If God Will Send His Angels: Single vs Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can and do appreciate the slow outro of the POP version. That was all we had for a while and I loved it. But the single version as a whole is just so much more full and solid. It has a better build up and climaxes at the right time and the outro is just one of the most sublime U2 moments ever.

So I can appreciate both, but if I was going to introduce someone to the song I would use the single version. And for my money I would chose the Single.

So, after making this thread I decided to try my hand at making a hybrid mix...it's basically the album version until the vocal outro - at which point switches to the single version for the :drool: - inducing 'don't have to know why/don't wanna promise/cause I don't wanna lie/just know that I need you/need you tonight' lines - and then it switches back to the album version for the further-:drool: - inducing extended instrumental outro. Please give it a listen and tell me what you think! If the YSI expires I'll upload it again, or one of you can...

http://s39.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=15HFBUC57JTBO11I3SBVDETZQ9

namkcuR said:
So, after making this thread I decided to try my hand at making a hybrid mix...it's basically the album version until the vocal outro - at which point switches to the single version for the :drool: - inducing 'don't have to know why/don't wanna promise/cause I don't wanna lie/just know that I need you/need you tonight' lines - and then it switches back to the album version for the further-:drool: - inducing extended instrumental outro. Please give it a listen and tell me what you think! If the YSI expires I'll upload it again, or one of you can...

http://s39.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=15HFBUC57JTBO11I3SBVDETZQ9

Wanna have the cake and eat it too, huh? :wink:

It sounds pretty good but mainly because of the album outro! Yeah... I think I still prefer the album version. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Wanna have the cake and eat it too, huh? :wink:

It sounds pretty good but mainly because of the album outro! Yeah... I think I still prefer the album version. :wink:

You really think my mix is good? I'm thinking of burning my own custom Pop - this might go on it. Can you tell where the cuts are? Does it detract from the listening experience?

namkcuR said:

You really think my mix is good? I'm thinking of burning my own custom Pop - this might go on it. Can you tell where the cuts are? Does it detract from the listening experience?

Well, of course... I can totally tell where the cuts are, I thought that was pretty obvious. :reject: :wink: But it does give you a decent idea of how the 2 versions would sound if amalgamated together. :up:

I prefer the album version because the single version doesn't have a few lines at the beginning and I love those lines. Plus I think it's too edited, the album version seems to be more complex and interesting. PLus the album version has those beautiful sounds at the end. I love that. However the extra lines at the end of the single version are awesome and I wish that was on the album version.

And by the way I prefer the album version of Please too. Bono's voice on that version is amazing!! Too bad the solo isn't there though. I don't miss the strings but I do miss that solo...

TheBrazilianFly said:
I prefer the album version because the single version doesn't have a few lines at the beginning and I love those lines. Plus I think it's too edited, the album version seems to be more complex and interesting. PLus the album version has those beautiful sounds at the end. I love that. However the extra lines at the end of the single version are awesome and I wish that was on the album version.

And by the way I prefer the album version of Please too. Bono's voice on that version is amazing!! Too bad the solo isn't there though. I don't miss the strings but I do miss that solo...

Did you listen to my hybrid version that I posted above?

namkcuR said:

Did you listen to my hybrid version that I posted above?

:love: Yes! :love: I always wanted a version like that! Thanks! Too bad the single version fades while Bono is stll singing the falsetto stuff.

Maybe you could add the solo on the single version of Please into the the album version. :whistle:

TheBrazilianFly said:

:love: Yes! :love: I always wanted a version like that! Thanks! Too bad the single version fades while Bono is stll singing the falsetto stuff.

Maybe you could add the solo on the single version of Please into the the album version. :whistle:

Phanan did something like that where the first 2/3 of the song is the album version and the last third is the single version. I can ysi it if you like. But credit for the mix goes to Phanan.

Wow, amazing mix there by phanan! :up:

I know I've raved about the single version before but now that I've listened to it on headphones... I think I prefer the grittier album version just a bit. If only it had that guitar solo in the end, it would be perfect! :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Wow, amazing mix there by phanan! :up:

I know I've raved about the single version before but now that I've listened to it on headphones... I think I prefer the grittier album version just a bit. If only it had that guitar solo in the end, it would be perfect! :drool:

He gets 'amazing mix' and I get 'pretty good'? Hmph. There was a convenient near-two-second pause at the spot where he cut in his mix. There is no such convenient pause in If God. :wink: :wink:

Seriously though, it's a really good mix of Please.

And I think my If God mix is quite good if I do say so myself...

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

He gets 'amazing mix' and I get 'pretty good'? Hmph. There was a convenient near-two-second pause at the spot where he cut in his mix. There is no such convenient pause in If God. :wink: :wink:

Seriously though, it's a really good mix of Please.

And I think my If God mix is quite good if I do say so myself...

I agree your mix was a good sample of how the IGWSHA versions would sound together! But the cuts were very obvious... almost like CD skips, don't you think? :huh: :reject:

Zootlesque said:

I agree your mix was a good sample of how the IGWSHA versions would sound together! But the cuts were very obvious... almost like CD skips, don't you think? :huh: :reject:

The first cut was very obvious - there was an actual second of silence there. The second cut wasn't as obvious, just a tad awkward. I tweaked it to delete that second of silence so the first cut is somewhat less obvious...give it a whirl...

http://s50.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=0KLWDNSQ52RGX33IFNHWAFMBPR

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
Yeah... after listening to it yet again, I still prefer the album version. :shrug: :wink:

Well...the album has those few lines of lyrics that disappear in the single version...and each version has a spectacular yet totally different outro. The only to get it all together without compromise is my mix...I'm weak and I need to have my cake and eat it :wink: I think I'll put it on my custom Pop. If you listen with the objective of hearing the cuts, you hear them no problem, but if I'm just listening to the record I bet a buck I won't notice it. It's not perfect but it's good enough for me. To each his own. That's what makes the world of U2 so great.

I've been fiddling with adding the album version outro to the single version, just for the hell of it. I've tried a couple of different scenarios, but nothing works good enough for me.

Although it's not as big of a deal for me as Please was, because I think the single version of IGWSHA works great on its own.

Back
Top Bottom