If it weren't for "Where The Streets Have No Name" ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
theu2fly said:
U2 wouldn't be doing stadium shows...

Agree / disagree?

U2 was already popular enough to play stadiums in many cities before the release of Joshua Tree. They headlined several stadium shows across Europe in the summer of 1985 and of course they played Croke Park for the first time in Dublin in the summer of 1985. They also soldout Milton Keynes in the summer of 1985 in southern England that has a capacity of 50,000. They probably could have soldout Wembley Stadium (72,000) in the summer of 1985 if they had played it instead of Milton Keynes.

I'm sorry but how did u come up with this ?

Before even Unforgettable fire , U2 had already already several great stadium anthems , not counting the power itself of rocking an stadium ........

TO say they depend on 1 song , even though one of their best , anyway rely on 1 piece of music to do a show it's like ........

Re: Re: If it weren't for "Where The Streets Have No Name" ...

STING2 said:

U2 was already popular enough to play stadiums in many cities before the release of Joshua Tree. They headlined several stadium shows across Europe in the summer of 1985 and of course they played Croke Park for the first time in Dublin in the summer of 1985. They also soldout Milton Keynes in the summer of 1985 in southern England that has a capacity of 50,000. They probably could have soldout Wembley Stadium (72,000) in the summer of 1985 if they had played it instead of Milton Keynes.

Plus, when U2 started to play stadiums on the JT Tour, it was before Streets became a single and acquired anything close to the reputation it has now. The first JT stadium show was booked before Streets was even played live!

So I totally disagree with the original post too.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Streets didn't become an icon until the ZooTV tour. If Streets hadn't picked up at that point, do you think U2 would've made that tour any smaller? Of course not.

Exactly , around the JT tour , it was the opener , and I always saw it down as being the opener , it was like u use early a secret weapon , anyway many times people don't give the heart so much for the 1st , as the ones from the encore or the middle of the main set ........ Said that

I would say that probably the biggest highlights of the JT show were the classics , Pride , Bad , Sunday , NYD , WOWY and ......... even 40

How about this: If it weren't for WTSHNN...

The Joshua Tree would still be U2's best album, by far. :)

CTU2fan said:
How about this: If it weren't for WTSHNN...

The Joshua Tree would still be U2's best album, by far. :)

MMmm don't think so , thought the album version is not my fav but still that Intro ...........

I've seen U2 every tour since 1983 and strrets is not my favourite (live) song but thay were gonna make it no matter what. RTSS > AIWIY would be just as good.

If anything sunday bloody sunday helped u2 a lot more than streets ever did.

I think a better question is:

If there were no WTSHNN, what would be U2's signature song? Would they have a song during which "God walks through the room?"

Utoo said:
I think a better question is:

If there were no WTSHNN, what would be U2's signature song? Would they have a song during which "God walks through the room?"

Bad could have possibly fit that role. It's behind Streets for best live song, IMO.

They have so many great stadium songs. Hearing 60.000 people screaming EL-E-VA-TION is mindblowing, just as they perform SBS, Bullet, Pride, Mysterious Ways etc.

However, Streets remains my all-time live favourite. That's my "Jesus walks into the room"-moment... So, I've seen Jesus twice :wink:

bono_man2002 said:
Disagree

If it werent for Drowning Man, U2 definitley wouldnt be doing stadiums.

I think False Prophet has a whole lot more to do with it than Drowning Man. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom