly brings my hopes down a bit. Now I guess I'm just hoping for a decent U2 album. Of course I'll like it, I like all of U2's stuff, but I'm not expecting anything too great anymore.

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly suprised.

shart1780 said:
I know you'll tell me "but it's just some over-critical reviews!!!". Well, those reviews definitely don't look too good (obviously), and I'm sure there's a reason for that. U2 fans usually will like new U2 music. They're supposed to, right? Well... I'd hoped we'd get good reports from actual U2 fans before the album, but we haven't really. We've gotten good journalist reviews, but how much are those really worth? We've heard from multiple hardcore U2 fans just like us who say the album is disappointing, which honestly brings my hopes down a bit. Now I guess I'm just hoping for a decent U2 album. Of course I'll like it, I like all of U2's stuff, but I'm not expecting anything too great anymore.

The six songs I've heard are all great. This doesn't even include SYCMIOYO and One Step Closer, two of the best songs on the album according to Q.

My only expectation is that I will hear the album on 11/23 and decide for myself. Period. I'm only excited about the opportunity to hear a new U2 album, and to decide for myself.

Many hardcore fans have been dissapointed with every new album. That really means nothing. Everything is still uncertain until you hear it yourself. I remember how dissapointed a lot of people were with Achtung Baby. 13 years later it is considered thier best album. You just can never tell.

Being worried is fine and normal, but I wouldn't be worried because of a couple of reviews like those "one-listen" ones. I am a little worried myself but those reviews almost made me feel better because it doesn't seem to be the instantly accessable music that fades away quickly from the memory. The harder it is to like upon first listenning, the more chance it has of being a favorite in 5 years.

Anyway, just my opinion. All we can do is hope for the best and prepare for anything.

I don't understand why everyone is worried...this is a great time to be a U2 fan. A new album is on the way, its received SOME great reviews, a worldwide tour is on the way, and many TV appearances in the meantime...what else could you want?

Good album or bad, I'm just grateful there IS an album and some new tunes to chew on. I'm tired of waiting for 4 years. My biggest fear is that the songs would be too much like ATYCLB but so far it sounds like its not going to be the case.

Last edited:
I think as long as you take the following into account, you won't be disappointed:

1. U2 since 2000, and from now on will make albums to appeal to the widest possible audience. Hence, the likelihood that there will be the complex masterpieces as we've seen on previous albums is all but eliminated. There's no market in writing songs like Zooropa, Lemon, Always Forever Now, or Please. However, songs as obvious as Elevation or Stuck in a Moment sell like hotcakes.

2. No band, ever, has put out their best work in their 40s. None.

3. When the best part of the band, historically, is the lead singer's voice, and he treats that instrument with occasional disregard, it's a little jarring to hear it. Robert Smith and Morrissey are the same (approx) age as Bono, and their voices are pristine. Not Bono's.

4. U2 is now a corporation more than a band. All decisions are made to make the most money possible. That gets soaked into the songwriting.

5. You cannot top Achtung Baby, period. Everything since then will not measure up.

It'll be a good album, with some good songs, but the days of playing U2's new CD over and over (and over) again are, well ... over.

Last edited:
I played ATYCLB over and over again....uh, it wasnt there best work but it was still amazing.

I knew this thread was posted by you before I even clicked on it ;)

I really wouldn't worry about it. This is all from first impressions, which usually is no way to judge a U2 album. We've heard a lot from HTDAAB already, and, in my opinion, it's all been very good. However, we should all hold off forming any impression of the album until we've heard it for ourselves. Music, like all art, is very subjective, which is why we've already seen so many conflicting reviews and why we shouldn't care too much about them.

Seriously though, if you listen to it for the first time with negativity in your mind, you'll be a lot less likely to enjoy it.

Last edited:
biff said:
I really loathe it when people present what is purely personal opinion as "fact". :barf:

Exactly. That is why I relentlessly attack certain people at this forum. I know I shouldn't do it, but close mindedness to other opinions is infuriating.

The album will be good no matter what is said by anyone or everyone, it will not change music forever it will however be there to listen to as part of U2's extremely ( extremely ) impressive back catalogue..

Am not worried in the slightest. Dont give a toss about what any reviewer says (good or bad). 22nd November, will make up my own mind. And, having heard 4 of the songs one way or another, am v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v. happy with what I've heard so far!

I'm also very impressed with what i've heard so far.

-Basically some people will hate it just because they are soo in love with U2's other work, etc...No matter if the album is the best cut of music EVER.

-Some people will love it just becasue it's U2

-Some people will see that they did the best they could do and came up with a brilliant album and are using different methods, itunes, commercials, etc.. b/c they think they have something special and want to share it with as many people as possible, and there's nothing wrong with that.

people have opinions and the best way to sort them out is to look at the majority of opinions. Most people think JT and AB are masterpieces. Just cuz some people don't like them doesn't make them any less to those who enjoy them. :huh:

must admit, that i am also a little worried this album will fall into the safe, adult contemporary category - much like ATYCLB. i don't want bland indie rock, like Keane, Coldplay or Snow Patrol.

and all this talk about it being a "Edge's" album and guitar oriented is worrisome too - didn't Bono say all that bullshit about ATYCLB .

purpleblackeye: I've heard the album (unfortunately only once) and it's not a safe album. To me, it sounded like a cross between Achtung Baby, ATYCLB and The Joshua Tree. I really liked what I heard actually. But, as a lot of people are already saying here: it's based on just one listen (as are a lot of the reviews, if not all of them).

thanks for your response....yes, one listen is definitely not enough...it is probably all a blur to you at this point.

After hearing Vertigo, COBL, Miracle Drug...how can people still be worried about this being a copy of ATYLCB? Love and Peace or Else? Thats about as far from ATYCLB as you can get. Some people compare ABOY to stuff on the last album, I still dont get that. ABOY sounds like some 60's rock with a killer guitar solo from Edge. It sounds like the Who, not Beautiful Day. We need to get that new album as soon as possible so mostly everyone on this forum can fall in love with it and stop the negativity. :wink:

shart1780 said:

make up your own mind...

teebee said:
I think as long as you take the following into account, you won't be disappointed:

1. U2 since 2000, and from now on will make albums to appeal to the widest possible audience. Hence, the likelihood that there will be the complex masterpieces as we've seen on previous albums is all but eliminated. There's no market in writing songs like Zooropa, Lemon, Always Forever Now, or Please. However, songs as obvious as Elevation or Stuck in a Moment sell like hotcakes.

2. No band, ever, has put out their best work in their 40s. None.

3. When the best part of the band, historically, is the lead singer's voice, and he treats that instrument with occasional disregard, it's a little jarring to hear it. Robert Smith and Morrissey are the same (approx) age as Bono, and their voices are pristine. Not Bono's.

4. U2 is now a corporation more than a band. All decisions are made to make the most money possible. That gets soaked into the songwriting.

5. You cannot top Achtung Baby, period. Everything since then will not measure up.

It'll be a good album, with some good songs, but the days of playing U2's new CD over and over (and over) again are, well ... over.

i just hope that one day people will fall off the 'Achtung Love Train'...:yawn:

yeah, i hope one day, people will say this about Achtung Baby: "It is no HTDAAB, but it's still great"

jackboy, sweden is home to one of the greatest bands out there right now: The Soundtrack of Our Lives. Everyone should pick up the new album, "Origin I" for some real kick ass rock 'n roll.

rademR, you're right - it doesn't sound like ATYCLB yet, except for maybe the one minute snippet of Original of the Species.

ABOY = MW, so it sounds like AB to me. Unfortunately, for me, that is the one small part of AB I wasn't crazy about. But my point is, this album does not sound "safe" from what I've heard.

teebee said:

U2 have always been a corporation and a brilliant one at that. They are geniuses in maximizing profits (iPod deal, the fact that they own all their songs, corporate sponsorship/guaranteed money for their tours so there is no risk), and they are even greater marketing geniuses (publicity lost CD or lost laptop stunts, marketing ATYCLB as the healing album of 9/11, Bono's Save The World stunts that give them great media mileage, CNN ads). Other bands hog publicity through scandals or other means, U2 does it in a better way by purporting to do good deeds and appealing to the needy. I have always been nothing but praise for the U2 corporation. The best part? Greed hasn't taken over them. They want to maximize profits but they haven't internally fought big time yet. They are still intact as a band. That says a lot about them.

As for your point about nothing matching up to Achtung Baby --- well, AB didn't exactly match up to The Joshua Tree either. So up to this day, The Joshua Tree remains unmatched.

Cheers,

J

Interesting points, J, but ATYCLB was released almost a year BEFORE 9/11. It's just spookily coincidental that it fit in.

jick said:

marketing ATYCLB as the healing album of 9/11, Bono's Save The World stunts that give them great media mileage,
Cheers,

J

Please tell me your saying this with tongue in cheek?? Who marketed ATYCLB as the healing ablum of 9/11? I don't remember the band declaring ATYCLB is the sound that will heal a nation?? Sure, 9/11 coincided with the band on Elevation tour which in turn generated a lot of emotion where songs resonated with the audience post 9/11 in a whole new way.

Secondly, your line regarding Bono saving the world stunts - you know, if you really think that Bono saves the world in order to market the "corporate U2 brand" to a wider audience then your a bigger idiot than your post seems to indicate you are.

One of your worst posts yet.

Mark Freedman said:
Interesting points, J, but ATYCLB was released almost a year BEFORE 9/11. It's just spookily coincidental that it fit in.

The marketing was done AFTER 9/11. That's why ATYCLB lingered forever in the charts. U2 quickly marketed the album to adapt to the current situation in the world. They have flexibility and are marketing geniuses. When you're in your 40's you supposed to be toast. But U2 have lingered on thanks to unsurpassed marketing, probably the best ever in the music industry.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom