If Larry left U2 and started his own completely new band...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, comparing a band that came out of punk to schooled musicians is a little unfair. They aren't technically "proficient" musicians. But that was part of the point, wasn't it? Listening to Dream Theater would probably bore them to tears or send them into laughing fits.

I was just listening to "Wreckingball" the other day and was reminded that Larry could be a damn fine session musician. He couldn't play that complex prog stuff, but he certainly can color a track with expressive touches and understated parts. Sometimes less is more.

And I'm also here to defend Adam, who, as you remember, did take formal lessons in NYC in the late 90's. Again, he's no virtuoso, but he has improved tremendously in the last decade - his tone, his feel, his creativity - everything.
He was a pretty shoddy bass player back in the day.

larry was actually one of the members who knew what he was doing.
they all bring something to the band
edge with his creativity
bono with his amazing lyrics
adam has his own bass style
and larry has good technique

Hmm...I have a suspicion Larry is a closet metalhead. Or at least likes his rock with a harder sound.

There was an online radio station that featured songs by U2, and songs picked by members of U2. Larry had Andrew W.K. a couple times. The Hives. He's a Led Zeppelin fan.

As long as Brian Eno isn't around...I hear he doesn't care for heavy rock.

Edge doesn't like heavy metal that much either...but if Larry was the musical leader...:rockon: My theory anyway.

makes me laugh how people come on here, totally slag of the band and some of it's members, but yet went to see them live less than a year ago and called it the best show ever

how strange

U2girl said:
He may not be flashy, but his sound works for the band. Kind of like Adam, who is the luckiest guy in the band if technical ability and talent are concerned.

You know this for a fact? I'd say the only person who knows what Adam can and can't do with a bass is Adam himself. Just because he doesn't show off a more technical style of playing, doesn't mean he can't play that way. I've heard Flea play bass parts that were described as "Clayton-esque" does that mean Flea is a lazy bassist for the less is more approach? No, just means he chose to play that way for that song...if it works, go for it. Do those who go to concerts, or listen to the albums, listen for complicated bass parts? Only the bass players and the fans of the bass player would care what the bass player is doing.

///

"Adam Clayton came into my life in the mid-nineties. He was taking lessons from Katie Agresta, (a famous vocal teacher whom I have the pleasure to work with, she’s one of my very best friends) and she told him about me. Adam came upstairs and “interviewed” me to see what I could teach him. He decided to give it a shot. We ended up working together for about two years, I think. He’s an excellent bassist and a wonderful human being. He’d master the hardest lessons in the course of a week. He is incredibly focused and determined. One time there was a monsoon-like thunderstorm in New York right around his lesson time. I thought for sure he’d call and tell me “Look, this weather is ridiculous; let’s reschedule.” Instead, the doorbell rings at his lesson time, and he stands there, drenched to the bone, I’m talking soaked, and all he says is (in his Irish accent): “Couldn’t get a cab, didn’t want to miss my lesson…can I hang my shirt somewhere?” Man, that floored me, and I realized why some people (like him) “make it.” They simply let nothing come between them and what they’re determined to do. That was a great lesson for me! --Patrick Pfeiffer, author of In Search of the Groove and Bass Guitar for Dummies.

"I don't use the word "brilliant" lightly, but Adam was a brilliant student. I'd give him a monster exercise one week, and he'd have it perfectly the next. It was a pleasure to see how far I could push him. I never did find his limit."

///

I don't know what exactly constitutues a 'monster exercise' on a bass to other people, but from someone who cites Jaco Pastorius as an influence, and has a masters in Jazz, I don't think they're exercises a shoddy bassist would have down in a week.

I've read comments from plenty of bassists who say Adam plays to the songs, his playing serves the song. If you isolate the bass, and can still "hear" the song, that's a good bass player, so I'm told.

As songwriter, a musician, I would think that's the most important thing, the song, the music, not how technical you are.

///

A flashy bassist would probably muddle the sound of U2. Edge wouldn't sound the way he does if Adam and Larry didn't play the way they do. Edge says that. If Adam and Larry were flashy, would would Edge do...pull an Eddie Van Halen and play even flashier...it'd probably be a disaster. They're less is more approach, allows Edge the ability to concentrate on how the song sounds. Adam and Larry are the canvas/foundation for Bono and Edge to create upon, if you don't have a sturdy foundation, things fall apart.

Last edited:
Excellent post, thrillme :up:

There's no question that Adam can play bass, and play it well. Some of my favourite U2 songs are the ones with the most interesting basslines.
When I first started getting into U2, and first started appreciating music for what it is, I had to teach myself to actually hear the bassline (not just in U2 songs, but in all songs), because in a lot of songs by other artists, the bassline is almost inperceptible, and I was such a music-novice, that even when I did hear it, I didn't recognize it. But once I learned to hear the bass, I tended to focus on it, and learned that Adam does have some very interesting basslines. He may not be as flashy as some other bassists, but he certainly could if he wanted to.
It's also worth pointing out that Adam's bass lessons in the 90s did pay off. Adam shines the most on Pop.

They'd play at the Ramada Inn off of Exit 56 right before the World's Biggest Ball of Yarn. You can't miss it.

COBL_04 said:

:tsk:

I just don't really get how you can still be a fan if you so passionately hate a member of the band?

And I hate to bring out the cliches... 'better than the sum of its parts' and all that crap but its so true.

I reckon Larry's fantastic :shrug: I'd buy an album

This post really doesn't make much sense.

1) He never said the whole isn't better than the sum of its parts. In fact, that's probably the only explanation for why he is a fan.

2) He said "the past two decades." Axver has always stated that his post-R&H drumming is what he dislikes.

3) He doesn't hate Larry, just thinks he's made no contributions since 1987.

4) It's not smart to make statements about what makes a fan. We had a discussion thread a few months back on this subject. If I recall, there were some angry words over the people that were trying to make rules over what qualifies a fan, and that blindly worshipping the band isn't the only way.

Wow, an in-depth discussion involving both Larry Mullen Jr and progressive rock. That's like, 2x the tedium :drool:

Axver said:

Oh wow, this is easy, especially considering that Larry is one of the least talented drummers out there by any objective measure.

So here's some that blow him out of the water.

Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg oif Mayhem, Arcturus, Age Of Silence, Antestor, and what seems like every second black metal band in history. Even just the text of his nickname has more drumming talent than Larry. Hellhammer owns the drums.

Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree, plus his predecessor, Chris Maitland. Harrison has technical skill oozing out of his ears and a great sense of how to use it to complement the music rather than dominate it. In contrast, Maitland had a gorgeous organic style.

Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, Transatlantic, OSI, Liquid Tension Experiment, etc. Regardless of what you may think of prog, the man sure can drum.

Neal Peart of Rush. Do I even need to say anything? This guy owns.

Dan Swanö of about 20,000 different bands. Prolific as hell and can play almost anything on almost any instrument under the sun.

Sean Reinert of Gordian Knot, Aghora, and especially Cynic. He was a crucial part of Cynic's groundbreaking Focus album (though Sean Malone's unparalleled bass genius is what really made the rhythm section legendary in my opinion).

Do I need to go on? I've got more. Martin Lopez (ex-Opeth), Andrew Courtney (ex-Pure Reason Revolution), Paul Hester (ex-Crowded House) ... the list is seemingly endless.

You forgot John Bonham and Keith Moon! :rockon:

As for the original question, I have no idea. If you'd asked me this in 1983, I would have said a resounding yes! Actually I would have still said "no idea" since I'd have had no idea who they were in 1983.

Zootlesque said:

You forgot John Bonham and Keith Moon! :rockon:

As for the original question, I have no idea. If you'd asked me this in 1983, I would have said a resounding yes! Actually I would have still said "no idea" since I'd have had no idea who they were in 1983.

Keith Moon is the best drummer in a popular rock band ever. Who else played with the guitar/vocals instead of the rhythm section?

Listen to A Quick One, While He's Away right now, it's some of the best drumming this side of Non-Progville.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Keith Moon is the best drummer in a popular rock band ever. Who else played with the guitar/vocals instead of the rhythm section?

Listen to A Quick One, While He's Away right now, it's some of the best drumming this side of Non-Progville.

Do me a favor and tell that to LemonMelon.

:shifty:

I will try to fix him.

chris015.jpg

Thank you.

BTW I can't look at that picture without giggling like a little girl.

How on Earth did that wanker score Gwyneth Paltrow?

All I know is that they will have the whitest children ever.

Back on topic, Larry would really be a good studio musician.

i agree larry hasnt does much since the rattle and hum tour but he started the band and is quite talented.

and whoever said he's the most musicially talented i think edge is.

edge can play guitar, piano, bass and drums he could go solo i he had to. hes got an amazing voice as well

thrillme said:

You know this for a fact? I'd say the only person who knows what Adam can and can't do with a bass is Adam himself.

Adam didn't took any musical training (until after Zooropa). Larry had musical training, and did additional training after Zooropa (I disagree with the "he hasn't done nothing since 1988" shtick: look at Miami, Please, COBL, Acrobat - gasp! a not 4/4 time - , Mofo - considered the highlight of his career by the man himself, UTEOTW, Zooropa) . Edge took guitar lessons early on.

So that would pont to him being less technically able IMO. And we've heard plenty of times how easy his bass lines are. But as was stated before, his lines - and Larry's drumming - work for the band. U2 was never a bunch of virtuosos.

I think it's interesting how a rock band rhythm section can come up wtih something like IALW or LAPOE or Fast cars or MW or Playboy Mansion groove. They should be credited for being flexible enough in the 90's to introduce more grooves in U2.

kingofsorrow said:
i'm sorry but after the performance of WOWY on rattle & hum, he can never top that.

Lets be honest not many drummers can aspire to that.

Honestly, I don't think Larry would bother starting another band. This one took up far too much of his time. He'll just spend his days going into the room in his mansion where he keeps the stacks of Euros.

Adam shines the most on Pop.

Definately. His bass carries the middle third of the album, with a few others at the first(DYFL) and last(Please).

But Gone, SATS, and LNOE bass is :drool:

Back
Top Bottom