If you wear that velvet dress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soul service

The Fly
Anyone LOVE this song? I do, but I didn't find much people who did. Maybe on a U2 forum, I have a better chance!!

Can anyone explain me the moon and sun thing??? CAuse I tried to figure it out, but really wasn't able to fix every part of the song together with my explanation...

One of the sexiest songs U2 has ever recorded. I love listening to this song because it is kind of a sad lulliby with haunting lyrics and sparkling guitar. Velvet had existed for a long time (Zooropa sessions), if you look at the zooropa cover you can see the title of the song in the artwork. I think this song has had many lives, first was the zooropa sound, then when the song was mixed and or produced by Nellee Hooper, then the version we now know. I liked hearing it during Popmart but I wished they played the full version with the wonderful acoustic guitar part in the middle. I think it is one of the few songs on the album that actually sounds finished.

Oh yeah the sun and moon thing....bono likes to visit images of the sun and moon quite a bit.

"Gone"-i'll be up with the sun
"Staring at the Sun"
"Do you feel loved"-and it looks like the sun but it feels like rain
"Last night on Earth"-and the sun sun here it comes

I think he just mirrors man/woman relationships with sun/moon

[This message has been edited by Swan269 (edited 11-08-2001).]

Yeah, I know the story. I agree about the FULL version on Popmart. I felt like the song was incomplete on the show. The guitar solo is just so... so... sexual! I mean, it's wrapping you!!! But, can you explain me the lyrics, the meaning of the song?

read the above but the song is just about a man yearning for the touch of a particular woman.

Tonight, the moon is playing tricks again
I'm feeling seasick again.
The whole world could just dissolve
Into a glass of water.

I've been good, 'cause I know you don't want me to.
Do you really want me to be blue as you?
It's her daylight that gets me through.

We've been here before
Last time you scratched at my door
The moon was naked and cold
I was like a two-year-old
Who just wanted more.

If you wear that velvet dress.

Tonight, the moon's drawn its curtains
It's a private show
No-one else gonna know
I?m wanting.

Sunlight, sunlight fills my room
It's sharp and it's clear
But nothing at all like the moon.

It's okay
The struggle for things not to say
I never listened to you anyway
And I got my own hands to pray.

But if you wear that velvet dress.

Tonight the moon is a mirror-ball
Light flickers from across the hall
Who'll catch the star when it falls.

If You Wear is one of a kind. It is U2 making an extremely romantic, poetic, and sexy masterpiece that you can listen to with the one you love, or just to think about the one you love...

Bono's deep vocal is incredible, just barely heard over the guitar background. I love the Edge's minimalist style on this song, where just a few great notes create an entire atmosphere by themselves.

"Tonight the moon is a mirrorball"

Just a classic song. It is at the end of Pop, where the casual fans will never find it. Keep it for your wedding night.

AJ

That song is beautiful...I absolutely adore it...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

The sunlight is warm love......

The moonlight is cold left from wanting love.....

The moon is like the "wrong woman for me, but I like what I do with her" and the sun is the "Good person loving me". Sick of the moon blue attitude. He goes with the sun, cause he knows that's good. The moon come back scratching at his door, he can't resist, do the bad thing. He goes back with the good love, but think of the bad one.
The moon is a mirrorball, light flickers from across the hall = reflect the sun light. Who'll catch the star when it falls. Means when the good love will learn about, she'll leave, and the moon will loose it's sense of existence so the guy will be left alone. Is that the story???

Hence, lust feeling good but then leaving you empty while the sun's love is warm and lasts.

Yes the moon and sun all have those symbolic meanings in the song, but I also believe the song is somewhat literal in a sense. Its definitely a sexual experience. Maybe even a one night stand, or a mistress. So, the moon is the lustful night and the sun is the morning after: "Sunlight fills my room...
Its OK
The struggle for things not to say"

Thats the morning after awkwardness.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Got that, but what about "I got my own hands to pray"? I think that that's the only sentence that bugs me in the whole story... I don't understand what he means by that. I mean, I get the "struggle for things not to say", the "I never listened to you anyway" like they never talked at all cause it was only lust, but the "And I got my own hands to pray"... ? Means that she is not essential to his life? She doesn't bring spirituality?

Tackleberry, your story also makes a lot of sense!

After that If you wear that velvet dress explanation, I was looking for the explanation of Mysterious Ways, cause there is the same sun/moon opposition/contradiction... I've heard that "She" is the Holy Spirit. But, if I didn't know it, I couldn't have figure that out by myself... Anyone on that?

hey guys, i've posted this before but maybe you didn't get a chance to read it.

Velvetdress and I did a very indepth analysis of the sun/moon throughout AB, sun representing the wife and moon representing a mistress. It's online here:

http://www.u2takemehigher.com/etc/moon.html

there is an entire other angle to take on this- regarding the Holy Spirit and the woman being the same, or symbols of each other... but we didn't go into that. As you can see this was long enough!! But we talked about that line "i've got my own hands to pray" etc.. enjoy!!!

------------------
Give me one more chance
And you'll be satisfied
Give me two more chances
You won't be denied

* U2 Take Me Higher *

To make it a little easier I posted the part about VD here, although it makes even more sense if you read it in context w/ AB (the whole mistress/wife temptation really culminates in VD)

We're back on track again with Velvet Dress....and it pulls all the elements together. Right from the opening line, "the moon is playing tricks again", we are plunged directly into his conundrum between committed love (sun) and mistress (moon). He addresses the moon in 1st person in 2nd stanza "do you really want me to be blue as you/it's HER daylight that gets me through"......(nice blue moon reference!). Again the ambiguity with the you and your and hers. Getting lost again? Maybe he's a bit scared from the what the world showed him? (LNOE, Gone, Miami, Playboy Mansion). He's slipping... With "moon is playing tricks again", substitute playing with turning. Turning tricks means to sell yourself- like a prostitute. Good word play by Bono here. Goes back to 'take the money, honey' etc.!!!! "and you're turning tricks with your crucifix"..... Heavy! That moon is just a damn slut! He resents her interruption, her temptation, (and knows it could ruin him) but he can't help but be lured. He's trying to get back at her, to put on the brakes: "I've been good cause I know you don't want me to." He hates her right here, really smug and trying to show her she is unwelcome. But it is sung as if he is teasing her. He's still flirting with the idea of it, but is trying to be good and back off. We all do it -- tell someone no, just so
they will ask again and again. He's also tormenting his tormentor. He hasn't strayed, he's just overwhelmingly tempted.

The moon-lover is desperate, scratching at his door, and he was unmasked before her, naked and cold, equally desperate like a 2 year old wanting more. There are so many ways she made him childish. Selfish. Crybaby. Lost his way. Need his "mom," his wife. Children
are scared of the dark. But that desire with he's "JUST wanting more like a 2 year old" is so strong. He JUST wants more. (just= simply, but nothing's as simple as you think.) She has totally fucked with his head and made him into a child who needs his mom. JUST makes the "wanting more" an even stronger statement. JUST = ONLY. It's desperate, pleading. I love the unspoken-ness of the
chorus "If you wear that velvet dress....".....what? I won't be able to control myself? I will have to give in? My desire will overwhelm me? I love that it remains unspoken. Poor man, so wracked with desire, "I'm wanting"...... and it is sung achingly. Then the sun-wife comes in, and she's sharp and clear and easy to understand, but nothing at all like the moon. Back and forth!! Back and forth- just like the earth moves (is it moving for you the way it's moving for me?!) In one line "she's sharp and clear" the next line "BUT nothing at all
like the moon." There's that aching. And he says BUT nothing, not AND. An AND would support the face he likes the sharp and clear. The BUT says there is something missing in the sun!.... It's like when you are so totally overwhelmed with desire that the truth of the good thing you already has begins to blur, you can't see clearly. You are blinded by desire. He can't see straight. Can't see clearly (almost like he's been staring at the sun and see spots. Spots of darkness! Blindness...! The sun makes blind spots............. oh shit) It's a different sort of blindness than wrapping the night around you -- it's a blindness that comes from extreme brilliance.

"It's okay, the struggle for things not to say / I never listened to you anyway." I think this is actually brilliant. He wasn't going to moon for a companionship. Not intellectualism. Completely and utterly sexual. It's like a slap in the face to her- something you NEVER want to hear a man say, y?know? He's bitter and pissed and hitting her where it hurts. ?I've got my own hands to pray." Maybe this means he can take care of the mess on his own, praying to his wife to take him back. God for forgiveness? Either way he used her for the dirty work, he's being rude again. "I only need you for sex, or escape." Or whatever it was. Maybe this is the only way he can deal with her, the only way he can get rid of her- is to harden himself to her. To get mad, hoping she'll get mad back and leave. Classic male reaction
to a confusing situation!! "My own" hands to pray.... means, take your stinking hands away because I don't need them. "My own" again
is a very astute choice of words, because it adds bitterness and contempt. "I didn't want it that much anyway", if he is talking about the moon-lover, is a blatant lie. And if he's talking to the sun he's trying to slap HER face and say "I didn?t want YOU that much anyway." Which is ALSO a lie. That line is a lie. "It's no secret that a liar won't believe anyone else". He's in denial on several parts of the album, almost like he is trying to convince himself of something he knows to be untrue. ("what you leave behind you don't miss anyway" -- I don't think that's true for him here. It has become true for him by the time of ATYCLB, but it is not true for him on this album. He still misses it. He's changed his name, loses himself along the way, says he doesn't miss what he left behind [meaning himself] - but I don't
believe him). He is lost. "Light flickers from across the hall" -- can see him lying in bed with his wife, with the moon-lover-light
flickering in the distance. "Who'll catch the star when it falls" - he is OBVIOUSLY the star in every sense. Especially the sense that the sun/moon are satellites. The only other thing is a star. Which is him. Which is falling. Does that answer our question? Did he go back for just one more rendezvous? The moon will obviously take him back, no matter how much he insults her. SHE is aching (scratching at the door?! He leaves it up in the air about which woman will be there to catch him. The fact that this line comes after the "light flickers from across the hall" leads me to believe that YES, he is going back to the moon just one more time. If he had said "who'll catch the star when it falls" after a loving line about the sun, then I would think he had realized the truth about the moon. But the moon is a mirrorball,
flickering seductively across the hall, then "who'll catch the star when it falls." He's falling again. Wow this song is harsh! I'm not sure if there ever is a resolution either. We might stretch the Please metaphor into: "get up off your knees" talking to himself. Not going to beg the sun OR the moon anymore. But that might be a stretch since it's obviously a religious song.

------------------
Give me one more chance
And you'll be satisfied
Give me two more chances
You won't be denied

* U2 Take Me Higher *

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 11-09-2001).]

Great interpretation! Agree with you.

Shit, I had another meaning, but it's all screwed because there isn't a "s" to "star". My explanatino was that the moon can only be seen because of the sun's light; it reflects on the moon and then, you see that white lady. If the moon is mirroball, the sunlight on it will reflect in little stars. Get what I mean? Like the giant lemon. If the sun doesn't shine on the moon during the night, we can see her. So, no reflect on the mirrorball, no stars... So, without the sun, the moon is dark and there aren't stars reflected everywhere. So, without the sun, the moon lose its reason... Get what I mean?

Don't have much to add regarding y'all interpretations (but that one of the reasons I like this song so much is the apparent contradictions and/or oppositions in it). Just wanted to join in the praise...! It's just so damn sensual--I find it hard to concentrate on anything else when it's playing!
wink.gif

i like IYWTVD's suggestive bono noises. *mind wanders*

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

Originally posted by madonna's child:
i like IYWTVD's suggestive bono noises. *mind wanders*
BonoSounds make songs so special...*runs to listen to BonoMix*
biggrin.gif
*droooooool*

------------------
~*Mona*~
a little girl With Spanish eyes
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, Give me Soul

Magic Magic Magic Joe Houdini

Back