I think we can all agree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
I think we can all agree that this is a grand idea. Try and induct a friend, a stranger, an enemy or a whatever in to U2 fandom over the next week.

Buy them an album, burn them a song, write them an essay, tell them.

By the end of the week get at least one person hooked. Go!

Post your results here. :D

Hit the street. By the end of the week the world will be a better place.

Last edited:
Yes I agree, for an underground band like U2, who don't have the sufficient funds to promote themselves, it is up to us, the fans, to go out and spread the word.

Chizip said:
Yes I agree, for an underground band like U2, who don't have the sufficient funds to promote themselves, it is up to us, the fans, to go out and spread the word.

I have been introduced to more bands by friends and acquaintances that i ever have through promotion...so i would not say your wrong:wink:

Most of my friends already like U2.

The ones that don't, there isn't any hope of converting them 'cos they are not particularly interested in music, for the most part.

Chizip said:

Because a commercial or music video will really reach out and ecourage someone like a friend. Funds dont matter. The fans matter and I think the fans need to take the worlds musical health in to their own hands.

Most of my friends already like U2.

Dont give up. I plan to bring out my boom-box and spead the word on a street corner tomorrow while I read the NY times magazine. :drool:

Well, my english teacher last year found out I was a U2 fan but only had about 15 random songs. He burned JT, AB, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB for me... and now I can't imagine life without U2. :drool:

So over the summer I passed it on. I burned those cd's for one of my friends and now he's a U2 fan! :hyper:

I'm much more apt to start listening to a band when I'm introduced to it by a friend than by some marketing machine. I don't read music magazines or listen to the radio and don't watch a whole lot of TV, but when someone I know really likes a band, I figure it's worth a try.

Not that U2 really is in dire need of fans, but if you want to try it, I think it's a good way to get someone interested. :)

Two nights ago I sent my friend, who is (or was) a casual greatest hits sorta fan, Achtung Baby and Zooropa and last night he asked for the entire catalog :up:

I just converted my 65 year old father in law, whose interest in music previously stopped with Elvis. If you knew him, you would be amazed. I watched Sydney with him and he couldn't stop talking about it afterword.

I converted my dad back in 1989 with the Rattle and Hum movie. Since then I've burnt him many a U2 CD, and just burnt him a compilation of various great live performances that span the group's career. He loves it.

I've converted my wife, who stubbornly insisted when we first started dating that she hated U2. However, I had other ideas.....The song that originally turned her off was SBS, which she still hates, but I proved to her that she does NOT hate the band by gradually introducing her to the U2's material, and little by little she grudgingly admitted that she liked this or that song, but still insisted she didn't like U2. Finally, after years of hard work she broke down and admitted that she liked U2. Now she's always humming a U2 song, and when I hear her I just laugh to myself and congratulate myself on a job well done. She's very stubborn, but I'm even more so, in case you haven't already noticed by my posts.

i made my girl this mix on her computer, but she never listens to it cuz she never has time. One day, she'll fall in love with them...and hopefully me? lol one can hope

I wouldn't have thought there'd be too many people out there who don't know who U2 are at this point. Unless you're planning to convert undiscovered tribes in the Amazon...:wink:

blueeyedgirl said:
I wouldn't have thought there'd be too many people out there who don't know who U2 are at this point. Unless you're planning to convert undiscovered tribes in the Amazon...:wink:

Put me on a plane! Even if I have no musical supplies with me, I'll ramble on so much to the tribe about U2 that they'll eventually cave and go on a quest to find the nearest shop selling The Joshua Tree!

blueeyedgirl said:

I agree most people know who they are, but many people also think of them as pretentious buffoons. The best way to counter that is person to person, not through mass marketing (which is where many people got the idea from in the first place).

Axver said:

Put me on a plane! Even if I have no musical supplies with me, I'll ramble on so much to the tribe about U2 that they'll eventually cave and go on a quest to find the nearest shop selling The Joshua Tree!

Or they flambe you and serve you with a nice red wine sauce and some mash. :lol:

On to the street I go with my selection on magazines, a boom box, my u2 shirt, ZooTV, The Joshua Tree, War, October, Pop, Atchung, and the Bomb.

indra said:

I agree most people know who they are, but many people also think of them as pretentious buffoons. The best way to counter that is person to person, not through mass marketing (which is where many people got the idea from in the first place).

That is part of the problem i think...mass media tends to make people disinterested...they do not really want to know about it because they are everywhere...people i know, know very little at all about U2, they can not name songs beyond SBS, Vertigo or Beautiful Day...

i have converted many of my female friends not nesserally to like U2's music (that's step 2) but to think that Larry is hot!!

babysteps!!

I converted my ex-bf, and he is a decently big fan now.

Though he is still not willing to drive from Cincy to Cleveland to see them in Dec., so not too hardcore.

:laugh:

Many people know about U2 but dont know U2 in any way other then a few hit songs....the true converting tool to U2 is to take somebody to see them live.

blueeyedgirl said:

You'd be surprised,

I was playing a game with my friends (we're all nineteen) where you had to name songs from a certain band and when U2 came up honestly all any of them could think of were 'beautiful day' and 'with or without you.'

So there's still definately a young market that U2 haven't really cracked yet.

My friends are convinced I'm a girl and I listen to chick music, so I am kind of paranoid about preaching to them. Most of them are into heavy, heavy music.

But, I do have another group of friends so I'll give it a shot. Axver how do you do it? Because there's no one I can relate to about U2 outside of this forum. One of my friends' sister has The Joshua Tree but she said she doesn't really like it. She died her hair black and became a goth (like sooo many people I know) so it's probably to light for her.
That would be why I am burning Achtung Baby for her with some extras on it like Bullet, Exit and Like A Song.

jonnytakeawalk said:

You'd be surprised,

I was playing a game with my friends (we're all nineteen) where you had to name songs from a certain band and when U2 came up honestly all any of them could think of were 'beautiful day' and 'with or without you.'

So there's still definately a young market that U2 haven't really cracked yet.

I'd be surprised if my friends (14-15) knew more than three U2 songs. They'd know Vertigo, possibly Beautiful Day, maybe Elevation, maybe Sometimes and ISHFWILF (but they wouldn't know its by U2).

COBL_04 said:
But, I do have another group of friends so I'll give it a shot. Axver how do you do it? Because there's no one I can relate to about U2 outside of this forum.

I haven't done a whole lot of converting offline (some, yes, through mix CDs or encouraging friends who enjoyed Song X on the radio to buy live footage). Online, I've truly lost track of the converts. I simply mention U2 in the general flow of conversation (having an encyclopaedic knowledge of the band really helps here!), quoting lyrics here or Edge there in a relevant manner, or just finding a good excuse to harp on about why I think U2's music is so exceptional and powerful. On one forum alone, I converted about ten people in the space of a few months. In another instance, I'd spoken so positively of U2 that on that basis alone, my girlfriend went out and bought The Joshua Tree. Have a guess who was with me in the ellipse at Boston III singing along to An Cat Dubh while dancing with me? My girlfriend of course.

Back
Top Bottom