If U2 ever broke up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
...and members decided to start groups like Velvet Revolver (slash and scott wieland and others) who would you want to see Adam, Larry, The Edge, or Bono join forces with. If this did happen (hopefully it never does and most likely will not) I wouldnt mind seeing what could be of The Edge and say maybe Robert Plant with a few other stragglers... it leads me to think Where would Bono be without Edge? haha...i dont think its possible for them to be anything great without the four of them together...which is proven because I didnt care for anything that Velvet Revolver has released. Ideas?

Last edited:
This is one of the those topics that's uncomfortable for U2 fans to talk about (as evidenced by the lack of responses). At this point in time, with the guys hitting 50 in a couple of years, I really don't think "U2" as such would survive the loss of any member -- Bono has basically said as much in the past. Of course the guys would still be involved in music, but at their age, with their legacy now, there's no way they're going to just replace Edge or Larry -- it's unthinkable.

Clearly Bono, as a singer/songwriter, and Edge, as the main composer/arranger and key instrumentalist, would be able to continue making commercially accessible music without the other guys. Bono is so famous now that any solo disc he released would be a guaranteed hit. Edge would probably lend himself out to various projects, occasionally playing shows that he headlined himself, record soundtracks, etc. I do not see Edge at 50 joining a full-time supergroup like Velvet Revolver... but I could be wrong.

Adam and Larry, as the rhythm section, would be hard-pressed, not to join another band --- which they obviously could --- but to be taken seriously. Whatever they would go on to do -- as Adam has previously pointed out -- they would forever be thought of as "the bass player/drummer from U2."

Maybe it's more interesting to speculate what would have happened had Edge actually quit the band back in 1990 or so. The other guys had so much more to give, I find it hard to believe they would have packed it in barely out of their 20s. Would they have kept going, like R.E.M.?

If Edge had left in 1990, then there's no more U2. I think them breaking up at that point would've permanently consigned them to being "an 80's band" like the other big-name acts from that decade actually did split up (the Police, GNR, etc.)

Bono would've gone onto a solo career, perhaps ended up something like Sting. I could see Larry and Adam perhaps continuing to work together given their chemistry, and probably sticking with someone they already knew. Perhaps they could've become a three-man band with Dan Lanois.

gweeps said:
I bet they break up within 10 years. Christ, they'll all almost be 60!

To be honest, I absolutely hate this topic and it annoys me to talk about but anyway......

gweeps, are you being serious? I don't believe U2 will ever actually break up. I believe they will collectively decide to call it quits when the time is right. I realize it is a possibility, but they have managed to stay a solid band for over 30 years now, and the toughest years are behind them. The respect between them is truly remarkable and simply unseen nowadays; if anything, their relationships will only get stronger! This is why I can't imagine U2 actually breaking up.

I don't think I want to ever see them break up. They have it too good now. They can do their own thing, take on solo projects or collaborations, as well as vacation and travel the world on behalf of their various projects and still record and tour togehter.

:sad: I know its ridiculous, but I can't even contemplate the idea with any sense of rationale - it is just to :scream:

Although I would hope that they would still have some sort of creative and musical output . . . edge would be a pretty cool professor of musicology . . . :wink:

I don't think they will ever break up formally. As long as they are healthy and fine and love what they are doing I don't see any reason why they shouldn't continue to make music. I hope they will be around for many more years and won't be torn apart by disease or any sad events. I don't see them really "breaking up", they are too close to each other. Maybe they'll stop making albums or tours, but I don't see the single members following solo carreers. They all may do side projects, like they have been doing for years. But at least Bono has said several times that he doesn't want to make a solo album. And with the new Live Nation deal and the new studio at the U2 tower in Dublin, it looks like they don't want to stop making music any time soon.

If U2 ever broke up... wait a minute. Anyone ever heard of deja vu?

U2 are never breaking up. Even in death, they'll all still be together.

Let's face it: U2 are a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

MrPryck2U said:
If U2 ever broke up... wait a minute. Anyone ever heard of deja vu?

U2 are never breaking up. Even in death, they'll all still be together.

Let's face it: U2 are a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I agree with all the responses in this vein. U2 is not just a band, they're a family in every sense. They're all loyal to each other and loyal to where they come from, and those values will be there with or without music. I can see the four guys - if U2 would have never taken off - still linked by faith and friendship... maybe not to the same degree that this lifestyle has forced them together, but they do like each other and respect each other, and music is not the link that keeps them together, it's just a product of something much stronger. When the music portion of U2 ends there's plenty that will endure.

The coolest part is they realize it. They know that something special happens when they play music together... and it's not cause they're the best musicians! :wink:

Edge would probably be still making music in one way or another, Bono would be a full-time activist, Larry and Adam wouldn't be heard of again.

the only thing that matters to me is that if any of them would record after breaking up I'd probably have very little interest in it except for just being curious

Edge perhaps being the exception to that to some extent

I dont think they will ever break up until they are just old farts.. i was just thinking about who would you possibly want a member or members to join forces with... if they did years ago.

They won't break up. All of them want to walk on. They simply ARE U2. So a thread like this doesn't make sense ...:eyebrow:

ZOOTVTOURist said:
They won't break up. All of them want to walk on. They simply ARE U2. So a thread like this doesn't make sense ...:eyebrow:

Like i said, "years ago"...im not planning on them breaking up..no one ever likes to think about "what if" on this thing :huh:

If U2 were to break up any time soon?

Well, they better go out with a bang (read: a studio album on the same level of TJA or AB, or else there's going to be a whole lot of pissed off fans out there. I suppose they have it in them, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

i doon't think they will break up. I think a more likely scenario is that they will continue to make albums for another 10 years or even more but in time the albums will be farther apart and eventually will stop making albums all together and just perform here and there and release best of albums and old stuff etc etc.

Mrs. Garrison said:
this thread sucks

If that's the only contribution you have to make to a thread, you are better off just not posting at all and going to a thread that you feel doesn't suck.

Back
Top Bottom