I think I understand how some of you might feel now - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2002, 06:58 AM   #1
*Stormy*

Local Time: 02:01 PM
I think I understand how some of you might feel now

....about POP.

No, I am not coming here to post my 'conversion' or 'revelation.' I still hate the damn thing. But I DO think I understand now how some of you feel about it and why some of you say the things you do (even though it pissed me off sometimes)

You see, I am on the other side of the fence now. I went to see STP (Stone Temple Pilots) last night. They were okay in the 90's but I was never really a fan until Number 4 and Shangri-la-de-da came out. So I am a New Millennium STP fan. I wanted to hear that stuff. They had for the most part changed their sound and I liked it! They sounded like a different band on many of the songs and Scott's voice was better, I thought. I liked the new style, where I never really went gung-ho for the 90's albums.

Well, at the show, it was clear the band had become a 'greatest hits' jukebox churning out everyone's old favorite STP songs! Vaseline, Interstate Love Song and all the 90's hits. Okay, I realize they have reached that point in their career where they have a lot of hits and that's what most fans want to hear, but my problem is they neglected the ones I liked. They played a couple of songs from 4 and joked that "Sour Girl" had 'saved 4.' They seemed to distance themselves from their newer stuff, the stuff I liked, and sounded ashamed of it. Scott referred to Shangri-La-de-da as their 'invisible' and 'secret' record and made jokes until the fans laughed.

I was mad! I wanted to scream out that I LOVED it (at one point I did ) and I didn't want them to abandon it because it was not so commercially successful as the 90's ones. I thought, it was good, what do sales matter? Damn those fans 'stuck in the 90's' who couldn't accept the different sound! They never even did "Days of the Week" the 'hit' from it in concert. It seemed the band had turned its back in that album and its sound and were going to do what most fans wanted, to bring in the crowds and sell more records. Oh how badly I wanted to tell them that their newer stuff was good, it was my favorite, don't be embarrassed of it and make excuses for it!

That was last night. Just now when I woke up this hit me- this must be how some of those complaining about people not liking Pop feel and what they are trying to say. Now by saying this, I do NOT mean to imply that is what I think U2 is doing with Pop, just that some of the things some people have posted sound like maybe that is kind of what they think, and they are bitter over it. I know I am with STP.
Am I right? In some way at least?

Disclaimer: I do not this to be a negative or trouble starting thread. I enjoyed the show, really I did it's just that when this connection came to me I wanted to post it and see if I had hit on something. I do hope no one will make anything negative out of this that is not intended. I only want a serious, insightful discussion about feelings and opinions here. Please don't anyone take it the wrong way

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-17-2002).]

Old 04-17-2002, 07:26 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!

Old 04-17-2002, 08:05 AM   #3
*Stormy*

Oh forget it

Old 04-17-2002, 08:41 AM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Okay, I have no idea what's going on...

But about the first post, I think I get what you're saying. STP disowning some of their more recent work like that seems odd. I know that bands pretty much have to play some of their older hits becuase long-time fans love them, but basing a whole show around that could almost give the wrong message of "We've passed our prime!"

Wow, I'm making no sense...but I think that for hardcore POP fans the whole rejection of what U2 was doing there could be sort of alienating as well, that when they talk about stripping things down and getting back to basics those fans might think they're just retreating to their earlier sound and looking for security instead of more innovative music.

I personally enjoy POP. It's not my favorite album, but I like "Discotheque" and love "Staring at the Sun." And I think it makes sense that after doing really theatrical, over-the-top tours, U2'd want to strip things down with ATYCLB. I can't think of any exact quotes from the band off the top of my head, but I think U2 has been less eager to throw out POP in the way STP sounds like they want to discard their stuff.

And Stormy, I'm glad you had a good time!
Old 04-17-2002, 08:57 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 03:01 PM
flooding.

[This message has been edited by SicilianGoddess (edited 04-17-2002).]
Old 04-17-2002, 09:01 AM   #6
Acrobat

Okay, I dunno if it's the fever or exams or what...am I missing something? GAH *goes back to bed*
Old 04-17-2002, 09:05 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hey Stormy,

I think I understand what you're saying. And I think that if your experience helps you maybe to empathize with some of the people who are very big champions of POP, then that is great! It's always a good thing to broaden one's understanding of ANY issue in life. Anyways, glad you had a good time at the show. I think I finally feel awake now, 2 days after my concert. lol.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:11 AM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Ummm...bullet??

Wow...

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."
Old 04-17-2002, 09:12 AM   #9
Refugee

Sorry. But this Pop thing is now so dull.

I WANNA START A "Why Rattle and Hum nearly destroyed U2 with its crap music" THREAD!!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:37 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 AM
You do that and I'll break your legs

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time
Old 04-17-2002, 10:22 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Can I help?!!! Oh please can i??? Can I?!!!
Start that thread pOmmie boy!
Old 04-17-2002, 10:27 AM   #12
New Yorker

Bullet that was rude.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:31 AM   #13
Refugee

Cruel to be kind, my dears
Old 04-17-2002, 01:54 PM   #14
The Fly

Stormy, for what it's worth I think you're absolutely right.

I also think that those who were fans before Pop and were dismayed at the musical direction U2 went in with Pop, might want to consider that those who become fans because of Pop might feel equally as dismayed that U2 took a completely different direction on ATYCLB.

Old 04-17-2002, 02:06 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 07:01 AM

Old 04-17-2002, 02:10 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

U2 have been screwing me over for long enough!

Old 04-17-2002, 02:19 PM   #17
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
U2 have been screwing me over for long enough!

LOL
Old 04-17-2002, 02:23 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by u2utah:
Stormy, for what it's worth I think you're absolutely right.

I also think that those who were fans before Pop and were dismayed at the musical direction U2 went in with Pop, might want to consider that those who become fans because of Pop might feel equally as dismayed that U2 took a completely different direction on ATYCLB.

I became a fan because of/during POP, and I stil love ATYCLB. Well, actually, there isn't a U2 album that I dislike since I've been hearing their albums played around my house since JT came out.

From a slightly different perspective, I tend to get annoyed when people over-glorify JT. Not that it's a bad album, but I never really understand the whole thing with putting it on a pedestal. Of course, that's just me. So I guess my point in saying THIS is that I can understand more why Stormy gets annoyed with POP and with people talking about it.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
Old 04-17-2002, 02:35 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:01 AM
All I know for sure is that GypsyHeartGirl really wants U2 to create another "Pop" album - and for Bono to finally cut off that long hippy hair!

Discotheque - BOOM CHA!
Old 04-17-2002, 04:05 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Wasn't that the point of the joke?
sula i think that what gypsyheargirl said was the point of the good dr.'s joke.