I wonder if this guy is eating his words

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
Do I want them to do something different? Yeah, actually, I do. Will I be upset if it's another album in the vein of the last two? Depends on how much I like the songs.

That's where I stand, too.

About The Joshua Tree getting remastered, it's not just a money-grabbing thing, it's a fucking necessity. Has anyone ever tried listening to the old CD in a while? It sounds like shit.

This album has been in need of a good remaster for ages and I'm really glad we're getting one.

As far as caring about the Grammys - I don't know, both parties sure like to bring it up. :shrug:
In their heart of hearts they probably know it was likely a "sorry Achtung Baby didn't win" or "this is for your career" - the downside is they probably won't win once/when they make a better album than Bomb.

Consolatory awards :drool:

Also known as the "Paul Newman's Oscar for The Color of Money" Award.

Or "Whoopi Goldberg's Oscar for Ghost" award. They should just rename it "Oops, sorry we ignored The Color Purple ... Here, Have An Oscar."

corianderstem said:
Or "Whoopi Goldberg's Oscar for Ghost" award. They should just rename it "Oops, sorry we ignored The Color Purple ... Here, Have An Oscar."

Good call on that one.

I'm waiting for Bill Murray's.

corianderstem said:

Do I want them to do something different? Yeah, actually, I do. Will I be upset if it's another album in the vein of the last two? Depends on how much I like the songs.

Apart from most of what i've said in this thread, this is the most sensible post of the lot.

And the last two albums are what made me a fan, so there. :madspit:

The re-applying for the job comment has been explained by Bono in several interviews. He said it both to wind people up and get them argueing/talking about U2 and to psyche the band up to go out there and give it their all. He knew good and well how people would take that comment, and he used it to get lots of people arguing back and forth because anyone with a brain knows that people talking about you even if it isn't all positive gets you attention.

As for bands being influenced by U2, I've seen plenty of mentions especially from bands that played support for them. Also some major artists have really loved the last two albums. Michael Stipe wished he'd written Beautiful Day. Maybe the influence isn't all about the music itself but then if you really pay attention to what they say U2 sees the music as a means to an end. It is a means to communicate. That is their primary goal. The reason they see Pop as somewhat of a failure has nothing to do with the songs themselves which they think are great but more with the fact that the album didn't connect with people as well as they would have liked. The last two albums may not have been sonically groundbreaking or experimental but there is no doubt that they connected strongly with a very large amount of people and as evidenced by membership on this board and U2.com a lot of those people were very young. That a band in their 40's can still attract teenage fans in the quantities that U2 does makes them sound pretty relevant to me.

But you know what? All of this is just opinion and while we all have a right to our own opinions, we don't have a right to state that everyone else agrees with that opinion.

Dana

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's where I stand, too.

About The Joshua Tree getting remastered, it's not just a money-grabbing thing, it's a fucking necessity. Has anyone ever tried listening to the old CD in a while? It sounds like shit.

This album has been in need of a good remaster for ages and I'm really glad we're getting one.

Rubbish, you're talking shite mate.

Back
Top Bottom