Ideas for a future U2 box set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mofo82

Refugee
I was at best buy the other day and saw the box sets when i came across the Depeche Mode boxed sets. they had six separate collections of songs, different versions and remixes, edits, etc of so many songs. I dont follow Depeche Mode too closely but it mustve been a DM fan's wet dream when that came out. IT got me thinking how many takes and retakes U2 has of their material, since they spend years upon years recording.

So the question remains, what would you like to see in a U2 box set? What formats would be included (45's, maybe mp3's or another way to keep the set inexpensive so more is included ), packaging ideas, photos, live shows (audio and video), lost lyrics, ANYTHING... LEAVE NO ROCK UNTURNED!!! :wink:

Last edited:
one idea i thought was it would be packaged as the suitcase with the heart on top (from atyclb). a few years back, air jordans were sold in a soft aluminum briefcase with the jumpman logo on top.

that's freaky, I was just thinking about posting about this.

Just using all the material that is already out, as well as the new album...

1.All 11 studio albums, both live EPs(UABRS WAIA), and Passengers, all digitally remastered to the best of their ability.

2.4 Discs dedicated to all b-sides and remixes from the 80s, 4 Discs dedicated to all b-sides and remixes from the 90s, and 2 Discs dedicated to all b-sides and remixes from the 00s(as well as Hands and both versions of Electrical Storm) - all tracks on the these compliations will be ordered by the singles on which they originally appeared.

3.1 Disc of previously unreleased material and track rough cuts

4.Completely remastered DVDs of the following: UABRS, The Unforgettable Fire Collection, Rattle And Hum, Achtung Baby Videos, ZooTV Sydney, Numb Single, Popmart Mexico City, Best Of 1980-1990, Classic Albums Joshua Tree, Elevation Boston, Elevation Slane, Best Of 1990-2000, a theoretical DVD from the upcoming tour, and a brand new DVD featuring any video from U2's career that wasn't on one of the previously mentioned DVDs, as well as some of U2's defining live performances that aren't on the previous DVDs, such as the complete Live Aid performance of Bad and Sunday Bloody Sunday, and the War Child concert with Pavorrati, and also, finally, a DVD of a fully re-mastered, and a fully historically updated version of VH1 Legends U2. Also, the concert DVDs could hybrid DVD-CDS that will play as DVDs but also in CD players as audio CDs.

5.A 200-page color, leather-bound booklet, featuring within it the original booklets that came with each studio record, as well as a 50 page band retrospective, with comments from each band member on each album and tour, as well as specific tracks and performances.

All together that's 25 CDs, 15 DVDs, and a beautiful 200 page book. It could be titled "U2: The Unforgettable Collection", be sold in a case in the shape of a trabaant car like the ones from ZooTV, and could sell retail for between $150 and $200.

That's my dream.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
that's freaky, I was just thinking about posting about this.

Just using all the material that is already out, as well as the new album...

1.All 11 studio albums, both live EPs(UABRS WAIA), and Passengers, all digitally remastered to the best of their ability.

2.4 Discs dedicated to all b-sides and remixes from the 80s, 4 Discs dedicated to all b-sides and remixes from the 90s, and 2 Discs dedicated to all b-sides and remixes from the 00s(as well as Hands and both versions of Electrical Storm) - all tracks on the these compliations will be ordered by the singles on which they originally appeared.

3.1 Disc of previously unreleased material and track rough cuts

4.Completely remastered DVDs of the following: UABRS, The Unforgettable Fire Collection, Rattle And Hum, Achtung Baby Videos, ZooTV Sydney, Numb Single, Popmart Mexico City, Best Of 1980-1990, Classic Albums Joshua Tree, Elevation Boston, Elevation Slane, Best Of 1990-2000, a theoretical DVD from the upcoming tour, and a brand new DVD featuring any video from U2's career that wasn't on one of the previously mentioned DVDs, as well as some of U2's defining live performances that aren't on the previous DVDs, such as the complete Live Aid performance of Bad and Sunday Bloody Sunday, and the War Child concert with Pavorrati, and also, finally, a DVD of a fully re-mastered, and a fully historically updated version of VH1 Legends U2. Also, the concert DVDs could hybrid DVD-CDS that will play as DVDs but also in CD players as audio CDs.

5.A 200-page color, leather-bound booklet, featuring within it the original booklets that came with each studio record, as well as a 50 page band retrospective, with comments from each band member on each album and tour, as well as specific tracks and performances.

All together that's 25 CDs, 15 DVDs, and a beautiful 200 page book. It could be titled "U2: The Unforgettable Collection", be sold in a case in the shape of a trabaant car like the ones from ZooTV, and could sell retail for between $150 and $200.

That's my dream.

If only all dreams were that good, it wuld b be even better (than the real thing :wink: a thank you) if it was free:laugh:

namkcuR, that was beautiful :wink: I would like to see footage of the recording sessions for all of the albums, sorta like the Classic Albums Joshua Tree DVD. I would love to see bono in the process of writing songs, see adam and larry working with each other early in an album, ACTUALLY see a song come together. how drum patterns and bass get changed to fit lyrics or how lyrics are changed and improvised by bono to fit a really sweet groove that cant be touched cus its that good. im not a musician and of all bands id love to see u2 in the creative process for AT LEAST ONE SONG, and it should make it in a box release.

There is so much they could do...I think one good idea would be acoustic demo versions of each album! yeah like that would happen ;) but I do like the idea of a definitive b-sides (all eras) disc in there though..Oh yeah, if theres anything left from the Achtung Baby vaults I'd like to hear those as well.. :D

Oh, oher things:

1) All eras singles cd

2) Extensive notes on album recording:yes:

3) 2 or 3 discs of unreleased demos/tunes (they recorded 100 songs alone for ATYCLB I think?)

4) Alternative songs versions

I would certainly buy something like this..hope they continue for a while longer though..;)

Last edited:
From November, the Cure are releasing all their back catalogue as double albums - the original album remastered plus all the b-sides, demos, rarities and alternate takes on a bonus disk.

I'd LOVE U2 to that !!!

I recall reading an article in 1986 that talked about the recording of songs like "Womanfish", "Poison Glen" and a couple of others that never got released. Surely that's the sort of stuff most fans want.

In the Unforgettable Fire documentary, Bono is singing in the castle ballroom. I want that song !!

And stuff like "Be There", the "avante garde" mix of Two Hearts, CD quality copies of "Another Day", "Touch" and the tracks from U2:3. Plus the 1988 Sun Studios recordings that never got released. :drool:

Last edited:
wow, this is a great question. after HTDAAB, comes out i am going to make my my own personal u2 boxset.

but if u2 were to come out with one id love it if they would bring out different volumes. boxset vol1, volume 2 etc...

id love to get a lot of there albums remasterd for better sound quality.

unreleased, bsides, im not that much into remixes, also they should release some unreleased concerts on dvd and cd from the begining up till the atomic bomb tour.

i was thinking maybe two definitive concerts from each tour would be a nice addition. the early legs of zootv were so different from the later zooropa shows that you'd miss alot of differnt material and a whole different vibe. also, unedited dvds of the live shows like boston where all the songs make the cut (i think mysterious ways was left off)

I'd like to see the filming of the video for 'where the streets have no name' i cant imagine all that was going on that day leading up to the shoot and what else happened thats not on the video.

footage of U2 recording with johnny cash (the wanderer), willie nelson (slow dancing) would be cool

ill have more ideas coming :wink:

Sleep Over Jack said:
Another thing that would be cool is a 30 minute megamix like Ronald's!:drool:

Yeah that would be great :wink:

No seriously a CDsingle only box the first tracks on the CDs will be the ones original realesed. filled up with remixes, demo versions, ect. ect. Like DM did.

Ronald

How about a "finished" version of POP thrown in? :wink:

Seriously, I'd like to see AB and/or Zooropa in 5.1 Dolby Digital :wink:

yeay first proper post
all this stuff sounds great. i think i would also include interviews with the producers of the album on thier take of the albums. how about an expanded version of the history mix from the 1990-2000 dvd but include the 80's as well

oh yeah don't forget to put it all in a mirrorball lemon :wink:

welcome burns :wink: ron, the remix was awesome and would be great if something like that was included in the box set idea. with this whole itunes thing taking off, itd be nice if you gain access to a catalog of live shows that have never been released. i'm remembering about a year ago when it was rumored u2 was goin to team up with apple to possibly release a whole live acrhive, so sense it would be too expensive (and risky) to package so much material, i say throw include a pass in the box idea for i tunes and let us go nuts in there :wink: they could promote the hell out of it if itunes is involved.

Last edited:
1) studio outtakes
2) rarities -- i want official releases of "11 O'Clock, Tick Tock" and "A Celebration", etc !!!!
3) B-sides -- for goodness sakes, the "Best Of" b-sides didn't even include "Holy Joe" "Two Shots.." "Slow Dancing" "I'm not your baby", etc. (the whole Best Of '90s was botched)
4) concert performances -- highlight performances (POPMart Sarajevo, for example)

Box set would be awesome but I don't think we really need it because we have all the songs.

seriously tho. it would be great to see all the different factors that made this band (i don't use this term lightly) one of the greatest bands ever. it would also be great for people who have gotten into this band recently. if you consider namkcuR's estimate of $150-$200 it would save someone alot of money if you take into account ALL of the bands albums, singles, DVD's/videos, as well as some literature about the band

All I really want is a collection of alternate takes/versions that haven't been heard before. But I want original stuff drom the studio, not remixes by other people.

I would very much like to hear Down all the Days (Early version of Numb) and another version of Stay, as Edge has talked about how many different mixes of that tune they worked up.

I reckon U2 should do what Pearl Jam did and release a limited number (say 500 copies each around the world) of every concert they've performed at since Boy.

Oh and some DVDs as well for those really spectacular concerts e.g. Zoo TV DC and Dublin, POPMART in Santiago etc.

That would be my dream... and also my bank account's nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom