If God could hear 5 U2 ssongs........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this question.

Where The Streets Have No Name
A Sort Of Homecoming
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Here's why:

I chose '40' because of its relation to the Psalm and also the ambiguity within the song "I waited patiently for the Lord" and "how long to sing this song" as well as the hopeful, longing message in there as we wait for God, peace, etc. It shows you can ask why but also not give up hope.

Streets: My favorite 'worship' song U2's written. It is such a joyous and spiritual song, with the lights blinding out the band and highlighting the people in the audience who are celebrating. The lyrics are so uplifting and energetic and positive- "I go there with you, it's all I can do" I think this is one God Needs to see live!

A Sort Of Homecoming: Another song that seems to me would strike God. It is not as celebratory as the others because of the slightly mournful feel to it- having to leave and be separated from someone while you ache for them..promising to run to them. It includes a lot of raw human emotion- "just a scream" and "plowed faces" and the need for "build(ing) a bridge". I sort of see it as all the things we have to go through to get to the light in the distance.

MOTD:
It deals with the very real horror many people suffer every day. Just a gorgeous song that I think God could relate to as He has to see this every day, as well, and to hear it you know Bono sympathizes with these people.

HMTMKMKM: On a personal note speaks a lot about Bono's fame and shows his trangressions through his confrontations with it, from JT->Fly->Macphisto. Another song showing they won't give up at 33, and if delved deeply enough it explains their motivations for AB & the music that followed.

ISHF:
Just another staple. Showing God how they're always searchign, looking, will continue to push the gifts they've been given until they get to that "perfect place" They don't take anything for granted & don't want anyone to take them for granted, either.

Can't God hear ALL of them? That's one of those fun things about God...

But, I do like the topic, so here goes:

Walk On
Wake Up Dead Man
The First Time
Big Girls Are Best

Ok, I was kidding about that last one...I think if I were just hanging out in a room with God, I would pop in October, I think that whole album pretty much says it all.

Jessica

Streets:

I've always thought of Streets as talking about heaven or a heavenly place. Where in this world do streets not have names? No where, really. But in heaven, what need do you for street names? Streets is such an uplifting, beautiful song. It's always felt like acension to me.

Grace:

Pretty obvious. I think God would agree with the message that people who have grace help create beautiful things. I think God would promote this.

One:

God's ultimate message. We are one but we are not the same. We need to respect and love each other, it is the only way to find peace.

Walk On:

Well, the song is about having the courage to get up and try again. When something bad happens, you still need to get up the next morning. God would definitly appreciate the ability in humans to walk on from life's difficulties. Oh, and God would of course get the single version of Walk On with all the Alleluias.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For:

This song is about wonderment. A continual look for what is missing in one's life. Be that faith, love, happiness, whatever. I think God would support that search for inner peace.

-Emily :angel:

WTSHNN - I can't imagine a more uplifting song!
Beautiful Day - Second most uplifting song ever. (See above.)
Mysterious Ways - I've always interpreted the "she" in this song as representing God.
One Tree Hill - amazing, can be read like a poem
Elevation - Cuz even God has to rock out once in a while!:cool:

I'm surprised that nobody has selected "Tomorrow" as a song God would most want to hear. To me, "Tomorrow" is one of their most visible, outwardly public songs of their Christian faith. The whole song refers to the "second coming". Surely, a song God would dig. My other 4 selections would be:

-Rejoice
-Walk to the Water
-Peace On Earth
-Streets

This is a great topic and difficult to keep just to 5 songs given the breadth of U2's catalogue and religious overtures. We all know that U2 is God's favorite band so when it comes right down to it there just aren't any wrong answers here! :D

but God, being the nice guy he is, lets the guys have all the royalties.
He's swell

I think God has heard all of their songs. I would just recommend, however,

MLK
One Tree Hill
Mothers of the Disappeared
Bad
Wake Up Dead Man

Bullet the Blue Sky
The Fly
a live version of Dirty Day
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Last Night On Earth

God likes to rock.

That is a good question RickFly!!! my picks are......

"Mother of the disspeared" ( I swear this song is soo emotionally deep to me I can only handle to listen to it 1 to 2 times in a month because I will literally breakdown when Bono sings "hear their tearsssssssss in the rainfall" all high pitch like he feels the weight of their pain!! (which he does in some way)GOD that man can bring me to a place no one ever to even think of reaching!!!

secondly is "Grace" the whole song bleeds truth

3. sunday bloody sunday (it speaks for it's self)

4. "I still have'nt found what I'm looking for" until I found u2!!

5. And lastly "please" I swear Bono is a phorphet of music and world events!!!

peace&love
Rythemwire p.s GOD'S probley jammin to Actung baby
as we speak:yes:

Awesome topic! I am so very sorry though!!! :scream: It's impossible to pick only five!!!:scream: Anyway, here's my list:

Gloria
I Will Follow
Streets
Hawkmoon 269
I Still Haven't Found...(R&H Version)
Even Better Than The Real Thing
The First Time
Dirty Day
Wake Up Dead Man
Beautiful Day
Elevation
When I Look at The World
Grace
Always Forever Now

Last edited:
I'm sure God has his fair share of religious songs, so I'd personally stay away from that theme and play him something else...

I'd play God "Peace on Earth" so he has an idea of what's really going on...

Then I'd play "Bad" - my favourite U2 song, and possibly one of the most atmospheric and emotional songs U2 has ever written.

Then I'd play "Until The End of the World" to give him some music to groove to...

Then perhaps I'd play a song such as "Drowning Man" for some beauty and love...

And perhaps I'd end with "One"... for the message...

Back
Top Bottom