If U2 made an Abbey Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Abbey Road songs would you like to see U2 emulate?

• Come Together

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Something

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Oh! Darling

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Octopus's Garden

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Here Comes the Sun

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Because

• You Never Give Me Your Money

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Sun King

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Mean Mr. Mustard

• Polythene Pam

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

• Golden Slumbers

• Carry That Weight

• End

• Her Majesty

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
There's only one choice for me, Something is one of the most beautiful songs ever. George Harrison never came anywhere near writing anything that good again.

SpaceOddity said:

You've never heard of "Something" or "Come Together"? :silent: I'd recommend going out and purchasing "Abbey Road". Right.now. ;)

I might have heard them on radio, but I don't recognise the names. Is there a definitive best-of by The Beatles that is out? Because I've been trying to find one, with all their best songs, singles etc on it.

Actually, I vote She Came in Through the Bathroom Window. U2 should do it because it will be their second song with the words though and window in the same title. :up:

COBL_04 said:

I might have heard them on radio, but I don't recognise the names. Is there a definitive best-of by The Beatles that is out? Because I've been trying to find one, with all their best songs, singles etc on it.

Hmm... well, there is "The Beatles 1," which contains all of their no. 1 hits. That's probably your best bet. :up:

Last edited:
An Cat Gav said:
There's only one choice for me, Something is one of the most beautiful songs ever. George Harrison never came anywhere near writing anything that good again.
You should give a song called 'Behind That Locked Door' a spin sometime (from his solo album, All Things Must Pass). Some great stuff on that album, actually.

Back to this topic: I would love to see U2 create the joyful rebirth of 'Here Comes the Sun'. That's probably my favourite Abbey Road song.

If I had to choose, "Here Comes The Sun" would be the template. "Something" is over-produced and has some of that '70s feel that I don't like.

Utoo said:

28cr.gif

:wink:

the last time i saw an internet image of cheeks being spread apart I almost cried.

Anyways, I'd love to see them do something like the Abbey Road Suite at the end, or Here Comes the Sun, or Come Together.

I don't know, if they want to emulate The Beatles, why don't they just ask Oasis?

since Rubin hasn't said anything to the press about the sound of the record, i think it is a mistake for us to think he is striving for a RAW sound with U2. This is a fallacy that has followed Rubin. Yes his work with Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash is indeed stripped down, but those are artist where it made sense. With a band like Red Hot Chili Peppers, the opposite is true.

Anyone who thinks that By The Way is a stripped down record hasn't heard By The Way.

If we are to speculate, I honestly think that given U2's love of sonic structure, and the fact that their "back to basics" album had such thick textures as KITE and NEW YORK, then this album will not be a stripped down effort.

My thoughts: I think they hired Rubin specifically BECAUSE of his work with the Chili Peppers. Given that all we've heard so far (The Saints Are Coming) is pretty hard, and that the remaining stuff from the HTDAAB sessions were more guitar heavy, (and remember Bono said it is time for Edge and Larry to just let loose and go nuts) it seems to me that they want to rock, not sit on a stool and play acoustics.

If there is any album we should look to to speculate, it shouldn't be the American Recordings of Johnny Cash, it should be something more along the lines of Stadium Arcadium.

(now before people get bent out of shape, I just mean that if there is a Rubin Vibe to look for, it would be the one from this album. I don't mean that U2 will emulate RHCP.)

I happen to think Stadium Arcadium is brilliant, so that can't be all bad.

And that would be a nice vibe because ABBEY ROAD the album is hardly a stripped down sound. The second half of the record would be something I would be interested in hearing from U2. A string of smaller melodies that form a larger piece of music. ANd they could perform it live the same way.

that would be awesome.

I haven't heard Stadium Arcadium, but the first two singles are rather blahhh. Danni California is a complete rip-off of Last Dance With Mary Jane. Every time i hear it i can't resist singing the lines "she grew up in an Indiana town..." or "oh my my oh hell yes you gotta put on that party dress". Plus, they need to stop plugging California. It's a good state, but why the obsession? And their second single, that I forget the title to, wouldn't even have been considered B-side worthy to any single off Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

you know rubin has worked with the beastie boys and run dmc and even produced a song by jay z.

so maybe we can get the hip hip album Bono has been wanting to make!

david said:
you know rubin has worked with the beastie boys and run dmc and even produced a song by jay z.

so maybe we can get the hip hip album Bono has been wanting to make!

Plus Bono has been showing some bling lately... notably at the football event! I think an album along the lines of Pop's Miami with even more hip hop stylings is in the making. :wink:

Clawgrabber said:
If there is any album we should look to to speculate, it shouldn't be the American Recordings of Johnny Cash, it should be something more along the lines of Stadium Arcadium.

(now before people get bent out of shape, I just mean that if there is a Rubin Vibe to look for, it would be the one from this album. I don't mean that U2 will emulate RHCP.)

I happen to think Stadium Arcadium is brilliant, so that can't be all bad.

stadium arcadium put me to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom