If there is one U2 song that's like nails across the blackboard of my soul...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
...it's Acrobat.

I didn't like it for a long time. Now I think it's a fine song, but it's so painful I can barely listen to it.

"Don't believe what you hear
Don't believe what you see
If you just close your eyes
You can feel the enemy"

"I'd join the movement if there was one I could believe in
Yeah I'd break bread and wine if there was a church I could receive in
Cause I need it now"

"To take a cup
To fill it up
To drink it slow
Can't let you go"

Back in my younger and more foolish days I didn't think Achtung Baby was a heavy album, content-wise. I thought heavy lyrics had to be something like SBS or Mothers of the Disappeared. That was probably before I ever had my heart broken (or whatever). Now I think Acrobat is a strong contender for U2's heaviest lyrics ever.

By the way, forgive the bizarre and not very good metaphor in the subject of this post.

------------------
The city walls are all pulled down
The dust a smokescreen all around
See faces ploughed like fields that once gave no resistance

I could not agree with you more. Finally another person that loves Acrobat as much as I do. I love the lyrics... As BB King said "You're too young to write heavy lyrics"- apparently they aren't.

Great song...
Great lyric...
Great band...

------------------
"I'll see you when I get home!"

but remember when I moved in you
and the Holy Dove was moving too
and every breath we drew was Hallelujah

I definately agree! love the song, very dark lyrics as well. And for dark lyrics, So Cruel is also high on the list.

I agree about "So Cruel" and it's one of my favorites. Another song along those lines is "She's a Mystery to Me" and I wish U2 would do a studio recording of that for a CD (not just the demo or live versions that I have).

I love ACROBAT

And I must be an acrobat
to talk like this and like that

It's a great song, one of my fave's off AB and I love listening to that song in the dark.

It ROCKS.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Originally posted by MysteryGirl:
I agree about "So Cruel" and it's one of my favorites. Another song along those lines is "She's a Mystery to Me" and I wish U2 would do a studio recording of that for a CD (not just the demo or live versions that I have).

Totally agree!! have you heard the full band live version from the lovetown tour complete with horns?

Acrobat is indeed a great song, I much prefer So Cruel though... So Cruel is one of my favorites, along with One Tree Hill, well actually I must say the great majority of U2 songs are my favorite songs... Hahahaha well Id have more if I actually had the patience to listen to the end of Joshua Tree on a semifrequent basis right SKeeK? LOL... for some reason Im in the habit of turning it off when exit begins, being so quiet at first and all... Theres only one solution to this problem, listen to it constantly
biggrin.gif

------------------
Im not anti-social, Im anti-idiot, and there are a hellofa lot of idiots out there.

tomorrow night i'm gonna duct-tape headphones to your head and put exit and mothers of the disappeared on repeat.

maybe i'll bring the rattle and hum dvd, too

my contenders would be Love is Blindness or One. both are heart-breaking.

LIB - "love is clockworks and cold steel. fingers too numb to feel...."

One - "" well... anything within One
wink.gif

------------------
Here's to the few who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
--Leonard Cohen

One is an amazing song... so is Love is blindness... But Ultraviolet, in my opinion, has one of the best introductions though... after the 'some times i feel like i dont know, some times i feel like checkin out, dont wanna get it wrong, cant always be strong'... i absolutely love the 'sugar sugar dont you cry, oh child wipe the tears from your eyes, you know i need you to be strong, and the day is as dark as the night is long, i feel like trash, you make me feel clean, im in the black, cant see or be seen, baby baby baby light my way' ahhhh *droolz* what great lyrics... (btw guys, turn the lights down and turn this on, sing it to your girl... hehehe youll more than likely enjoy some of the results)

Anyways, sure skeek, bring the rattle and hum DVD, thatd be sweet... MMMMM surround sound...

If you ever go driving around at 4:30 in the morning through empty highways among fog shrouded fields, Love Is Blindness is the best song to play. It just takes on a whole new (or, if not new, stronger) feeling.

------------------
"...and a thousand slimy things did crawl upon the slimy sea..."

in my opinion Acrobat is a very angry song and is one of my favorites. i forget where i read it but Bono said Acrobat is his favorite on Actung Baby.

------------------
"Emancipate urself from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds" -Bob Marley "Redemption Song"

I like So Cruel better than Acrobat too. But Acrobat deserves recognition as the U2 song that probably destroys me more than any other. The music sounds so frustrated. And the lyrics are quite brilliant (probably like them better than the music) but so tortured. I would probably feel suicidal if I listened to that song too many times.

------------------
The city walls are all pulled down
The dust a smokescreen all around
See faces ploughed like fields that once gave no resistance

Every song on AB contains greatness and genius BUT nothing compares to "so cruel" or "Love is blindness". These two are sooo heavy, I feel like dying when I?m listening to them.

------------------
beLIEve

I'd have to say Ultraviolet. That song always captures my attention no matters how many listens. For me, it's the ambience and Bono's voice at the beginning. I love how the main riff explodes the song. Whenever I hear the opening of that riff, I feel a wave of positive nostalgia where I think of anyone that I've ever become close with.

The lyrics
"When I was all messed up
And I had opera in my head
Your love was a light bulb
Hanging over my bed
Baby, baby, baby...light my way"
always were those nails on a chalkboard. My $.02 is that even when life is lonely, it goes on, and the planet will still spin. Kinda like acknowledging the negative aspects, but accepting the situation.

Originally posted by Discoteque:
My chalkboard song has gotta be either Sweetest Thing or Wild Honey (sorry Mona)...they both make the hair on the back of my neck stand up...<<shudder>>

frown.gif

I agree with you on "Wild Honey" I can't listen to it... ack! (yeah sorry Mona
smile.gif
)

The other one is "Unforgetable Fire" ACK! I don't like this song! :X ( I know many of you do, sorry)

I love Acrobat and OMG, "SO Cruel" wow, one of my favs!
wink.gif

------------------

Everyone argues, then we do what I say. -Bono, 1987

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by ishkash:
Oh I thought this was another MIAMI appreciation thread

It was a dumb, stupid metaphor to use
biggrin.gif
It makes it sound like I hate the song, whereas it just rips me up emotionally--but I think it's a good song. It's a silly metaphor anyway
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

Jeez....decisions. I LOVE LOVE LOVE UV - probably my #2 favorite u2 song. Love is blindness is the only song that has "literally" given me the chills. It still does everytime. Acrobat has a similar effect. Look at it this way, tracks 10-12 on AB have the entire effect if that makes any sense. If not, blame the vodka.

------------------
It's no secret that the stars, are falling from the sky...
-Kathleen-

"I'm a big nsync fan, but then again, I eat my own crap...." - Triumph

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Totally agree!! have you heard the full band live version from the lovetown tour complete with horns?

Skeek, I have one version from Dublin 1993, and one from Dec. 2000. Is this ANOTHER version? If so, how can I get my hands on it????

Thanks!

yup. it's in dublin at the end of the lovetown version... i don't remember where I downloaded it from.. if you had icq i could send it to you.. ther than that I'm not sure.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
yup. it's in dublin at the end of the lovetown version... i don't remember where I downloaded it from.. if you had icq i could send it to you.. ther than that I'm not sure.

Hey! Thanks! I do have ICQ, and I just sent you a message! :)

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
It was a dumb, stupid metaphor to use
biggrin.gif
It makes it sound like I hate the song, whereas it just rips me up emotionally--but I think it's a good song. It's a silly metaphor anyway
biggrin.gif

Oh, not everyone here has a right to be dumb and considered as humorous.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
THNIK

Back
Top Bottom