I'd like for U2 to pay tribute to George Harrison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
It's a fact that Bono was influence by Lennon, and most of us remember when, on Saturday Night Live, he paid tribute by recognizing the anniversary of his death with snippets of "All You Need Is Love", and "Instant Karma".
Now, I'm not sure what Bono and the others think of Harrison, but I think it would be fitting to hear a touching musical tribute sometime before the end of the tour.
"My Sweet Lord", "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)", "What is Life", "All Those Years Ago", and "Got My Mind Set on You", would be amazing and would bring tears to my eyes.
I can't even begin to image how much talent we lost today. This is...I don't know...

I would be very surprised if Bono doesn't make some sort of comment and/or dedicate a song to him in their next concert.

Good idea Danno, I mean I would be suprised if he didn't. I am expecting it. I was wondering if he and George ever "made up" after their little "disagreement" during the PoPmart tour.

------------------
HEY BABY, HEY BABY- HEY !(GWEN)

Proud to be an INFIDEL

Oh yes I'm sure Bono is noble enough to rise above their very public spat a few years ago to highlight Harrison's influence on his musical life and just about every other musician, too!

George Harrison once spoke out against U2 very unkindly on the Popmart tour, and what he said was very uncharacteristic of George, but if I know U2, they will rise above that and give tribute to him.

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

Oh I agree and that is the past, and I probably should not have even brought that up out of respect for the great man we just lost.

Sure they'll let his comments go. Would love to hear them play MSL or Set On You, but think he'll just dedicate a song.

I think the leg 1 "There are places I remember all my life...." segueway into Stuck would be a nice touch. Or maybe Kite.

If I remember correctly when U2 played Wembley after Harrison called them the worst band they had all the fans stick up their middle finger for George.

I would guess that Bono will say something about his passing as he is a religious man, but I am not sure their feelings were ever kind (or should they have been) for George Harrison who attacked them unmercifully and without cause.

He actually paid tribute at the Millenium concert version of One(It wasn't long after he was stabbed). At the end, he sang a few lines of one of his songs. That was after Popmart, so I'm sure the bad feelings were history by then....

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

From a BBC News article a few years ago:
"You know what irritates me about modern music, it's all based on ego.

"Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money.

"It's nothing to do with talent."

The Beatles, he said, "had a value which will last forever".

"Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. Will we remember U2 in 30 years? Or the Spice Girls? I doubt it."

Although I obviously find these comments ridiculous, I still have tremendous respect for him, as I'm sure Bono does. The Beatles laid every solid foundation on which modern rock and pop music are founded, and George Harrison's influence is something I am certain and hopeful that U2 will publicly recognize.

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 11-30-2001).]

Originally posted by ouizy:
If I remember correctly when U2 played Wembley after Harrison called them the worst band they had all the fans stick up their middle finger for George.

In the Dublin Popmart concert he dedicated Staring at the Sun to George Harrison and the other members of the Sunshine Home for the bewildered or something like that. But as others have said I think Bono will be able to look past the incredibly foolish comment Harrison made about U2 and give him deserved respects

They should do a cover of "Here Comes The Sun" but with Edge on vocals.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Um, I do not find George's comments on U2 that ridiculous...while I do agree it is very ridiculous and very unlike George to say U2 has no talent, (I was surprised when I read that) I do find Bono to be egotistical.

*edited only for typos*

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!! I recognize Bono's talent as a songwriter and musician, as well as everyone else in the band! I love U2 and their music.

[This message has been edited by senrab (edited 11-30-2001).]

I'm confused cause it says at U2tours that they played "My Sweet Love" in Atlanta tonight as a tribute to George Harrison but I thought the song was "My Sweet Lord." Is that a mistake or is there also a song called "My Sweet Love?"

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Originally posted by Calluna:

I'm confused cause it says at U2tours that they played "My Sweet Love" in Atlanta tonight as a tribute to George Harrison but I thought the song was "My Sweet Lord." Is that a mistake or is there also a song called "My Sweet Love?"

I just checked u2tours again and it does say My Sweet Lord.

Originally posted by senrab:
I just checked u2tours again and it does say My Sweet Lord.

Thanks, they must have fixed the mistake then because I am looking at my unrefreshed page and it says My Sweet Love. I'm glad they figured it out.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Originally posted by senrab:
Um, I do not find George's comments on U2 that ridiculous...while I do agree it is very ridiculous and very unlike George to say U2 has no talent, (I was surprised when I read that) I do find Bono to be egotistical.

Just because the man died does not mean that we can't call something he said "ridiculous." Yes, Bono is egotistical (that's why I love him!), but it is clearly ridiculous to say that the band has no talent, to lump the band is a category with the Spice Girls, and to say that they will not be remembered in 30 years. That is all I was referring to and you could not convince me that some of those comments were not idiotic.

By the way, I am very pleased that they played My Sweet Lord last night. A wonderful tribute to a wonderful man.

Back
Top Bottom