I want to be a non U2 fan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissZooropa

Refugee
And that because I want to discover them again for the first time and know what it is/was like. I want that OMG
eek.gif
eek.gif
feeling that this is something special. I know it now of course and think about it every day but I want to experience that as a first timer.

I never had that feeling when I became a U2 fan, at least I don't remember, I more remember that I forced myself to listen through AB when I really wanted to turn it off after a few seconds into Zoo Station.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

I can still remember finding U2. The funny thing was that i found a tape that had one, TTTYAATW, Mysterious Ways, ISHFWILF, WOWY, WTSHNN. I listened to it for about two weeks then finally let a friend listent o it and she said it was U2. WHO? I say. Hmmm lets go buy all their alblums!!!

It was so great on saturday i layed in my room and listened to JT, AB, R+H, POP, and WAR. i wish too that i could go back!!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

I was a fan from the first record, bought each record as they came out and by the time JT came around, I knew it was true love. Still, I didn't get that "OMG they're the best R&R band ever" feeling until AB. I remember it vividly. When I heard that spacey guitar solo on "Real Thing" and then Bono's "take me higher" I went off into some kind of non-drug-induced reverie like I'd never experienced before. And I hadn't even gotten to the best songs on the record yet. I played it over and over and over until the wee hours of the morning...had to get up and go to work...and all I could think about the next day was getting back home to listen to it some more.

And THEN, when I saw ZooTv at Madison Square Garden...when Bono first comes out and you see his silhouette kick that leg up ...He was sooo not the JT Bono that I loved but this new side of Bono just made me die laughing. I laughed, I cried, I nearly wet myself and I just thought, Bono, you are the living end and now I love you and this band forever.

okay, that was embarrassing, but if not here, then where?

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-27-2002).]

Oooooh, I'm getting the U2 fuzzies just reading this stuff!

I know how you feel, MissZ. I had always had U2 albums and loved them, but when I first saw ZooTV Live in Sydney, I had that feeling you're talking about. That "THESE MEN ARE SO INCREDIBLE" feeling that has now changed my life.

Luckily, I still get glimpses of that feeling now and then. I'm sure I'll get chills when they play the grammies tonight, and even more chills if they win some hardware.

God bless 'em. They still elevate my soul!
biggrin.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:

Luckily, I still get glimpses of that feeling now and then.
God bless 'em. They still elevate my soul!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I do too. It's not that I've never felt it, I do it almost every day. What I want is to hear them for the first time and realize this immediatly without knowing anything about them.

For me it has more been like them sneaking up on me from behind, never letting me out of their sight and finally jumped on me and wrestled me to the floor ten years after my first discovery rather then for many, have them hitting you in the head with the first chord and you get floored immediatly. Or it might be me just slow in my reactions and it took me ten years to fall completely to the floor. LOL

I know what you mean.. I am still such a new fan, but I still long for that feeling again! I do get the feeling (not as much) when I go to U2 concerts.. which is amazing. They are just the most amazing band.
biggrin.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Elevatedmole: It was actually your post in another forum about how you watched MTV and nothing good came on and then you saw the BD video and thought that was a real video that made me come up with this thought.
It's from reading all the new born fans stories about how they became fans thanks to ATYCLB that makes me want to be a non U2 fan again so I can experience what you just did.

I know what you mean...sometimes, having been a fan for some years now, I'm not excited enough. (Though I am excited for tonight!!) I often wish I could have that first experience again for my favourite music and books. To give a different example, a friend of mine just read The Lord of the Rings for the first time, and loved it. She saw the movie, thought it was great, and had to read the book. I read the book regularly, and have been doing so for more than half my life, and I still laugh and cry and get totally moved and swept away and emotionally involved. But there's something about that first time--I always know the plot on my rereadings, but she didn't even know what was going to happen!

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Back
Top Bottom