Idea for a new U2 recording and touring approach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
done!

you should be getting a link to download 2 mp3s from the 10-29-05 show... if you like them i think i can dig up some more from that show, just let me know.

cheers!

if you have the full show, that'll be great.

Also, do you know if the full milan soundboard gig exists ?

Habib said:
if you have the full show, that'll be great.

Also, do you know if the full milan soundboard gig exists ?

hmmm, don't know about Milan, i'm not a bootleg junkie but I have heard alot about that one it seems, ... someone sent me some show mp3s through u2.com a year and a half or so ago, let me go check for that whole (Dallas Vertigo) show...

edit:

...en route, Habib :wink:

Last edited:
On a completely unrelated note,,,well it is sort of related

I have been taking drumming lessons once a week since June, and am enjoying it immensely. I have mastered Vertigo, my flems are particularly impressive IMO, and have cracked THE FLY, with its funky grooves, even earning a comparison to mani from the stone roses, for my unorthodox style.

However UTEOW is proving a bitch to master,,Larry was right,,it is all about the drums.....

ZOOTVTOURist said:
For the touring concept, I do hope U2 follow the path of 2001 & 2005/06: Live music has to be more important than choreography or stage spectacle aspects. The tracks and their performance should not be overshadowed by the frame given. That's because otherwise U2 would be stuck in too static, always repeating setlists with a long time needed to break out of the routine and insert other aspects.
Just because it worked in 1992/93 was the fault of genius albums like 'Achtung Baby' & 'Zooropa' mixed with an equally genius tour concept leaving in the main sets, but also on the B-stage the option (later appreciated and much used by U2!) to vary the setlists and make great music, too. In 1997/98 the album was also fine, but not rehearsed enough plus the stage concept had genius aspects, but it lacked coherency and was steps too much regarding 'spontaneity' (which is mostly planned by U2 before, too).
The best idea was to have an album with fine tunes, they are really proud to play. That's, what will make the tour interesting for me in the 1st way, it will be interesting for other old-time fans and also the newbies.
Then I do hope that the band will not only lean with the remaining 12-15 tunes on 'U2 18' aka the 'Greatest Hits' aka 'Best Of'. Much better would be from the band themselves to chose a bunch of songs from this point of view, that are seperated in two groups: a) 'Greatest Hits' that really have to played and b) 'Greatest Hits' that will be played and will be exchanged from time to time.
Everybody here in the forum has other ideas, what songs that would be like (that's why I vote for the artists themselves to pick ...), but I'd say "One" and "Where The Streets Have No Name" are two tracks, that are the classic centre core to be played (as bored some of you might be with this). Unfortunately (because I don't like it that much), I see "Beautiful Day" in the same category, now – a kind of hymn for the 'rediscovered U2'. Then I'd bet on "Vertigo" to be there, too – at least for the next tour – because it is the key track of the last tour.
a) 'Greatest Hits', that have to be played every night:
- "Where The Streets Have No Name"
- "One"
- "Beautiful Day"
- "Vertigo"

b) "Greatest Hits" to be played and to be replaced by each other:
- "New Year's Day" switched with "Pride"
- "With Or Without..." & "All I Want Is You" & "Bad"
- "Sunday Bloody Sunday" & "Please"
- "I Still haven't Found..." & "Stuck In A Moment ..."
- "I Will Follow" & "Out Of Control"
- "Until The End Of ..." & "Bullet The Blue Sky"
- "Discotheque" & "Mysterious Ways"

In this scheme now we do have up to 11 spots now reserved for 'Greatest Hits' a) (4 tunes) & b) (up to 7 tunes). I'd add at least 6 spots reserved for 'new album tracks'. This does leave 2-8 spots for songs, that U2 should dust off from their impressive back catalogue. I'd suggest:
- "Twilight"
- "October" (!)
- "A Sort Of Homecoming" (!)
- "The Unforgettable Fire" (!)
- "Exit"
- "Spanish Eyes"
- "God Part II" (!)
- "Acrobat"
- "Ultra Violet (Light My Way)"

...wow, any ideas on these thoughts? And might we continue with the topic? Thany ...

I mainly agree with what you say, it took me a minute to completely understand what you were saying about the 90s and 00s tours, but I think I get it now...

In the 90s their stage productions were huge, but I never felt that it took the attention away from the music. Even during PopMart, the show I was at was a bit weak (San Antonio) but I didn't think it was a direct result of too much attention going to the set//stage... i think it was a combination of off things..

You bring up a good point about the B-stage- it allows for some spontaneity free of whatever contraptions they have going on about the main stage... but I really don't think it's the stage set-ups that take away from the spontaneity, and having seen them in 92, 97 and o5, i don't think their shows feel that they're lacking in spontaneity.

I think they've almost always delivered both good music and a good stage show, it's not an either//or thing to me.

Your listing of tracks for the next tour.. yeah, sounds good, they've a history of playing lots of old material along with 50-70% of the new album.. you've broken it down there.

I'd like to see them continue the idea they had with Vertigo reaching back to Boy, and bring out some old greats from War and//or October for the next tour... if it fits with the feel of the new material of course...

Yep, the new material will be the key for, what U2 want to throw in from their 'old tunes', especially those apart from the usual 'Greatest Hits', they might want to dust off ...

have you heard about the remastered joshua tree, scheduled for re-release this November ? it is to contain a paris show from 1987,,,,

wicked woweeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom