If You Wear That Velvet Dress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
Being a longtime U2 fan, should I have heard the Jules Holland version of this song that I've heard of from so many different people on here? Where can such a thing be bought? Is there a site streaming it? I really love the album version of Velvet Dress quite a bit, but I'm up for hearing it done a different way.

It's on "Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra - Friends 2" or "Jools Holland - Small World Big Band (More Friends)"

If you like 'Two shots of Happy...' you'll like this
IMO the album version is much better, Bono's voice is too ATYCLB-ish in this one and his falsetto is the worst he's ever done... in the studio.

I can send it to you if you want :)

Both versions are great but I LOVE the album version. I wish U2 would create atmosphere like that again.

It's enjoyable, fun, very different to the original. So different it's hard to compare, but I far, far, far prefer the original.

Album version and the Jools version are both awesome and special in their own ways. Both are sexy, but the tinkly jazz piano and extra vocals of the Jools version do indeed give it that extra oomph :combust:

I just realized I spelled Jools wrong. I really like that version--better than live, but not as good as the album.

:drool: It's too good.

Actually, all three versions are wonderful. It's just an all-around great song.

Very different to the album version, I like them both. Ideally I'd like a mix of album version musically, but with the Bono solo vocals.

I find the Jools version a tad OTT (in a sleazy Tom Jones kind of way). Absolutely love the album version, though. Edge's guitar work is spellbinding.

do you know when it was recorded ? Bono's vocals on Jools Holland version sound to me like after the surgery,

Last edited:
Says u2wanderer.org

Bono re-recorded "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" with Jools Holland, his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra, and the British jazz trumpeter, Guy Barker. The track was recorded in late summer 2002, as U2 were putting the finishing touches on their The Best Of 1990 - 2000 Compilation. That compilation featured several other reworkings of Pop songs, from which "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" also originated.

Back
Top Bottom