I think I understand how some of you might feel now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

*Stormy*

....about POP.

No, I am not coming here to post my 'conversion' or 'revelation.' I still hate the damn thing. But I DO think I understand now how some of you feel about it and why some of you say the things you do (even though it pissed me off sometimes)

You see, I am on the other side of the fence now. I went to see STP (Stone Temple Pilots) last night. They were okay in the 90's but I was never really a fan until Number 4 and Shangri-la-de-da came out. So I am a New Millennium STP fan. I wanted to hear that stuff. They had for the most part changed their sound and I liked it! They sounded like a different band on many of the songs and Scott's voice was better, I thought. I liked the new style, where I never really went gung-ho for the 90's albums.

Well, at the show, it was clear the band had become a 'greatest hits' jukebox churning out everyone's old favorite STP songs! Vaseline, Interstate Love Song and all the 90's hits. Okay, I realize they have reached that point in their career where they have a lot of hits and that's what most fans want to hear, but my problem is they neglected the ones I liked. They played a couple of songs from 4 and joked that "Sour Girl" had 'saved 4.' They seemed to distance themselves from their newer stuff, the stuff I liked, and sounded ashamed of it. Scott referred to Shangri-La-de-da as their 'invisible' and 'secret' record and made jokes until the fans laughed.

I was mad! I wanted to scream out that I LOVED it (at one point I did
rolleyes.gif
) and I didn't want them to abandon it because it was not so commercially successful as the 90's ones. I thought, it was good, what do sales matter? Damn those fans 'stuck in the 90's' who couldn't accept the different sound! They never even did "Days of the Week" the 'hit' from it in concert. It seemed the band had turned its back in that album and its sound and were going to do what most fans wanted, to bring in the crowds and sell more records. Oh how badly I wanted to tell them that their newer stuff was good, it was my favorite, don't be embarrassed of it and make excuses for it!

That was last night. Just now when I woke up this hit me- this must be how some of those complaining about people not liking Pop feel and what they are trying to say. Now by saying this, I do NOT mean to imply that is what I think U2 is doing with Pop, just that some of the things some people have posted sound like maybe that is kind of what they think, and they are bitter over it. I know I am with STP.
Am I right? In some way at least?

Disclaimer: I do not this to be a negative or trouble starting thread. I enjoyed the show, really I did
smile.gif
it's just that when this connection came to me I wanted to post it and see if I had hit on something. I do hope no one will make anything negative out of this that is not intended. I only want a serious, insightful discussion about feelings and opinions here. Please don't anyone take it the wrong way
smile.gif

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-17-2002).]

Oh forget it

Okay, I have no idea what's going on...

But about the first post, I think I get what you're saying. STP disowning some of their more recent work like that seems odd. I know that bands pretty much have to play some of their older hits becuase long-time fans love them, but basing a whole show around that could almost give the wrong message of "We've passed our prime!"

Wow, I'm making no sense...but I think that for hardcore POP fans the whole rejection of what U2 was doing there could be sort of alienating as well, that when they talk about stripping things down and getting back to basics those fans might think they're just retreating to their earlier sound and looking for security instead of more innovative music.

I personally enjoy POP. It's not my favorite album, but I like "Discotheque" and love "Staring at the Sun." And I think it makes sense that after doing really theatrical, over-the-top tours, U2'd want to strip things down with ATYCLB. I can't think of any exact quotes from the band off the top of my head, but I think U2 has been less eager to throw out POP in the way STP sounds like they want to discard their stuff.

And Stormy, I'm glad you had a good time!
smile.gif

Hey Stormy,

I think I understand what you're saying. And I think that if your experience helps you maybe to empathize with some of the people who are very big champions of POP, then that is great!
smile.gif
It's always a good thing to broaden one's understanding of ANY issue in life. Anyways, glad you had a good time at the show. I think I finally feel awake now, 2 days after my concert. lol.

Ummm...bullet??

Wow...

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

You do that and I'll break your legs

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Stormy, for what it's worth I think you're absolutely right.
biggrin.gif

I also think that those who were fans before Pop and were dismayed at the musical direction U2 went in with Pop, might want to consider that those who become fans because of Pop might feel equally as dismayed that U2 took a completely different direction on ATYCLB.

Originally posted by u2utah:
Stormy, for what it's worth I think you're absolutely right.
biggrin.gif

I also think that those who were fans before Pop and were dismayed at the musical direction U2 went in with Pop, might want to consider that those who become fans because of Pop might feel equally as dismayed that U2 took a completely different direction on ATYCLB.

I became a fan because of/during POP, and I stil love ATYCLB. Well, actually, there isn't a U2 album that I dislike since I've been hearing their albums played around my house since JT came out.

From a slightly different perspective, I tend to get annoyed when people over-glorify JT. Not that it's a bad album, but I never really understand the whole thing with putting it on a pedestal. Of course, that's just me. So I guess my point in saying THIS is that I can understand more why Stormy gets annoyed with POP and with people talking about it.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by kobayashi:
sula i think that what gypsyheargirl said was the point of the good dr.'s joke.

lol. *throws up hands in confusion and runs out of thread screaming*

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by kobayashi:
sula i think that what gypsyheargirl said was the point of the good dr.'s joke.

Yep. I thought Sula would get that, though not everyone will. I am a long tenured hater of Pop and lover and defender of Bono's hair, so he did that just to annoy me, but in the most lighthearted of ways, so I'm not mad. Just glad I had a chance to straighten it out before U2 read it and got the wrong idea about me
wink.gif
:!!

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

lol. *phew* that's what I thought! But things being as crazy as they are these days, I start to doubt my own gut feeling.
wink.gif

Hey Stormy...I just wanted to give you some support...for whatever...this is also in response to your DO-YOU-DON'T-YOU-CHAT thingie in PLEBA...I get the sense that you feel out of place/time/whatever with most of the folks who post, and I can empathize with you. Though it doesn't bug me, it is amazing how young and how many new U2 fans there are these days...which is good, but can make you feel out of touch sort of and feeling like you don't have too much in common with the majority of folks who post in, at least, these two forums...PLEBA and ETYKIW..I ramble, but your comments touched me and I sense a kindred spirit in you...and I love the pictures you post!

Originally posted by doctorwho:
All I know for sure is that GypsyHeartGirl really wants U2 to create another "Pop" album - and for Bono to finally cut off that long hippy hair!

Discotheque - BOOM CHA!
biggrin.gif

Ha, ha, ha, very funny! Not!
mad.gif
You know how much Gypsy hates Pop and loves Bono's hair, you ornery devil you!

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
Ha, ha, ha, very funny! Not!
mad.gif
You know how much Gypsy hates Pop and loves Bono's hair, you ornery devil you!

Wasn't that the point of the joke?

hey *Stormy*
It's AWESOME that you had that experience with STP! I try hard to relate to people who came to U2 as a mega-band (as I did to the Stones or the Who), since I found them when they were still coming up... Your insights into your 90s band (I followed so little of rock'n'roll in the 90s) have expanded your frame of reference -- when music becomes more than music, when it becomes tied up in history, in a kind of real "relationship." When you and an artist grew up together... there IS an emotional tie, to the public person(s) if not the private one.

We also tend to assume that Big Stars are somehow assigned their place in the culture, that they "know" they're making art for Top 40 radio or whatever -- but of course, they don't. When even established artists create something new, they are perhaps MORE exposed than unknowns would be; and when they create something that defies public expectations, they're even braver. They make themselves more vulnerable than most of us will ever feel ... write a poem from your heart, from your messy life, and then stand in front of 20,000 people and recite it, not knowing if they're gonna get it or think you're full of shit...

Man, I think about that when I look at the clip of Miami on the Elevation DVD: that night, they had no idea how they would be received. They were coming off POPmart in the public's eyes (Irving Plaza et al notwithstanding), Bono was prepared to work his ass off to reach those people -- he took nothing for granted. How exposed is that? How scary is that? I have little time for folks who write off performing artists as egotists -- yes, in their way, but only because they are willing to risk their egos entirely everytime they step out onstage.

Sorry, didn't know I had a soapbox under me.
tongue.gif
But *Stormy* your post was inspiring. Thanks!

Deb D

I know exactly what you are saying Stormy. It bugs when fans dismiss a bands newer, or different works, and say that they were better before. Specifically with U2, I have said this before, Pop and Zooropa are Excellent albums, if ya don't care for them fine, but they are NOT CRAP. I guess people don;t like change in their music, but change is what keeps a band fresh. Another great example is Pearl Jam who's later work in far superior to there earlier work. Aww man, I probably pissed of someone now but whatever....
*runs and hides under the table*
------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by zooropa16 (edited 04-18-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom