If You Could Remove One Song From U2's Albums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy: Shadows and Tall Trees

October: Is That All?

War: Redlight

UF: Indian Summer Sky

The Joshua Tree: None

R&H: Heartland

Achtung Baby: Acrobat

Zooropa: Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car

Pop: Miami

ATYCLB: Grace

HTDAAB: A Man and A Woman

Zootlesque said:
U2 fans hating the greatest U2 song ever written makes me sad. :sigh:

We're not hating With Or Without You. :wink:
Just One.
And that makes everything okay.

Zootlesque said:
One Tree Hill is not even the greatest song on JT, let alone for all-time! Oh snap! :p

Of a specific category, One is the greatest U2 song. The category however is the problem.

One is the greatest U2 pop-ballad that was a single in 1992 and has really shitty guitar effects.

*marches onto stage holding a white flag, only to reveal it actually has "ONE SUCKS!!!" written on it*

*has steamroller smash thousands of copies of the one vinyl and cd single*

KhanadaRhodes said:
*marches onto stage holding a white flag, only to reveal it actually has "ONE SUCKS!!!" written on it*

*has steamroller smash thousands of copies of the one vinyl and cd single*

Now you're a candidate for the title of Coolest Person Ever.

Prolly would remove One...and Throwing Arms Around the World.

In fact, U2 already did that for me because TTTYAATW wasn't copied from my CD into iTunes when I first got my iPod :lol:

One was though :grumpy:

I love how all the One dislikers, detractors, and haters are really starting to come out of the woodwork nowadays. Back in the day, it seemed to be just Liam and I who were loudly anti-One.

:happy:

Axver, you're wishing for the impossible

despite your hatred for this song, it will always, i repeat, always, be remembered as one of the great songs ever written....always

... no. By U2 fans, maybe. But outside the U2 fandom, nobody really thinks that.

^ No, you're wrong, don't even try to contradict.
It's a world's general opinion, even including people who don't like U2: "One" is one of the best songs ever written by a band. Full stop.

Axver said:
I love how all the One dislikers, detractors, and haters are really starting to come out of the woodwork nowadays. Back in the day, it seemed to be just Liam and I who were loudly anti-One.

Hey wait a minute, I've always been anti-One, too. At least the studio version. It improves exponentially live (though it's still not as good as most of the rest of that album live).

KhanadaRhodes said:

:love:

seriously! i'd be hard pressed to find a casual/non-fan who'd give a shit about the song.

I tried that argument about a week ago and gave up when the people started saying that my friends who are casual/non-fans and didn't know it (despite knowing Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, I Still Haven't..., Streets, Desire, Mysterious Ways, Sweetest Thing, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo....) don't know music in general.

the tourist said:
I tried that argument about a week ago and gave up when the people started saying that my friends who are casual/non-fans and didn't know it (despite knowing Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, I Still Haven't..., Streets, Desire, Mysterious Ways, Sweetest Thing, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo....) don't know music in general.
:lol: to me, i figure if it gets played on the radio fairly frequently, they'll know it! and ever since achtung baby was released (i'm sure axver knows the exact statistics by heart :wink: ), one's pretty much been a concert staple. they wouldn't play some rare album track (never mind that it was a single...) at nearly every fucking concert if it wasn't popular with (most) fans and non-fans alike!

KhanadaRhodes said:

:lol: to me, i figure if it gets played on the radio fairly frequently, they'll know it! and ever since achtung baby was released (i'm sure axver knows the exact statistics by heart :wink: ), one's pretty much been a concert staple. they wouldn't play some rare album track (never mind that it was a single...) at nearly every fucking concert if it wasn't popular with (most) fans and non-fans alike!

I just think it's really popular to U2 fans because of its significance to the band or whatever. If they'd written Stay during the Achtung Baby sessions and said that it was the song that kept them from breaking up or whatever, it'd be much more near and dear to the hearts of U2 fans. But casual fans/non-fans probably still wouldn't know Stay if that were true.

the tourist said:
I just think it's really popular to U2 fans because of its significance to the band or whatever. If they'd written Stay during the Achtung Baby sessions and said that it was the song that kept them from breaking up or whatever, it'd be much more near and dear to the hearts of U2 fans. But casual fans/non-fans probably still wouldn't know Stay if that were true.
:yes: although i don't like stay much either, if the wanderer weren't on zooropa, it'd probably by vote for what i'd give the ax!

Axver said:

I fucking hate One (especially post-Popmart live versions) and dislike Achtung Baby, and I think I mentionned it in one of my first messages on this forum

It's amazing. I almost think we need a threat that's titled "We Fucking Hate One, And Here's Why:" and we can all say why we hate it. :drool:

Aygo said:
^ No, you're wrong, don't even try to contradict.
It's a world's general opinion, even including people who don't like U2: "One" is one of the best songs ever written by a band. Full stop.

You give orders here now, do you? Well, I for one have no interest in listening to you.

You're wrong in any case. One doesn't have any of the critical acclaim you imagine it has. It is an unremarkable and conventional song in stylistic terms. Nobody outside the U2 fandom will point to it as an amazing example of composition in the way people point towards songs like Comfortably Numb.

the tourist said:
It's amazing. I almost think we need a threat that's titled "We Fucking Hate One, And Here's Why:" and we can all say why we hate it. :drool:

DO IT.

DOOOOO IIIIIIT.

Or I will. I just love "we fucking hate One and here's why" for a subject line.

Axver said:

You give orders here now, do you? Well, I for one have no interest in listening to you.

You're wrong in any case. One doesn't have any of the critical acclaim you imagine it has. It is an unremarkable and conventional song in stylistic terms. Nobody outside the U2 fandom will point to it as an amazing example of composition in the way people point towards songs like Comfortably Numb.

It is not by the grace of God that "One" appears several times on the lists of the best songs ever written by the media (lists that are usually based on people's opinion, not based on journalists' opinion).

Worse than not playing "Streets", U2 should never remove "One" from the setlists (no matter how tired we are of this song). Casual fans and non-fans will leave the show with a bit of disappointment because the band didn't play the song. You can write this, lad.

I know opinion is opinion and taste is taste by I don't think I'll be able to understand how you can not like ONE. For me, it's the greatest song ever written by anyone, seriously. It still gives me chills and moves me to tears when I hear it, even in the worst live version. I would love ONE if it was the only song I'd like by U2, even without being a fan. And I know a lot of non-fans who love the song. It just gives me this special feeling of both, bitterness and hope. And I like it BECAUSE it is such a simple song.

Aygo said:

It is not by the grace of God that "One" appears several times on the lists of the best songs ever written by the media (lists that are usually based on people's opinion, not based on journalists' opinion).

...you do realise those lists are solely based on the journalists opinions, right? You'll notice Q usually puts a Radiohead album on the top of their yearly "best albums of all time" lists when none of those albums deserve to be in the top 50.

Aygo said:
Worse than not playing "Streets", U2 should never remove "One" from the setlists (no matter how tired we are of this song). Casual fans and non-fans will leave the show with a bit of disappointment because the band didn't play the song. You can write this, lad.

I think that casuals would not leave disappointed because they missed out on one "classic" (pfft, what a term) song even though they might have got half a dozen true classics (SBS, Streets, whatever.)

Back
Top Bottom