If they play ABOY on SNL.............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Beautiful Day" and "Elevation" were two rocking songs - and "Elevation" really got the crowd going. I think this helped U2 a lot during the holiday season sales period for ATYCLB.

With that in mind, I can easily see U2 performing "Vertigo" (it's almost a gimme - they have to play it as, like "Beautiful Day", it's the song people know most from the new album). Rather than slow things down, I think U2 will want to rock again - and "All About You" is the perfect choice. Plus, being a shorter song, it flows great with the format of the show.

I remember U2 didn't even rehearse Elevation the last time they were on SNL. I think they rehearsed BD, Stuck, and Hold Me Thrill Me...(for Val Kilmer, Batman). I could be wrong. I would put my money on Vertigo and ABOY.

discothequeLP said:
Look, guys, forget the TOTP show! It was mimed! the instruments were off!

The Radio 1 show on tuesday was real. During ABOY, Edge played the high part during the intro, but after the 1st chorus the high part was played from a recording. Then, after the 3rd chorus, Edge played the high part again.

I posted this in 'Even Better Than The Real Thing ??' wondering what they were going to do with this song live. . . i've been listening to the live track from HQ repeatedly and I think i hear where the transition points are but this seems like a dangerous approach. . . The rhythm guitar part is not terribly difficult - why can't Bono play it? If i can, and i am certainly no technical master, this seems like a very bad idea for a 'live' band. To me it's one thing to have a keyboard under the stage. . . but to have a taped rhythm guitar - that's seriously disappointing if it's true.

filmrcj said:
songs rehearsed vertigo
sometime u cant do it...
i will follow'

also snl built special stage for u2

What? Are you for real? Are you an insider? That would be awesome!

GG_The_Fly said:

The rhythm guitar part is not terribly difficult - why can't Bono play it? If i can, and i am certainly no technical master, this seems like a very bad idea for a 'live' band. To me it's one thing to have a keyboard under the stage. . . but to have a taped rhythm guitar - that's seriously disappointing if it's true.

actually, it is kinda hard to do the rhythm guitar and sing at the same time-- harder than playing Vertigo and singing at the same time. And taped rhythm gutiar isn't bad. Gone on Elevation Boston was excellent, and Edge's 747 guitar was off of a tape there. I think Edge controls the sequencers / loops, so i'm guessing he also was behind the controls of the rhythm gutiar track on the Radio 1 show.

backing tracks like these are pretty cool if you use them well. i know my band needs stuff like that!

discothequeLP said:
i know my band needs stuff like that!

They wouldn't need it if they were sensible enough to record songs that four men can play on a stage by themselves.

Is there going to be a way to watch it if somehow you aren't going to be around? Judging by people's comments about their last appearance, this is a must-see.

discothequeLP said:

actually, it is kinda hard to do the rhythm guitar and sing at the same time-- harder than playing Vertigo and singing at the same time. And taped rhythm gutiar isn't bad. Gone on Elevation Boston was excellent, and Edge's 747 guitar was off of a tape there. I think Edge controls the sequencers / loops, so i'm guessing he also was behind the controls of the rhythm gutiar track on the Radio 1 show.

Did they do this for 'Walk On' as well during Elevation??

I think we're in for a treat

I think they'll play COBL....and possibly outdoors? People are talking about something happening outside the studio tomorrow night.

"City" would be so fitting...it's a f***ing brilliant song, and one of their best in my humble opinion. (I'm in a Bono-like swear-mode).

I am absolutely in love with this song...it's gonna be so moving and emotional live. ...I'm in my admittedly lusty phase, but at the moment, I think COBL has much stronger heartstring-pulling power than Streets...and that's saying a lot.

discothequeLP said:

I don't know, I have to disagree. The rhythm part of ABOY is not difficult, and it especially shouldn't be difficult for someone who has been playing the guitar as long as Bono (I know, I know, he's no Hendrix, but the guy knows chords, and there are like 2 or 3 at most in the song).

I agree with GG the Fly; if they use a backing track for the rhythm part, I will be a little disappointed.

it's easy to play, it's hard to play and sing. the timing of the words and the strumming can get tricky.

ahh, fuck it all. just play MERCY!!

discothequeLP said:
it's easy to play, it's hard to play and sing. the timing of the words and the strumming can get tricky.

ahh, fuck it all. just play MERCY!!

Yeah, it can. But all I'm saying is that for someone who has spent 25 years writing songs on guitars and playing them very often, it shouldn't be that hard.

Look at a lot of 3 piece bands, for example. Or look at any of the grits on the country music channel. They do it all the time.

Mercy wouldn't be bad either, though. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom