I tired of that......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peterrrrr said:

Yes One is deep for me, because Bonos deep voice make it deep. It isnt deep anyomre when you hear it live or the MJB version, Bono hasnt that voice in One anymore.

So every Joy Division song is by default deep because Ian Curtis sings in a baritone?

I'd debate your other points, but like BVS says, you're all over the place. You don't have a coherent argument.

Oh, and Pero, I actually tried to keep my One hate out of this thread. I merely said it's a traditional ballad (no comment on its actual quality) - which it is, it's not particularly innovative or experimental at all. But now that you mention it, yes, I'd not enjoy One no matter where I heard it because I don't like the song. Not a hard concept to understand.

Axver said:

So every Joy Division song is by default deep because Ian Curtis sings in a baritone?

I'd debate your other points, but like BVS says, you're all over the place. You don't have a coherent argument.

Oh, and Pero, I actually tried to keep my One hate out of this thread. I merely said it's a traditional ballad (no comment on its actual quality) - which it is, it's not particularly innovative or experimental at all. But now that you mention it, yes, I'd not enjoy One no matter where I heard it because I don't like the song. Not a hard concept to understand.

But has has something that makes it deep I don't know what is else besides of Bono's voice, the song is something special. It isnt just a ordianry ballad. That all I can say.

Peterrrrr said:

It isnt just a ordianry ballad. That all I can say.
You can actually argue that in two ways:
a. It's not an ordinary ballad, or else it wouldn't have been this popular. "Ordinary" songs usually don't get high in charts.
b. It is an ordinary ballad, or it wouldn't have been so popular amongst 'mainstream music lovers'.

I tend to think it's B.

Don't mind the term 'mainstream' BTW, I hate it myself too. Just used it for a lack of better word.

WalkOn21 said:
a. It's not an ordinary ballad, or else it wouldn't have been this popular. "Ordinary" songs usually don't get high in charts.
b. It is an ordinary ballad, or it wouldn't have been so popular amongst 'mainstream music lovers'.

I tend to think it's B.

Don't mind the term 'mainstream' BTW, I hate it myself too. Just used it for a lack of better word.

But for me it still is deep, as I said it is something deep with that song that you can't explain, I only talk about the studio version, no other version come sound like that.

If we talk ordinary, have you ever heard a song wich is like One?

Peterrrrr said:

Dozens. I can't name you titles though, I only hear them on the radio. Would never buy it myself.

But this is kind of a useless discussion. You can think One is deep, that's fine with me. I just don't share your opinion.

Peterrrrr said:
Im tired of that people often says:
U2 was best in the 80's
Tha Zooropa is strange
Pop is Strange

It is like when the music gets deep it gets hard to listen to, Im want deep music. I think that for example ISHFWILF isnt intressting to listen to if you compare to a song like Zooropa. You relay have to listen to it deep.

God bless you. You're a great person, and deserve a smiley face.

:)

Re: Re: I tired of that......

I always have said that Zooropa and POP is U2 at the peak of creativity and imagination :bow: :rockon:

Peterrrrr said:

Yes, it's called With Or Without You. Predates One by some four years and was pretty famous.

You may also be familiar with another somewhat similar song called Stay (Faraway, So Close!).

WalkOn21 said:

I tend to think it's B.

^ So is it me or does this guy have the strangest fixation with algebra and multiple choice??

~A.j.~

"I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colours will bleed into one
Bleed into one
But yes, I'm still running
You broke the bonds and you loosed the chains
Carried the cross of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believe it"

pretty deep shit to me.....

depends how you look at it i guess, zooropa and JT both kick ass, their completely different sides of u2. one of the reasons i love the band so much.

U2 was at their most creative during Unforgettable Fire and they were on their peak on Joshua Tree
but if someone would tell me that they prefer U2's 90's output then I have no problem with that

So some U2 fans think the 90s material is better, some think the 80s material is better, and Axver thinks the Lovetown tour is better than sex.

Is this thread really breaking any new ground?

Axver said:

Yes, it's called With Or Without You. Predates One by some four years and was pretty famous.

You may also be familiar with another somewhat similar song called Stay (Faraway, So Close!).

Not working unless you assume One is about a lovers' relationship.

Well if we want to talk WOWY rip-offs look no further than AIWIY.

U2girl said:

Not working unless you assume One is about a lovers' relationship.

Uh, the person I quoted simply asked if I'd heard a song "like" One, not a song "thematically like" One (of which there are plenty of examples, no matter what meaning of One you accept). And I do think the two songs sound alike, to the point that they both have solos that fade out on the studio version but that built up to an extra verse live. They're both ballads in a similar style, they both have lyrics that some call deep while some call them cliched (and some think they're a mixture of both), they're both well known for being concluded with a certain snippet (One's Unchained Melody and WOWY's Love Will Tear Us Apart), and so on.

The problem with this thread is that there are a lot of different opinions on what deep means. Based on this thread, the definition of deep is either
deep=low, as with lots of bass or baritone
deep=meaningful lyrics
deep=musically experimental
deep=smurf

which is it?

Peterrrrr said:
Im tired of that people often says:
U2 was best in the 80's
Tha Zooropa is strange
Pop is Strange

You have to be careful with that. 'Strange' doesn't necessarilly mean 'bad'. When I first brought Achtung Baby (I'm sure some will remember the thread :eek: ) I thought most of it was strange. In fact I still do think it's strange. The whole of Zoo Station. The intro to UTEOTW. The intro to WGRYWH. The whispering like vocals in The Fly. How TTTYAATW seemed a little distant. How different the intro to Ultraviolet was to rest of the song. Some of the late guitar in Love is Blindness.

But all that and more combines to make it one of my, if not my favourite album.

Personally, I can't wait for Zooropa and Pop. Strange is good. I've heard Numb. Indescribably strange. I've heard SATS and WUDM. Both a little strange but good too.

Re: Re: I tired of that......

COBL_04 said:

Personally, I can't wait for Zooropa and Pop. Strange is good. I've heard Numb. Indescribably strange. I've heard SATS and WUDM. Both a little strange but good too.

Then get off your ass and buy them! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom