If U2/Bono care for Africa so much...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I think they might. They've talked about playing into 2006 (and I don't think they have a choice...you aussies would invade Dublin if they didn't!) Bono's also promised to play Mexico and mentioned Brazil. So if they're doing a full-blown world tour, they might as well do it a la Popmart and hit at least S. Africa. I hope so, and I agree that it would look awfully hypocritical if they didn't.

timothius said:
(On that Australia bitching, New Zealand hasn't had U2 since ZooTV so quiet you're typical whinging please... thanks):wink:

I didn't mean it as a whinge or a bitch. I just meant that U2 haven't played a world tour in a bloody long time, okay!!!! :mad:

:wink:

beli said:

I didn't mean it as a whinge or a bitch. I just meant that U2 haven't played a world tour in a bloody long time, okay!!!! :mad:
:wink:

U2 have never played a truly World Tour. PopMart was reasonably close though.

One of my major criticisms of U2 has been there obsession with Europe & USA. Now sure, I know they are major markets and all that, but with regards to touring every other country is treated as at best...an afterthought.

USA was treated twice to JT, and Europe once - yet no other areas even got a show.

Same with ZooTV Europe and USA were given two legs each before Australia, NZ and Japan were given a handful of shows of the watered down Zoomerang show.

PopMart explored several new areas in Europe and went slightly more south in America, to their credit, also it did go to SA. It did all this after of course USA had been given 2 legs. Although to be a truly world tour you would think a show or two in the middle east or Asia (not Japan) could be useful, maybe even a show in NZ.

Elevation they said the right fuck you to the rest of the world and only toured Europe and USA (twice).

The band that claims to be the biggest band in the world, will end 2005 having not played outside USA (Canada) & Europe for 8 years. That is seriously bizzare.

Actually, while we are moaning, its less than North America and Europe. Its North America and Western Europe. The Eastern Europeans get diddly squat as well.

The Africans aren't being left out, theres very few regions that are being left in :woe:

U2girl said:

This is not about apartheid.

I realise that, but had there not been apartheid in South Africa, U2 could have potentially played there along with the other bands that also boycotted the country. So the argument that U2 played Australia several times before Popmart, thus making the comparison to Africa void, doesn't really work either. Prior to Popmart, U2 couldn't play in South Africa - which is really the only feasible place to play on the continent - because of apartheid. If they really wanted to perform there, they could have, but then they would have received the same backlash that Queen received.

Back
Top Bottom