If HTDAAB had been u2s debut....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
As i was saying, just curious to know, hypothetically speaking, had u2 been a new band and HTTAAB had been their debut album in Nov 2004............what impact do you think it would have made on the music scene?
I cant help but think...........very little!

Am now off to get the padded suit on and prepare for a beating....but feel to add yer thoughts

I may have liked a few tracks on it but it wouldn't have made me go crazy for them. I wasn't old enough when Boy came out (I was 5) so I can't compare, but I'm sure I would have preferred Boy. When I became a fan TUF was already huge and the songs off that converted me. If HTDAAB was out instead there is no way it would have got me going the way TUF did.

SAme here. I got into u2 based on one thing (bearing in mind I was 11 so lyrics etc meant EFF ALL to me) . That one thing was the sound edge was getting from his guitar. It was unlike anything ad ever noticed before. I think its on record here somewhere that I think edge has lost that individual sound and could almost be any guitarist on last 2 albums. So I dont think Bomb would have made such an impact on me.

gman said:
I think its on record here somewhere that I think edge has lost that individual sound and could almost be any guitarist on last 2 albums.

So the "ATYCLB and HTDAAB are U2-by-numbers" argument doesn't quite hold, eh? :hmm: (not that I'm saying you've personally made that argument)

I don't think it would have made an enormous impact. But I also think that today's successful debut albums are garnering far more attention than they deserve. Boy brought some small fame to the band, but the album was coupled with an intense will to get themselves out there, play a ton of shows, hook up with radio stations, etc. The band didn't really take off until War. That's more of a natural progression to "impact." Nowadays, bands like The Killers and Arctic Monkeys become arena bands with only one album---a huge mistake, if you ask me.

gman said:
I think its on record here somewhere that I think edge has lost that individual sound and could almost be any guitarist on last 2 albums.

The key words regarding what i sed about the edges sound are "I think". That implies nothing more than it being my opinion. The only thing i am going by is what I hear with my own ears and it is a finely tuned, reasonably educated pair of ears at that.

Well it depends. If this was their debut than the landscape of radio and MTV would be quite different right now. So the whole typical U2 sound wouldn't be so typical.

So it may or may not have sounded really fresh, it's kind of a difficult hypothetical question. You can also ask, what if Boy had been released in 85 instead of 80, would it have made the impact it did?

Thats the point Bonovox...........its not as simple as a yes or no answer. There are a lot of vairiables to consider. As you say, the typical u2 sound wouldnt be familiar. So how would it have faired against what is around today? I think there are better "debut" albums around than that of the hypothetical "debut" offering of HTDAAB.
That sed, I love the REAL debut from oooooohhh two and always have.

Without 24 years of U2, I don't think Bomb could've have been made. It's foundation is predicated on the history of U2. Let's try to remember that Bomb is coming from the perspective of men in their mid 40's.

Vertigo is such a Radio friendly kind of tune it still would of been a success if U2 were new to the charts.

They'd not be given a second chance.... HTDAAB, besides a few songs like COBL, LAPOE and ABOY, sucketh, in my opinion.

I think, as a debut record, HTDAAB would have been received like a Killers album - general nodding and some solid reviews from the usual press (Rolling Stone, et al).

People would have cited The Bravery, The Killers, and Johnny Buckland as guitar influences :lol:

Cool post. Personally, I would gone bananas over the album if it was U2's first. "Sometimes", "Vertigo," "City," "Miracle Drug" and "Original of the Species" are all great, great U2 songs.

I think that regarding the number of new, young fans...... I could have been 1 of them if it was U2, s debut...... I think it would be a great debut's album...... of course Boy is better..... but come on, Boy is a masterpiece!

When I listen to each U2 album, I judge it as if I never heard U2. That's just inherent in me.

I give JT some trash-talking here because while the three big hits are great, way too much of the album sounds the same. And the few token songs that don't blend, I don't like (such as "Bullet" and "Trip" - hate the album version of "Bullet"). Still, the singles on JT would have kept me interested, just as the singles on UF, AB, ATYCLB or especially "War", which was when I discovered U2, did.

When it comes to HTDAAB, I feel the same. I would have really liked the singles released. I did when the album came out and I think it would have been enough to keep me interested. Would I like everything? No. But I don't think I've ever liked every song on an album by any artist.

In other words, I would have liked the album from this "new artist" and it would have me interested in their next release. Given my age, I might not be waiting with baited breath (I rarely am for any artist these days), but I certainly would have kept my ears open.

Had U2 even been signed at all, Vertigo would've made the band a one-hit wonder, one other song (say, COBL or LAPOE) would've been raved about by those "in the know" but it would've failed on the charts, and HTDAAB would've had a big opening week and then vanished into oblivion. U2 would've made a second album forgotten almost before its release, then been dropped by their record company and they would've quietly faded into oblivion.

20 years later, they would've reformed for a nostalgia tour, released a new album and single that did moderately well, and played to crowds trying to recapture their teenage years. These crowds would've been bigger than any the band actually played to in their prime.

Well HTDAAB is the first full U2 album I've listened to, I only got into them recently, so yeah, I think it would have been successful if this was U2's debut album.

The songs they released from the album IMO are excellent, no matter what anyone says. :drool: I think SYCMIOYO won me over! :love:

Bottom line, they would have got excellent reviews, especially after releasing Vertigo! :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom