I think I'm addicted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VertigoGal said:
(no not to yer "blue crack")

I really think I'm addicted to U2. No shit. The problem with them is that they have so many albums, and *styles*, that I never get bored with them. I just went through a huge phase with Zooropa (it was Boy before that), and then today I listened almost completely through the Joshua Tree on the way home from school and fell in love. I just remembered how much I love Mofo, and now I have to go listen to Pop. Right after I listen to my Rattle and Hum versions of Bad, SBS, and Running to Stand Still that I got off the Music on the Internet section. Which, by the way, is the true cause of my problems. I've downloaded some bootlegs from the good peeps there, and love them all. Can't stop listening to them. So many different versions, of so many songs, I always have something new to listen to, and never get bored.

I only got into them about a year ago (so maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase). Before that, I listened to crap if anything. So now I'm trying to get into all sorts of other good rock bands. But I love U2 so much right now that nothing else sounds nearly as good. I know I'm gonna get a lot of shit for saying that, but it's how I feel! I need to get off them, I swear. Probably 85% of what I listen to is U2, the other 15% every other band in the world. The only bands that it doesn't feel like a chore to get into are The Killers and Van Morrison. I'm not bragging. :ohmy:

Is this normal? Can I be forgiven for my blind obsession since I'm young and just recently got into them? Does anyone else feel like this? Do I need to go to bed?

everything u said about u2, describes me to a T....i only got into them about a year/2 years ago...everyone who meets me think ive liked them my whole life...i only really got into them after beautiful day and elevation..

For me lately it's not just *listening* to them, but singing their songs all the time too...that feels especially weird/addiction-like, ya know? Can't make it stop sometimes..."and you feeeel, like noone before" sung at the top of my lungs with my barely realizing it while standing at the dishsink..and not just humming the tunes, but having them take me over in the sort of way bono describes having to move thru a piece, live in it while performing it.
There are very few other bits of music this happens with for me, and usually then it's mostly a hook or two, not whole songs or collections of songs...
so yeah, I sometimes feel like each track gets approached by me like a tab of something,something to get set with and consume/be consumed by...in a good way of course!

cheerio...

I used to listen to all my fav bands and give equal importance to all of them... U2, the Beatles, REM, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd among others. But these days I seem to be listening only to U2. Plus HTDAAB has really grown on me a lot. It has made my addiction worse. :wink: Plus Jick had to post a bunch of amazing live performances. Thank you. :bow: So I listen all the time to the live CD I made up from those performances. I called it LIVE IS WHERE THEY LIVE - U2. To top it, NY's 92.3 played Popmart Mexico City in it's entirety. :drool: :drool: :drool: And I taped it. Oh man, I can't get enough! U2 is the greatest band ever and I'll never stop listening to them till I'm old and grey.

tell me about it....... my 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' phase has now given way to October.....

its impossible to get tired of their music.....

VertigoGal said:
hehe, good to see I'm not alone!

thing is, I'm trying to get into new bands like 1stepcloser, because I know there *are* other great new bands out there, and I *do* want to get into them. right now I just can't seem to.:huh:

oh well, if I have to be addicted to something...:drool:

i find it quite hard to motivate myself to go and find new music because i know that with U2 i can just stick on any of their songs and i'll enjoy it!

however there are loads of great bands at the moment and it's good to see U2 have competition.

the only band for me that ever came close to matching U2 were the The Smiths. amazing band, their lead plays like the edge.

1stepcloser said:

i find it quite hard to motivate myself to go and find new music because i know that with U2 i can just stick on any of their songs and i'll enjoy it!

My problem exactly. I do love the Killers though for some reason, know all the words to the whole album Hot Fuss.

But I could just go my whole life listening to U2, all the eras, live performances, B-sides, and never ever get bored. It just seems like an effort listening to other bands. I end up listening to the first minute of each song so I can say I listened thru the album with an open mind, then get back to my U2. It shouldn't be painful to listen to music:huh:

Hopefully soon I'll be able to balance my U2 love with some other bands:wink:

Back
Top Bottom