If Vertigo had a guitar solo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FelipeVox

Acrobat
I mean, a fucking greaaat guitar solo (like on The Fly), it would be on my top 10!

but anyway now it´s on my top 20! it´s better then loooooots of old songs

i kinda like Edge's short solo in Vertigo, it's more punk rock than a longer AB styled one IMHO

If Vertigo had a solo, it would be ruined. This is a punk song, people. It's not meant to have a solo.

I don´t think Vertigo is that punk rock... It sound more like old 60s-70s rock n roll, maybe like Rolling Stones
the solo doesn´t suck, but it would be nice if this album had more solos

Last edited:
For all my talk about hoping that HTDAAB is guitar saturated and with a healthy supply of songs w/solos; a solo wouldn't fit on VERTIGO. It's too fast paced, too much a 'u2 does punk song'. There's enough hard hitting guitar play on it to keep me plenty happy.

U2 doesn't need solos in their songs unless they fit. The Edge knows his style and believe me, it works for the classic U2 sound!

I personally think that Vertigo should feature a two minute guitar battle between The Edge and Slash. C.C. Deville should do some background guitar work on the song. And Tommy Lee should replace Larry on drums.

:banghead:

The live version will have a solo. You can bet on it.

Miggy D said:
I personally think that Vertigo should feature a two minute guitar battle between The Edge and Slash. C.C. Deville should do some background guitar work on the song. And Tommy Lee should replace Larry on drums.

:banghead:

Geez! What do you have against Larry!

Vertigo is an amazing song which would not work with a guitar solo. If you want guitar solos go listen to The Darkness.

i can imagine the live 'vertigo' will slow down for a few seconds the way 'i will follow' on the elevation tour did and edge would play the three notes while bono improvises lyrics in the 'all of this can be yours' part of the song; followed by the drop out, then boom the song closes and maybe a solo at the end, i.e. 'last night on earth'. thats the onlyway i can imagine a heavy edge guitar solo.

later,
mofo82

I love solos and I think The Edge knows how to do them. I was expecting a solo on U2's new rock single but it's not there. And I'm glad it isn't on this particular song, cause it just doesn't seem to be the kind of song that has a good moment for a solo. Maybe before the slow part starts or in the very end like they did on Last Night On Earth. I was definitely expecting some solos like The Fly, UTEOTW, Bullet the Blue Sky or Sunday Bloody Sunday on this record but now I'm just not so sure about it. That's all right though.

The Sage said:
If you want guitar solos go listen to The Darkness.
:|

Last edited:
i agree with you stars to an extent...look at the wonders that edge's 'bullet' solos have done for that song. his guitar work there is his expression of pain and corruption, the injustices of el salvador. those are the sounds that the band would have to agree felt best for that song, and every other song as well. thank god u2 isnt solo hungry because the solos are so good and rare that they really stand out form the rest and feel part of the song. i dont think the solo is really a selfish move or detracts from u2 since they are so selective in its use.

This song has everything just right. It isn't short like some people have said because it is played really fast and it certainly doesn't need an extensive solo like Bullet. I love the guitar part in the middle:drool:. Very punky and straight to the point. Behind all the silly lines quiet clever lyrics to. U2 is getting in shape.

radioskugga said:
What is it with this obsession with guitar solos?! :mad:

and with rockers? it seems we are going to this kind of song classification:

ballad - sucks
mid-tempo - not interesting
mid-tempo w/ guitar solo - good
rocker - great
rocker w/ guitar solo - perfect

poor Urocking2

bedouin fire said:

and with rockers? it seems we are going to this kind of song classification:

ballad - sucks
mid-tempo - not interesting
mid-tempo w/ guitar solo - good
rocker - great
rocker w/ guitar solo - perfect

poor Urocking2

Exactly. I sometimes feel like I've wandered into a Van Halen forum by mistake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom