I think it's so cool Bono took foreign language lessons for their tours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
French, German, Japanese, Spanish...

It's nice to see how he respects the homeland of fans, by speaking their language. You know most singers would show up and speak in English and assume that they know it, but Bono researched and learned. That's what makes him a great front man

Almost every artist knows one or two stupid sentences in the language of the host country. That's not really learning a language.:huh:

Most sentences are something like 'It's nice to be here' or something so-called "funny" like 'I forgot my underpants' in the language of the host country.

The Sau Paulo performances sounded legit he actually spoke quite a bit of Portuguese, especially before One.

He is fluent in Spanish and I think Italian.

BANZAI said:
Almost every artist knows one or two stupid sentences in the language of the host country. That's not really learning a language.:huh:

Most sentences are something like 'It's nice to be here' or something so-called "funny" like 'I forgot my underpants' in the language of the host country.

But this is how Bono is in English as well. About 30 phrases on repeat.

In all seriousness, theu2fly is by far my favourite poster.

Many artists do that, Mick Jagger and James Hetfield for example. I get the feeling that they write a few lines of what they want to say throughout the show and give to someone translate to them.

I think the only language that he can actually speak, besides English, is French. He spends a whole lotta time in France so he may have learned how to communicate well in their language. When I went to their show in Paris he did his entire speech before One in French, still he could have been reading it from the teleprompter. It's the gesture that counts really, even if he fucks it up.

theu2fly said:
French, German, Japanese, Spanish...

It's nice to see how he respects the homeland of fans, by speaking their language. You know most singers would show up and speak in English and assume that they know it, but Bono researched and learned. That's what makes him a great front man

Don't tell me you think all south america , includin Brazil speaks spanish :|

When Bono came to my city to speak, the local press did a two-page spread and included a little bio stating that Bono is fluent in five languages. I nearly spat my drink! :lol:

I heard him speak Portuguese and speak and sing in Italian. I would assume he knows some French since he's living there. But fluent, I don't think so. But it would be a shame for someone who travels so much and talks so much to people and is involved in world affairs to NOT know some foreign languages. I just don't think he has ever taken real lessons or something.

When he introduced the 'unos, dos' section of Vertigo in Cardiff in Welsh, he was so off the mark it was comedic!

TheBrazilianFly said:
Many artists do that, Mick Jagger and James Hetfield for example. I get the feeling that they write a few lines of what they want to say throughout the show and give to someone translate to them.

Yes but do Mick Jagger and James Hetfield say more than just the obligatory "Hello!/You rock/Thank you!" in foreign languages? Anything comparable to ISHFWILF Spanish speeches in S. America? (Portuguese for Brazil)

It's a nice gesture and I don't think he's fluent in any non-English languages. It's feasible he's learned more than a few words with all the time he spends in France, and he knows a bit of Spanish and Italian.

U2girl said:

Yes but do Mick Jagger and James Hetfield say more than just the obligatory "Hello!/You rock/Thank you!" in foreign languages? Anything comparable to ISHFWILF Spanish speeches in S. America? (Portuguese for Brazil)
Yes, Mick Jagger does. He doesn't do speeches but he says some really cool and "personal" stuff (about the country or town he is in).

^ especially the "MTV Video Music Awards...." bit

Credit to him to reeling off some of the lingo...many artists simply would not try. But I imagine most of it is from autocue

Yo hablo espanol pequeno. Bono habla mucho mas espanol que yo!

Hope that was right ...

^^^Yeah that was good...although I don't think you need to put "mucho" and "mas" together cause it's like a double negative or something...I could be wrong though, I just take Spanish at school.

Back
Top Bottom