"I Will Follow": Why would you say it's overrated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Lots of people in the underrated/overrated thread listed "I Will Follow" as being overrated, and I just think it's so...

--anthemic?
--mature?
--rockin'?
--(all of the above?)

I don't get it being overrated. But, I am open to hearing other opinions.

Sidebar: Anyone ever hear the live version where Bono says something like, "TONIGHT...for you, I WILL FOLLOW..."
It's very cool.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I think it's because it's often the only pre-War song ever played...

Originally posted by typhoon:
I think it's because it's often the only pre-War song ever played...

Yes, that's likely why I picked it. Maybe a bit of an unfair choice. Hearing it live was great, it's certainly better than the album version--especially since I understand that on the Elevation tour they did the "Your eyes make a circle" bit for the first time in ages. But to me it's probably because a lot of people say it's basically the only good song on Boy, or even the only good song on Boy and October together--personally, I like Another Time Another Place much more, probably a few other songs off Boy (An Cat Dubh, Electric Co), and a bunch off October.

I like it more than, say, When Love Comes to Town and Love Rescue Me, but I haven't noticed many people rating those especially highly. My question wasn't least favourite and most favourite, but most over- and underrated.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I Will Follow is defintely not overrated. Listen to the lyrics in the song - very deep (Bono addressing the song to his deceased mother).

it's a classic.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Yes, that's likely why I picked it. Maybe a bit of an unfair choice. Hearing it live was great, it's certainly better than the album version--especially since I understand that on the Elevation tour they did the "Your eyes make a circle" bit for the first time in ages. But to me it's probably because a lot of people say it's basically the only good song on Boy, or even the only good song on Boy and October together--personally, I like Another Time Another Place much more, probably a few other songs off Boy (An Cat Dubh, Electric Co), and a bunch off October.

I like it more than, say, When Love Comes to Town and Love Rescue Me, but I haven't noticed many people rating those especially highly. My question wasn't least favourite and most favourite, but most over- and underrated.

Say it ain't so! Do people really say that? Good Lord, "Boy" is one of the catchiest debut albums ever. I love every song on there.

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
Say it ain't so! Do people really say that? Good Lord, "Boy" is one of the catchiest debut albums ever. I love every song on there.

I have to admit that I seem to like it less than I used to. But that could change. Unfortunately, even more popular than "I Will Follow is the only good song on Boy" is "I never listen to October," "Gloria is the only half decent song on October," etc.

But I'm changing the subject...

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I dunno about "overrated" but personally, I've never liked it...I love Boy, I listen to it constantly, but I always skip that track. Just my opinion...I know lots of people love that song...

Overrated???
confused.gif

The only thing this song is is scary!!!

Yeah you just stand there and try to plant your feet on the ground but the song just makes you JUMP!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "anthemic" or "mature", but I think it's a great song. Mature for a first album, certainly.

But Out of Control BLOWS IT AWAY live (which says a lot, since IWF is a great live song).

I Will Follow is ok, I agree that live versions blow the recorded version out of the water though. It never really has been one of my favorites, but it DOES get a lot of radio play to this day....so yea....that's why people still like it.

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Call me crazy...I don't think it is over-rated. Sure it's young and lacking in lyrical "depth" but it has a passion and fire that just sends me places. lol. Of course, after watching the IWF music video, you have to love the Bono-skip too.
wink.gif

I hardly ever listen to it between tours so when I hear it live, I fall in love with it all over again. Many casual fans don't even know this song and when they see the Boston video or hear a bootleg they hear a side of U2 they've never heard before. Yes, a classic.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 03-20-2002).]

I love this song...I would def say it is one of their classics

but to truly appreciate it, esp for the ppl who are newer fans, u have to hear the Irving Plaza AYCLB version....it reminds u of everything that is great about u2
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom