If The Joshua Tree was given Sgt Pepper type tribute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using major acts:

Streets - Smashing Pumpkins
ISHFWILF - Bruce
WOWY - REM
Bullet - Depeche Mode
RTSS - If Layne Staley were still alive... Otherwise NIN
Red Hill - Chris Cornell (would be amazing on WOWY too)
In God's Country - The Killers
Trip - Oasis
One Tree Hill - Coldplay (what the hell; I'll throw them out there)
Exit - Foo Fighters
Mothers - Snow Patrol

Green Day & Pearl Jam would probably be lining up to get on this; but I'd rather they stay far far away.

if it's in 20 years, the bands will probably be from... well... 20 years in the future

"marty, your kids are in danger!" :wink:

Snowlock said:
Using major acts:

Streets - Smashing Pumpkins
ISHFWILF - Bruce
WOWY - REM
Bullet - Depeche Mode
RTSS - If Layne Staley were still alive... Otherwise NIN
Red Hill - Chris Cornell (would be amazing on WOWY too)
In God's Country - The Killers
Trip - Oasis
One Tree Hill - Coldplay (what the hell; I'll throw them out there)
Exit - Foo Fighters
Mothers - Snow Patrol

Green Day & Pearl Jam would probably be lining up to get on this; but I'd rather they stay far far away.

I gotta echo the Pumpkins sentiments, and I love them.

How about Coldplay do every song? It won't be that much different, just a little watered down.

Earnie Shavers said:

Pete Murray: :down: :down: :down: This great suburban middle age dinner party troubadour would simply make Running to Stand Still sound like, well, a Pete Murray song. No good can come from that.

:up: I would like to see him do Exit :lol:

He would take an incredibly energetic and awesome and exciting song and turn it into the most boring thing...

I also think the only ones who could do Streets justice would be the Pet Shop Boys.

WOWY REM shudder at stype vocals on that ..... i would rather cut off my ears and eat them ...

only one that would be remotely ok is patti smith doing exit..
but resoundlingly its still a big no for anyone covering U2 i cant handle it .... back to the padded cell ... :reject:

Earnie Shavers said:
I know this forum has all but individualy combusted into spasms of bubbles over Arcade Fire, so I hate to mention them yet again, but they could do a pretty cool version of Streets. Think about something like the last third of No Cars Go. And the organ.

As for other suggestions:
Keane :down: :down: To be fair, I haven't heard their version, but I can't imagine why With or Without You would need the elevator music touch.
Pete Murray: :down: :down: :down: This great suburban middle age dinner party troubadour would simply make Running to Stand Still sound like, well, a Pete Murray song. No good can come from that.
Don't say that about Pete... especially since I play golf with the man. :sad:

Nah, no bullshit, I really do think he'd do an awesome version of RTSS. I guess it depends on whether you find him boring, or awesome, like I do.

I like your Arcade Fire suggestion, though.

Ok if I could choose anyone alive or dead...here is what I would currently request each artist to play....

Streets - Arcade Fire
Still Haven't Found - Stereophonics
With or Without You - The Doors
Bullet - Jimi Hendrix
Running - Blind Melon
Red Hill - Shane MacGowan & The Popes
Gods Country - Janes Addiction
Trip - John Lennon
One Tree Hill - Suzanne Vega
Exit - Secret Machines
Mothers - Radiohead

FitzChivalry said:

:no: :no: :no:

That voice would ruin one of my top 2 songs of ALL TIME! Billy singing "Streets", for the love of all that is good and pure . . . :no:

No, it wouldn't ruin the song; it would just be a rendition you didn't care for. :shrug:

Personally, I'm trying to think of another big sound band that could do it and can't come up with one, at least one that could do a unique arrangement but stay true to the song at the same time.

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's simple logic. Unless you already have some sort of intense hatred for Keane, then that's cool, don't listen to it. But if you're on the fence, I think you still gotta give that With or Without You cover a chance.

thanks for sticking up for my choice. Honestly, it isn't as Keane-y as you would expect. Much more subdued and you lose the theatrics that Bono gives the song sometimes.

But if you have Coldplay do One Tree Hill, I'm going to cry. You need to have soul to sing that song properly. Coldplay will turn it into a light-bulb commercial.

Snowlock said:

No, it wouldn't ruin the song; it would just be a rendition you didn't care for. :shrug:

His singing would ruin the cover version song for me, which otherwise, covered by another artist, may have been a cover version I would have enjoyed, e.g., Pet Shop Boys cover of "Streets".

By this point, almost nothing could ever ruin the original Joshua Tree version of "Streets" for me.

FitzChivalry said:

His singing would ruin the cover version song for me, which otherwise, covered by another artist, may have been a cover version I would have enjoyed, e.g., Pet Shop Boys cover of "Streets".

By this point, almost nothing could ever ruin the original Joshua Tree version of "Streets" for me.

Well know that I know which version you do enjoy I would have to whole heartedly hope for Smashing Pumpkins instead.

Back
Top Bottom