I thought this was rather interesting (Popmart tour)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbi16

War Child
I accidently found the website for the designers of the tour and they have this part where they talk about the original ideas for the look of it (mainly the screen). I found it pretty interesting so here's the link to it.

http://www.stufish.co.uk/images/Concepts/U2%201.html

Keep looking around though cause they have some some pretty funky stills of the video animation as well as great pictures of the stage. Not to mention some of the other tours they've done are also great to look at.

Is it just me or does the Pink Floyd one look extremely similar to Popmart though it was earlier? They have a mirrorball, arch, etc. Oh well maybe it's just the lack of sleep.

In any case have fun, and if this is old news, well ignore me.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

I sifted through the stills. They are cool. I have always liked what they tried to with POPMART, but many people just didnt get it. When all is said is done, U2 is gonna be praised for the risks that they took.

Paul.

I've seen that site before, but I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for posting the link!

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Originally posted by snutes1:
I sifted through the stills. They are cool. I have always liked what they tried to with POPMART, but many people just didnt get it. When all is said is done, U2 is gonna be praised for the risks that they took.

Man oh man, the "just didn't get it" thing is so insulting.

Some of us got it but didn't like it. Being told you didn't get it is necessarily insulting. If someone says to you "You just don't get it, do you?" how do you feel?

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

I loved it. And I hate the way the likes of you *points at any PopMart hater* have apparently turned them *points at U2* against any form of experimentation with their tours.

Zoo TV and PopMart were light years, nay, decades ahead of anything else. It made you sit back and go "wow"...

... and the songs were great too.

Now away with you! Look what you have done!

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
I loved it. And I hate the way the likes of you *points at any PopMart hater* have apparently turned them *points at U2* against any form of experimentation with their tours.

Zoo TV and PopMart were light years, nay, decades ahead of anything else. It made you sit back and go "wow"...

... and the songs were great too.

Now away with you! Look what you have done!

confused.gif

Oh yes, wasn't I going to never participate or even open a thread such as this again? Why do I always do this??

------------------
Dust from a distant sun

-Crowded House

Oh wow what an ugly turn this has taken. I had no idea how sensitive people are to the Pop era. And I don't mean just in here, you should see the kind of arguments that spring up in PLEBA at the mere mention of Bono's hair. This is really scary stuff if you ask me.

But everyone cool it, this thread is merely to discuss stage design. I'm glad people enjoyed flipping through the site as much as I did, and I'm happy I was able to reintroduce the site to those of you who had forgotten about it.

I agree with the Jane's Addiction comments, they really had something special back then it's sad they went away so quickly and disheartning to see them come back in such manner. Is the tour you're talking about the same one featured in the Jane Says video?

Long live the lemon!!!

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by mbi16:

But everyone cool it, this thread is merely to discuss stage design. I'm glad people enjoyed flipping through the site as much as I did, and I'm happy I was able to reintroduce the site to those of you who had forgotten about it.

I know, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten into this at all. The "didn't get it" comment just always makes me fume. But I didn't intend to start any nastiness.

------------------
Dust from a distant sun

-Crowded House

Back
Top Bottom