I take back what I've said about the Stuck In A Moment football video in the past!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Just watched it after quite a while. It's a funny video. Bono's doing his mexican waves and his typical "overcome by emotion" facial expressions and sways. Edge keeps slipping and falling and refuses to get up. Larry's cheering like a mad man. Adam's hardly watching the game, just coolly reading a sports daily with ironically a soccer story on the front page. The best part of the whole video is the ending when one of the referees, I think, calmly hits the ball thru the posts. :lol:

I've always hated this video cos they look so silly and the whole Flys vs. Lemons thing seemed kinda lame to me. And I probably also let my "meh" feeling for american football cloud my judgment of the video. But it's a nice light-hearted video where the band are just taking it easy.

I hate that video with a passion , much prefer the other version.

vaz02 said:
I hate that video with a passion , much prefer the other version.

Would you hate it as much if it featured soccer/football instead? I don't think so. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
Just watched it after quite a while. It's a funny video. Bono's doing his mexican waves and his typical "overcome by emotion" facial expressions and sways. Edge keeps slipping and falling and refuses to get up. Larry's cheering like a mad man. Adam's hardly watching the game, just coolly reading a sports daily with ironically a soccer story on the front page. The best part of the whole video is the ending when one of the referees, I think, calmly hits the ball thru the posts. :lol:

I've always hated this video cos they look so silly and the whole Flys vs. Lemons thing seemed kinda lame to me. And I probably also let my "meh" feeling for american football cloud my judgment of the video. But it's a nice light-hearted video where the band are just taking it easy.

It's a horrible video, but it's funny. I still love Edge possibly cracking his skull on the stairs while still on the ground singing.

This version is just very bad. It wanted to be an original video, it ended with something with a bad taste.

...Unlike the "van version", much more simple, and artistically better.

Re: Re: I take back what I've said about the Stuck In A Moment football video in the

coolian2 said:
I thought that was the kicker from earlier.

Maybe. I don't know american football much.

Re: Re: I take back what I've said about the Stuck In A Moment football video in the past

coolian2 said:
I thought that was the kicker from earlier.

Exactly. See, he's all old and stuff now, and after reliving his moment of failure for umpteen zillion years, he gets to kick the ball through the goalposts!

And when the kicker turns into the postman at the end, it's in tribute to Bono's father who was a postman. See? It makes sense now. :wink:

I don't get why people hate this video. It's U2 being unpretentious for once. You guys would rather have another weird video with masses of overturned boxes of lemons or people staring at lightbulbs?

Nukka please. Sorry the Euroboobs and Southeast Asiacrats on this board don't enjoy American football.

Zootlesque said:

Would you hate it as much if it featured soccer/football instead? I don't think so. :wink:

Yeah i probs hate it just as much, its the whole leomons fly thing and the last kick of the game sort of speak , its corny.

Canadiens1160 said:
I don't get why people hate this video. It's U2 being unpretentious for once. You guys would rather have another weird video with masses of overturned boxes of lemons or people staring at lightbulbs?

Nukka please. Sorry the Euroboobs and Southeast Asiacrats on this board don't enjoy American football.

U2 being unpretentious worked in Discotheque because it was (a) funny and (b) creatively directed. This video was neither.

I watch and enjoy American Football, but unfortunately it didn't make this video any better. That they shelved a Radioheadesque video (of Radiohead calibre, I might add) for this version is a sad commentary on either what U2 thinks appeals to the American market, or what actually does.

God. Fucking. Awful.

Canadiens1160 said:

It's not a question of featuring American football, it's the intention of the video and concept of the same. It's, like someone said, U2-kissing-and-licking-on-US-public-arse.

The "van video" have nothing of this.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Because any time U2 mentions America in a video, it's pandering.

Nice try creating a straw man to knock down, but no. I doubt most of the dissenters here would bash the videos for I Still Haven't Found, Desire, etc.

Sucking In A Video They Should've Got Out Of was part of a total assault on the U.S. market to regain the band's popularity lost after Pop. It's the same thing with their "contribution" to the Tomb Raider soundtrack, and the equally awful video that went with Elevation Remix. Yeah, the concept (Good U2 vs. Bad U2) is only slightly cringeworthy on its own, but the execution makes it even worse.

It's not a coincidence that both videos were directed by the artistically empty Joseph Kahn, who also, brought us the cinematic masterpiece Torque.

When you lose such a large part of your core audience, wouldn't you want to gain it back? The entire ATYCLB album's sound and market push was a way to reclaim the audience they might've lost during the '90s, at least that's what I've thought. Maybe I'm way off-base here, but whatever.

I'm not trying to defend their choice of videos, Stuck isn't some work of genius, but neither is most of their video catalogue.

Would the conversation change if they were at a football/soccer match instead of American football? I think it would, especially after reading the thread a while back about the poster who thought the Super Bowl Flag Jacket was some type of menace.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
When you lose such a large part of your core audience, wouldn't you want to gain it back?

There are several marketing strategies to do that.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Would the conversation change if they were at a football/soccer match instead of American football?

Someone asked me that, I answered above... ;)

Aygo said:

There are several marketing strategies to do that.

And this was one of them.

Bono half-heartedly doing the Wave is pretty funny, too.

This video was a business decision, that's all. Dumb, gimmicky clip aimed squarely at America. I'm not going to say "pandering" or "licking America's balls" but a lovely song like this deserves something much less screwball. Even if you don't dig the song, you can't ignore the original intent involving Michael H. The goofiness is fun or whatever, but inappropriate for this tune.

The van version is much better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom